CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-19-2011, 12:01 PM   #11
Michael Dries

Profile:
Re: "Toning"

I've found it's best not to mess with a significant other's exercise or eating habits. Guiding them when they ask for help is one thing, telling them what they are doing is wrong is well... good luck.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:25 PM   #12
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

I agree with the comments that say leave it alone if she's enjoying it.

But as someone who has taken more than a couple of dance lessons and won more than a couple of dance competitions, I have to say this: Most dance-based exercise programs are kinda sorta using something similar to dance techniques but without the upside of actually learning how to dance. They also aren't known to produce high levels of fitness either. I'm talking about the Bar Method, Zumba, Jazzercise, or any program that promises to "get a body like a dancer!" etc.

If she wants dance with a fitness emphasis, find a ballet or latin dance technique class. There are several in your area.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:20 PM   #13
Don Reynolds

Profile:

Someday all that squatting and hip thrusting might be put to good use.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:30 AM   #14
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
I agree with the comments that say leave it alone if she's enjoying it.

But as someone who has taken more than a couple of dance lessons and won more than a couple of dance competitions, I have to say this: Most dance-based exercise programs are kinda sorta using something similar to dance techniques but without the upside of actually learning how to dance. They also aren't known to produce high levels of fitness either. I'm talking about the Bar Method, Zumba, Jazzercise, or any program that promises to "get a body like a dancer!" etc.
There is a Bar Method where I work and I have to say that the women that go in there have some of the best bodies I've ever seen. I've seen some women in their 50's with smoking bodies. They must be doing something right.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:32 AM   #15
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
If she does not get the results she is looking for from the class then she might try Paleo and strength basis CrossFit. I think she would agree most of the female Games athletes meet the definition of "toned".
...or on juice
Old 09-20-2011, 06:08 AM   #16
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Traeger View Post
...or on juice
On no he didn't!
Old 09-20-2011, 06:14 AM   #17
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
On no he didn't!
http://media.crossfit.com/G2011Press...amoto_Sled.jpg

(wfs)
Old 09-20-2011, 07:32 AM   #18
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Woman-bear-pig I saw other photos of her before and thought, damn! I think that is very unattractive, but hey I guess you don't become an athlete looking good! I on the other hand am too ruggedly handsome to be and athlete I would surmise.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:14 PM   #19
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
I think she would agree most of the female Games athletes meet the definition of "toned".
the body of games athletes is not what most women i know have in mind when they say "toned", more like a hollywood starlet or victoria secret model. i think "toned" to most people is simple a slang term than means not too soft but not too hard. not too fat, but not too ripped. no spots that jiggle, but not too buff. etc.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:09 PM   #20
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Traeger View Post
CF doesn't test for anabolic use, but one picture doesn't make one positive for use either. When I saw a picture of myself mid-clean at Nationals in the paper years ago, I thought, "eww, that's gross" - muscles and veins popping out in my neck and arms. If I was standing next to you in regular street clothes, you'd have never known I was a lifter. Heck, I don't even like to take tylenol.

Last edited by Veronica Carpenter : 09-20-2011 at 04:12 PM.