CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-18-2012, 11:11 PM   #11
Ben Norris

Profile:
Re: Squats and Hip flexor pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Zoda View Post
Hmm, I have never heard of or considered this. How does one go about diagnosing/fixing the dorsiflexion of the ankle?

Edit: NVM, anybody else interested in this concept check out this mobilitywod http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/02/t...squatting.html (wfs)

This is interesting, I need to try this.
MWOD number 3 really works the ankle flexibility.

To the OP sounds like you need to really hit up some hip flexor mobility work. I would bet the farm that they are short
Old 03-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #12
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Norris View Post
MWOD number 3 really works the ankle flexibility.

To the OP sounds like you need to really hit up some hip flexor mobility work. I would bet the farm that they are short
Dear lord, I just had a revelation watching this stuff.

In recent times I have been washing my face in the bath tub, for which I assume an odd possition that actually made me realize my ankle dorsiflexion in my right foot is less than the left!

In this right leg, whichis a little bit externally rotated, is that I kindof "impinge" something in the hip flexor with squats. And yes, this right knee wants to come inwards, much more than the left. I was just trying the third-world squat with feet pointing straight ahead and I can tell it's very tough on that right ankle, almost a bit painful. So the right foot naturally wants to point outwards in said possition. But according to Kelly that causes impingement in the hip?? I'm gonna watch this again just in case.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #13
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Yes, yes and yes!

I definitely need this. Exact same issue. Which makes it impossible to push the knee out on Pistols with that leg! (Perfect pistols with the other leg). And it hurts right in that corner where he says. Wow am I glad I found this.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #14
Deniz Firat

Profile:

Arturo;
I don't want to make you nervous, but please do consider checking into a potential hip labral tear. Hip labral tears do get misdiagnosed often that leads to major problems in the future.
I am suggesting that you look into this (MRI) because hip labral tears do have similar symptoms as hip flexor tendinitis and bursitis. Be your own doctor and consider all potential causes for your injuty.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #15
Brian Strump

Profile:

Good find. Your body is going to find the mobility somewhere, and the knee is the next spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Zoda View Post
Hmm, I have never heard of or considered this. How does one go about diagnosing/fixing the dorsiflexion of the ankle?

Edit: NVM, anybody else interested in this concept check out this mobilitywod http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/02/t...squatting.html (wfs)

This is interesting, I need to try this.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #16
Nathan Schnur

Profile:

I had this same problem a few weeks ago!! saw a PT had a grade one hip flexor sprain.

i took a week off and iced the sh*t out of it.
went back to look at my squat form, feet were too wide, and my knees were going straight forward, not out over my toes. Hope that helps some!
Old 03-21-2012, 06:39 AM   #17
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Deniz: whatever it was, it is healed now. I had to stop training my legs for about 4 months. I could still do some Hip Thrusts (with a barbell) for the glutes, glute-ham raises for the hammies... but not much more. It was awful, but I'm healed.

The thing is, I have this exact problem Kelly talks about, everything he said describes me, even the pistol thing. I need this ankle mobility as it's making my right knee cave inwards in everything from squats, lunges, bulgarian split squats, pistols.... with my left leg I can sit on the bottom ofthe pistol with the knee way out and the foot flat on the ground, feels really solid. With the right, in order to get the knee out, the foot kindof goes to it's outer edge! No wonder when I try to get up it instantly goes back to the ground: bringin the knee way in in the process. I suposse the same thing happened doing weighedb ulgarian split squats when I hurt an adductor muscle.

With this, I have a new thought. I had strained what seemed to be an adductor muscle near the groin, because of these exercises. Would it make sense to assume the adductor got strained because the knee caved in, so the adductor had to work too hard (instead of the hip extensors)? I just want to know out of curiosity. In my head, it seems if the knee is inwards, the adductor would bear more of the load? Perhaps I'm wrong, just want your opinion.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #18
Michael Zoda

Profile:

Any exercise suggestions while I'm letting the hip heal. I plan on targeting all of my weakness (glute min, ankle dorsiflexion, hip extension/mobility) but for now I really cant squat. Even 135 kills my hip as soon as I hit parallel.

So I will stop squatting for awhile. Not sure what I should do on my squat days while the pain goes down?

I was thinking maybe some lunges (if theres no pain) good mornings, barbell hip bridges, glute ham raise, any other suggestions?? What about half squats?? are they even worth it? I'm okay until I hit parallel. I was also thinking sumo squats, they might help with the whole knees out weight on the heals thing.

I'd also like to add that I can deadlift just fine. I deadlift sumo style, and I did some heavy tripples yesterday at 405 with no pain. In fact my hips felt great, and even better after my deads.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #19
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

405 for triples, nice dude!

What's funny is that this is very similar to what happened to me: I could DL just fine, but could not squat, when I developed a similar pain.

Your suggestions seem fine, with the Sumo deads and all you mentioned it should be enough to keep you strong. heavy barbell hip bridges (which I call hip thrusts), GHRs and the like will keep you strong. After some weeks of rest I remember I started doing weighed barbell step-ups with no pain even if I went heavy, so keep those in mind if you wish more variety.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #20
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Continuing to hijack this thread.... this has been eye-opening.

I had stretched the calf before, but with a straight leg, and it feels fine, like ROM is decent and all.

But when I stretch it with a bent knee, on the right side, it hurts a bit when I reach end ROM. I didn't think this was normal. So I went ahead and I did 3 sets supersetting calf raises with a bent leg, seated, with the bar on top of my thigh (used the padding I bought for Hip Thrusts), lowering slowly and trying to increase ROM at the bottom, and also did some dorsiflexion with a band. After the 3 sets of each I tried again toget into the "3rd world squat" possition (with feet pointing nearly straight ahead), and again tried to push my knee as forward and outwards as I could (while keeping the foot on the floor, trying not to let the inside of it lifting off), and this time I could reach the End Range without pain... it just stops at the end of the ROM, as it should, but without pain! Which I guess is good news??

I was piecing things together, and it seems I was much healthier at a time when I wore Vibrams all the time and actually did some short runs (usually as part of a metcon) in them. It seems the lower leg musculature is just not worked enough with the traditional barbell/dumbell movements, plus walking around with shoes. This is my conclusion. In fact I remember everytime I take a hiatus from running (like the current one which hasbeen going on for perhaps over a year, lol), even a short run (8 minutes or so) in my Vibrams makes me sore in muscles I nevereven knew I had (they feel deep inside the lower leg, to both sides, outside/inside... not the calf per se, but other muscles, and the shin muscles). Even though I absolutely hate cardio/running... I am actually thinking of doing short, 8-10 minutes jogs a few times a week (I don't want to commit to every day because I hate this!!) just for the sake of making the feet/lower leg stronger and healthier. With perhaps a set of my home-made version of the seated calf-raise and foot dorsiflexor before it, so it's warm and has all the ROM it needs. This can't hurt, we shall see.