CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #11
James Orr

Profile:
Re: "Battle" ropes

The end of the Rogue has heat shrink. I should actually shrink it up some more as it still slides quite a bit.

I'm really happy with whatever rope they use. We've had it for about a year without any real splintering.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #12
Jamie Hentig

Profile:

The metal ending could probably be done DIY.... but it's pretty well done, and done nicely. It's not that it really adds anything to it, but it's nice.... but that fact that it doesn't add anything is exactly why I wouldn't take the time or effort to do it DIY
Old 03-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #13
Marco Pineda

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Orr View Post
The end of the Rogue has heat shrink. I should actually shrink it up some more as it still slides quite a bit.

I'm really happy with whatever rope they use. We've had it for about a year without any real splintering.
thanks, Rob. I now need to find some 1 1/2 in heat shrink.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #14
Ralphie_Martinez

Profile:

Thanks everyone for the input I appreciate it all, I may have a vendor that will do poly 50' 1.5 diameter for $135 out the door if anyone's interested I will see if he'll do more than just the deal with me. Thanks again everyone!!!
Old 03-13-2012, 06:32 AM   #15
Tim Trujillo

Profile:

Ralphie, I bought the cheapest Manilla that sell. I had a already purchased a 12' piece as a climbing rope. I love it, the ship fast and cheap. I duct taped the end to stop fraying. We do workouts in the park and use it for battle rope, sled pulls across the grass. I have not gotten it soaking wet, but it has stood up to light morning dew.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:39 AM   #16
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

It's not hard to backsplice 3 strand lne. It would make the end a little thicker (a good thing) and last a lot longer than heat shrink. This is especially true if you're not buying a specialty line from AoS or Rogue, etc, but rope from a rope manufacturer.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #17
Nalin Prabhu

Profile:

Not sure if anyone already mentioned this- but manilla rope makes a mess- we have to clean up after each class if there are rope climbs involved. May not be as bad with battling ropes- but just something to think about.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #18
Tom Taylor

Profile:

Regarding what Nalin just said, it is way worse with the battling/conditioning rope drills. We used to anchor the manilla ropes to either the octagon or the bag stand and the friction made a HUGE mess. If you have to go with manilla rope let me know I have some tips for saving the rope and limiting the mess.

Tom
Old 03-15-2012, 02:49 AM   #19
David Heyer

Profile:

It is crazy how much they charge for a rope. I use an old chain, and it works really well. The best part is, I got it for free! Another option is to get some cheap wal-mart rope and braid it to make a fast rope. Check out this site for directions: http://www.itstactical.com/skillcom/...-for-climbing/
Old 03-22-2012, 08:37 AM   #20
Tim Trujillo

Profile:

I gorilla taped my ends and have no problems, I also use the 50 footer to pull my sled like a tug of war with a piece of webbing slipped through the braid just above the tape and pull 150#s around the park with no sign of wear on the taped end. Cheap, easy, and tough is all I care about.