CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-03-2012, 03:13 AM   #1
Alex Novak

Profile:
Strenght

Should crossfiter do for strenght things like 5x5 or more EMOM or every 2 minutes work? I video"treaining with champions" Mikko Salo and Dan Bailey do 5x5, but i know rich is doing mostly Emom or every 2 minutes and even in outlaw its more likle establish you max. and lifts with 30-90 sec. rest, rarely there is rest as needed. also i have question for uper body strenght/endurance.Is it good to do pullups(2x/week weighted pull ups) every training day(6 days) and do dips 3x/week and ohp 3x/week?I usualy do 5 sets with 90 sec rest inbetween, but for ohp i will do 5x5 and hi-range reps only 1x/per week.
Strenght and oly lifts are my biggest weknesses, but i dont wanna go to much specific. I squat 3x/week, deadlift 1x/week and do one olympic lift every day+i do metcon/run 3x per week.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:51 AM   #2
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:
Re: Strenght

5x5 is pretty proven stuff. Trying to move the weight before you are ready isn't doing much for strength. EMOM and the such has it's place, but raw strength building isn't it in my opinion. You could toss a workout with a little less weight and challenge yourself that way, but I wouldn't do that if you are working up to max weight. Pavel suggests trying 80% your 1 RM and doing a EMOM type workout until you feel very close to failure. and can't make it for 5 reps. It looks like you have a lot of work you do each week. I might suggest cutting back on your OP to twice a week, sub a pullups day with heavy barbell rows. To be honest, you should look at something like CFFB, Madcow 5x5, 5/3/1, or Westside. You can add a single oly lift to any of this stuff easily enough and a metcon later, or much earlier than your lifting. If you want to get stronger, you might have to put other things on the back burner for a bit.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:06 AM   #3
Alex Novak

Profile:

I have noticed my body reactes very well to higher volume of training. I do barbell rows 1x/week. I will contnue doing same thing and will add one squat /deadlift EMOM session on last day of training in future.I have question about 5x5. Let say I PR-ed last session or today session os 5 rep squat. How much % of that should i use on other 5 or 4 sets?
Old 11-03-2012, 07:00 AM   #4
Caine Peters

Profile:

ive missed the boat somewhere, whats emom?
Old 11-03-2012, 07:17 AM   #5
Dylan Forbes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine Peters View Post
ive missed the boat somewhere, whats emom?
Every Minute On the Minute
Old 11-03-2012, 08:07 AM   #6
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Novak View Post
Strength and Oly lifts are my biggest weaknesses, but i don't wanna go to much specific. I squat 3x/week, deadlift 1x/week and do one Olympic lift every day+i do met-con/run 3x per week.
First don't follow the training you see the Games competitors doing. Their training is right for them but wrong for you.

You need a program for your current level. If strength is your weakness it is built fastest using an organized program. Starting Strength, Grey skull LP, Wendler 5/3/1 and so on.

We need age, height, weight and current lifting numbers to point you in the correct direction.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
Alex Novak

Profile:

I started to lift/do pull ups/dips in july
weight: 73,5 kg(162 lbs)
height:176 cm(5.7 feet)
I do all squats ATG:
Back squat:105kg(231lbs)x2
Front squat:90kg(200lbs)x3

DL:135kg(300lbs)x3
OHP:50kg(110lbs)x3
15 strict pull ups, 14 ring dips
power clean: 75kg(165lbs)x3
power snatch:50kg(110lbs)x3

I train in basement and cant do real olympic lifts or metcons, so i want to build solid base of strenght and endurance(run). I can handle big volume very well.
I hate to do some program i rather say that I will squat 3x/week and try to do 5 working sets.in 3 months I added 35 kg(77 lbs) on back squat, and can do 11 more pull ups, and when i started i couldnt even do ring dip.

Last edited by Alex Novak : 11-03-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
Jeff Enge

Profile:

The question is, WHY do you have such an aversion to doing a proven program?
Old 11-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
Alex Novak

Profile:

Beacouse i dont like to have some plan of weights that i want to lift. I am still at school so in order to get studing done and workout done sometimes i lack eneough sleep and sometime i just feel like treining 7 or 8 days in row and maybe squat 4-5 times. I will now try 5x5 3 times per week. I will do reps with 5 lbs from my 5rep PR and will add 5 pound every week.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Novak View Post
Beacouse i dont like to have some plan of weights that i want to lift. I am still at school so in order to get studing done and workout done sometimes i lack eneough sleep and sometime i just feel like treining 7 or 8 days in row and maybe squat 4-5 times. I will now try 5x5 3 times per week. I will do reps with 5 lbs from my 5rep PR and will add 5 pound every week.
Really Wendler 5/3/1 is a good fit for this situation. On stressed days you just do the minimal work on tough days you take it to the limit and do some added accessory work.