CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
Michael Loucas

Profile:
Setting up bands

I have a squat rack similar to the following. Any ideas of setting up bands for squatting? Would looping them under the feet cause the rack to lift when I squat? Or would it be pulling forward too much?

Thanks!

http://p0.flyerland.ca/images/produc...0916_image.jpg
Old 04-08-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
Daniel Frankel

Profile:
Re: Setting up bands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Loucas View Post
I have a squat rack similar to the following. Any ideas of setting up bands for squatting? Would looping them under the feet cause the rack to lift when I squat? Or would it be pulling forward too much?

Thanks!

http://p0.flyerland.ca/images/produc...0916_image.jpg
Well, if you have dumbbells, loop them under. I did a DE OHP day today, and tied xtra light bands to 55# dumbbells which were on the floor (one per side)

Assuming that your squat will obviously use much heavier bands, if you have the dumbbells, loop your bands under as much weight as possible maybe
Old 04-08-2011, 09:19 PM   #3
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Don't have dumbells. I have olympic dumbell handles but they'll probably roll away.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:10 AM   #4
Ben Moore

Profile:

Quote:
Don't have dumbells. I have olympic dumbell handles but they'll probably roll away.
Put weight on the handles and then chock them with a plate on either side of the dumbbell.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:25 AM   #5
Sean Dunston

Profile:

If you're going to loop the bands on the lower support for your squats then you should do any of the following:
Bolt the rack into the floor
Or
Put extra iron on the pins
Or
Put extra iron on the tabs on the floor where you're supposed to be bolting it to the floor.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #6
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

If you just loop it under the bottom, it won't give you any tension at the bottom of a squat. I would suggest wrapping around the whole bar on the bottom, then back through itself and up to the bar.

How heavy is the rack? What bands will you be using? Chances are that rack will be fine for anything under light bands (mini, monster mini), but light bands might flip it. Give it a test run with just the bar. It might hold down with some weight on the storage pins.

Can you alter it in any way? Drill holes, etc?
Old 04-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #7
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Nakashima View Post
If you just loop it under the bottom, it won't give you any tension at the bottom of a squat. I would suggest wrapping around the whole bar on the bottom, then back through itself and up to the bar.

How heavy is the rack? What bands will you be using? Chances are that rack will be fine for anything under light bands (mini, monster mini), but light bands might flip it. Give it a test run with just the bar. It might hold down with some weight on the storage pins.

Can you alter it in any way? Drill holes, etc?
Not sure how heavy the rack is, it depends how many bumpers I have on it. I have the iron woody bands, the blue green and black bands (will probably start with the blue ones). I guess I should be able to drill holes into the rack, but I can't bolt it to the floor.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:04 PM   #8
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

Quote:
Not sure how heavy the rack is, it depends how many bumpers I have on it. I have the iron woody bands, the blue green and black bands (will probably start with the blue ones). I guess I should be able to drill holes into the rack, but I can't bolt it to the floor.
For the drilling, I was just thinking of different ways you could set them up so you have tension at the bottom of the squat. The way we have our bands set up, the blue IW bands give around 30lbs at the bottom and around 100lbs at the top. So, assuming the rack isn't too light, you should be good to go with the blue bands at least. The greens, however, substantially increase at the top (150+lbs) depending on how you have them set up.