CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-13-2011, 11:55 PM   #1
Chris Kidd

Profile:
Help with running

Hey guys and gals,
I don't post very often just basically search and browse. I found similar discussions to this but nothing specific to my needs really. If I overlooked it, I apologize.
I've been CrossFitting for about 2 yrs. I'm 38 and 180 lbs. My strength is decent and the wods that do not include running are also decent. But my biggest weakness is running, form included and I'm working on that. Anything over 400m is horrible. I really struggle. My best 1 mile time is 9:58 and that was tough. I would really like to be able to run in 5k races fairly regulary.
I've looked at the "Couch to 5K Program" but not sure how effective that really is. Could be the ticket and if so, great. CrossFit Endurance looks to be a bit out of my league right now. Do any of you know of a progressive type program I can work up to not only completing a 5k but doing so in a respectable time.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 06-14-2011, 02:30 AM   #2
Doug Blankenship

Profile:
Re: Help with running

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kidd View Post
Hey guys and gals,
I don't post very often just basically search and browse. I found similar discussions to this but nothing specific to my needs really. If I overlooked it, I apologize.
I've been CrossFitting for about 2 yrs. I'm 38 and 180 lbs. My strength is decent and the wods that do not include running are also decent. But my biggest weakness is running, form included and I'm working on that. Anything over 400m is horrible. I really struggle. My best 1 mile time is 9:58 and that was tough. I would really like to be able to run in 5k races fairly regulary.
I've looked at the "Couch to 5K Program" but not sure how effective that really is. Could be the ticket and if so, great. CrossFit Endurance looks to be a bit out of my league right now. Do any of you know of a progressive type program I can work up to not only completing a 5k but doing so in a respectable time.

Thanks,
Chris
What hurts first when you run? Legs or lungs?
Old 06-14-2011, 02:49 AM   #3
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

In most cases when I see an individual who struggles to run it comes down to form. Video evidence could be of help.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:24 AM   #4
Chris Kidd

Profile:

I think normally its my lungs that hurt first but legs pretty soon afterward. I'm sure its a stamina or endurance deal but I just dont know how to progressively improve this.
I guess I'm leaning toward the "couch to 5k program". Doing this 2-3 times per week and regular crossfit strength and metcon wods 2-3 days per week. After I can get my 5k where I want it, I hope just doing crossfit will keep it there.

Chris
Old 06-14-2011, 06:19 AM   #5
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Chris, I'm not sure how you have been doing CF for sometime now and your running still sucks. I did CF for a year and a half and I ran a 8:50 mile and a half rather easily and often just from CF alone.

I'm known as pretty much the slowest person you could ever meet when it comes to running and I got fast just doing CF. Keep pushing hard and maybe throw in more sprints.

I no longer do CF at all but my run times have pretty much stayed the same and I do sprints 1 day a week. Mixing up 50, 100, 200, 400 meter sprints.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:32 AM   #6
John A. Smith

Profile:

This thread might be helpful: http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=67757 (WFS)
Old 06-14-2011, 06:32 AM   #7
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kidd View Post
I think normally its my lungs that hurt first but legs pretty soon afterward. I'm sure its a stamina or endurance deal but I just dont know how to progressively improve this.
I guess I'm leaning toward the "couch to 5k program". Doing this 2-3 times per week and regular crossfit strength and metcon wods 2-3 days per week. After I can get my 5k where I want it, I hope just doing crossfit will keep it there.

Chris

C25k is a very sensible program and people have had great results with it.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:27 AM   #8
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

That is a bit weird that your running hasn't improved. I'm very much similar, running is one of my greatest weaknesses... but I've had prett good improvements in run times since starting CF in september (about -20 sec on my 400, and about -45sec on my 800). The best things to get better at running is to run more often.

This is kind of yucky, but if breathing is a big problem you might try adding 1tbsp of apple cider vinegar to your bottle of water. It helps pretty well for me, I drink about 1/2 the bottle on the way to the gym, and usually my lungs do a better job of keeping up till my legs start holding me back.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:15 PM   #9
Craig Rogers

Profile:

try to keep your breathing steady. How is your pace? is is steady or do you speed up and slow down? I find a playlist helps me keep a steady pace.
I started with the couch to 5k thinking a 5k would be impossible. Now I usually do a 3-5 mile loop.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:24 PM   #10
David Hansen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
That is a bit weird that your running hasn't improved. I'm very much similar, running is one of my greatest weaknesses... but I've had prett good improvements in run times since starting CF in september (about -20 sec on my 400, and about -45sec on my 800). The best things to get better at running is to run more often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
Chris, I'm not sure how you have been doing CF for sometime now and your running still sucks. I did CF for a year and a half and I ran a 8:50 mile and a half rather easily and often just from CF alone.
Very helpful posts, guys. "I don't know why you suck so much. Let me tell you how awesome I am!"