CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-02-2014, 05:35 AM   #1
Jason Marceaux

Profile:
elbow/forearm pain

To start this post, let me say I have HORRIBLE mobility... all over. Itís something I have been working on and making progress, however... I cannot put a barbell in a front rack position properly.

A little over a month ago I did a Bear Complex WOD with a decent amount of weight. Since I canít put the bar in a front rack, all the weight was constantly on my arms. And of course like a dummy I increased my weight with every round.

The next day I had some elbow/forearm pain, and couldnít grip anything. I haven't done any grip work, or pretty much anything that would cause pain thinking it would heal on its own, but that approach hasn't worked.

I am pretty sure its tendonitis. The last few days I have been taking ibuprofen and occasionally wearing one of those forearm braces and occasionally using an icepack.

I really want to get back into the WODs, but are unable right now.

Any advice on how to make this injury heal faster?
Old 04-02-2014, 06:58 AM   #2
Richard Deyan

Profile:
Re: elbow/forearm pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Marceaux View Post
To start this post, let me say I have HORRIBLE mobility... all over. Itís something I have been working on and making progress, however... I cannot put a barbell in a front rack position properly.

A little over a month ago I did a Bear Complex WOD with a decent amount of weight. Since I canít put the bar in a front rack, all the weight was constantly on my arms. And of course like a dummy I increased my weight with every round.

The next day I had some elbow/forearm pain, and couldnít grip anything. I haven't done any grip work, or pretty much anything that would cause pain thinking it would heal on its own, but that approach hasn't worked.

I am pretty sure its tendonitis. The last few days I have been taking ibuprofen and occasionally wearing one of those forearm braces and occasionally using an icepack.

I really want to get back into the WODs, but are unable right now.

Any advice on how to make this injury heal faster?
Jason,

To say it is tendonitis is accurate, but does not really help. Tendonitis is typically described as the acute inflammation of tissues, which definitely describes what you have. But it is a catch-all phrase. Since you weren't able to properly front rack, it usually causes a load sequencing error to the elbows first instead of the shoulders. The inability to be in a good front rack position almost always translates to the inability to have a good rack position for the back squat as well, which also causes pain and issues for the elbows.

To recover quicker, I would honestly ditch the ibuprofen. While it is an anti-inflammatory, it can also slow down the overall recovery efforts. I would constantly encourage movement and use of your arms. Using a soft ball to really massage and smash the tissues in your forearms, biceps, and triceps would help a lot. Apply some heat and continue to massage the area with your other hand or someone willing to do it for you.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:23 AM   #3
Jason Marceaux

Profile:

Thanks for your reply.

I did a little Google work this morning on some exercises and stretches. One of them is where I hold my arm out straight, make a fist and try to point my fist up. Hold that for 10 sec. and take my other hand and try to push my fist down for 10 sec. Do that 5 reps and try to work up to additional reps. This causes some pain in my elbow/forearm area.

Another one was to squeeze a soft squishy ball. This one also causes some pain.

Should I stop doing these and do the others that do not cause pain, or is a little pain okay?

Also, should I be doing the stretches and exercises with or without my brace?
Old 04-02-2014, 12:45 PM   #4
Brian Strump

Profile:

If you have weakened grip, or it causes your pain, I'm going to tell you it's unlikely the elbow pain has much to do about mobility.

Your finger flexors all attached to your medial elbow. You are likely compensating with your grip for something else...somewhere. Many possible culprits including dysfunction of the core, lats, mid or lower traps, wrist or finger extensors, and tricep to name a few.