CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
Conrad Mendoza

Profile:
rogue rings strap buckle failure

I have had rogue rings in our affiliate for about a year and some of the straps are starting to slip out of the buckle. Is this normal wear and tear that should be expected and just needs to be replaced? Or is this product failure?
Old 03-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #2
Jared Aquilina

Profile:
Re: rogue rings strap buckle failure

I had rings from another company, I forget whom, but they did the same thing..I am sure this is just a normal thing? I dont know, just a guess.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
Tim Wheeler

Profile:

One of mine slips, it's fixed by pulling out/down on the clasp forcing the teeth into the strap while putting some weight on the ring. Works for me.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:27 PM   #4
Tim Wheeler

Profile:

It's solid til I have to change ring height.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:03 AM   #5
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Something here. We've got one pair of rogue metal rings (out of a dozen or so) that's been in steady use for a couple of years and slips. Been meaning to do something about it for weeks. For now it's in my office until I get to it.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:55 AM   #6
William Henniger

Profile:

Any and all rigging needs inspected prior to each use. Any time you set the rings you should make sure the buckle is set. Especially after straps have been used inside/outside etc.

What we see on straps that slip is that the spring is not as active or there is dirt in the moving parts. Normally you can tell by pulling back on the lever to see if that sets the buckle.

That being said if any of our ring straps slip within the first year of use, just send them back to us and we will replace them.

Rigging is a wear and tear item just like ropes etc so keeping an eye on them is very important.

Let me know if you have any questions here or you can shoot me an email at bill@roguefitness.com

Bill
Old 03-30-2011, 05:28 AM   #7
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Just take wire brush and clean the knurling on the spring lever that grips the strap. The teeth get clogged up with strap fuzz and they will slip. Easy fix and worked every time for us so far.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:10 AM   #8
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Henniger View Post
Any and all rigging needs inspected prior to each use. Any time you set the rings you should make sure the buckle is set. Especially after straps have been used inside/outside etc.

What we see on straps that slip is that the spring is not as active or there is dirt in the moving parts. Normally you can tell by pulling back on the lever to see if that sets the buckle.

That being said if any of our ring straps slip within the first year of use, just send them back to us and we will replace them.

Rigging is a wear and tear item just like ropes etc so keeping an eye on them is very important.

Let me know if you have any questions here or you can shoot me an email at bill@roguefitness.com

Bill
Thanks for quick response as usual, Bill. I'll check it out. I'm not too concerned as this one pair (of many) of your rings we have has seen a LOT of use. As a matter of fact, do you remember crashing the forum a couple of years ago giving away gear on New Year's Day? It's that exact pair of rings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Tarasevich View Post
Just take wire brush and clean the knurling on the spring lever that grips the strap. The teeth get clogged up with strap fuzz and they will slip. Easy fix and worked every time for us so far.
Excellent tip, Randy. Thanks much.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:43 PM   #9
Coy Bethel

Profile:

I know this is an old Thread and most likely no one will care about this post, but I found the Thread a while back when I was dealing with this issue, and wanted to post what worked for me.

I got my Rogue rings about four years ago for recreatioal use. They worked great and love the ease of raising and lowering them (may seem like a simple thing but I have since learned that there are ones that are not easy to use).

Was disappointed that at four years with recreational use the buckles were beginning to fail. I know four years is a decent amount of time, but still, they were not cheap and not exactly beat bad.

I cleaned the buckles, oiled and cleaned the spring...nothing. Then I washed the straps on hot with a little soap, cleaned the buckles again with a metal brush, used gun oil on the spring and used a blow torch to really clean the teeth of the buckle (I truly did this, and was of course careful to stay on teeth).

Works great again. I think the problem was the straps had gotten grimey (I use them outside, so maybe then?).

I'd already ordered another pair of just straps, but still, glad I got the old ones working again.