CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-18-2010, 11:24 PM   #1
Troy Becker

Profile:
Setting up the bands

So, I did some measuring, and when I do a box squat, the bar is 3' off the ground at the bottom. Every band you can come across (except the shorts, which are too short) are 5" (because they're 41") too long to be taught at the bottom.

What's everyone's favorite solution for this?

When you only have a squat rack (no power rack or monolift around).
Old 11-19-2010, 07:37 AM   #2
Daniel Higgins

Profile:
Re: Setting up the bands

Hopefully Chris Mason can chime in here too.

You can double up the bands (if they're mini's) depending on how much is too much tension at the top. This also works if you are wrapping them around the safety pins which are 1-2 feet off the ground. You could also choke the bands around the bottom of the squat rack (where you're looping them) - just wrap them around a few extra times. Heavy dumbells can also be used if you can't wrap them around the squat rack frame. If you use heavy DB's its also nice because you can line the DB handle up parallel with the bar.

I've started using the EFS micro mini (orange) band for squatting and they work fine. Only maybe 30-40 lbs max at the top but thats probably fine for starting out. Just make sure theres band tension for the entire ROM.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:52 AM   #3
Ben Moore

Profile:

Typically you double the band over the bar which essentially cuts the length in half and allows for band tension throughout the movement. You can use plates, dumbells, or anything else heavy to anchor the bands down.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:32 AM   #4
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Higgins View Post
Hopefully Chris Mason can chime in here too.

You can double up the bands (if they're mini's) depending on how much is too much tension at the top. This also works if you are wrapping them around the safety pins which are 1-2 feet off the ground. You could also choke the bands around the bottom of the squat rack (where you're looping them) - just wrap them around a few extra times. Heavy dumbells can also be used if you can't wrap them around the squat rack frame. If you use heavy DB's its also nice because you can line the DB handle up parallel with the bar.

I've started using the EFS micro mini (orange) band for squatting and they work fine. Only maybe 30-40 lbs max at the top but thats probably fine for starting out. Just make sure theres band tension for the entire ROM.
Is that 30-40 when doubled over?
Old 11-19-2010, 09:37 AM   #5
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

You can raise the rack up 1/2" or so and do a lark's foot around the base and attach the other end to the bar. That should take up most slack, if not, add a 2x4 for additional spacing.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:00 AM   #6
Daniel Higgins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
Is that 30-40 when doubled over?
No, single length around the bar and looped around the bottom of the rack 3 times.

30-40 is a very rough estimate of total tension, so 1/2 that for each side.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:29 PM   #7
Troy Becker

Profile:

Cool, thanks everyone.

I was thinking about having some chains attached to the ground of, say, 1.5' in length, and using a short band that is only 1' long. That way it will be in tension constantly since at the bottom of the squat it will be stretched 6' already, and at the top it will be stretched 2.5'. The chains will always be taught since the band will always be stretched and pulling on it.

Creative genius or bad idea?
Old 11-20-2010, 08:41 PM   #8
Chris Mason

Profile:

This is how my training partner and I setup the bands with the crap rack we have at our local Gold's.

WFS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwMnjCuRTGk
Old 11-20-2010, 11:23 PM   #9
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
This is how my training partner and I setup the bands with the crap rack we have at our local Gold's.

WFS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwMnjCuRTGk
I watched the link where you guys actually used them (dayam thats a lot of weight)- how tall are you two, and how high was the box?
Old 11-28-2010, 06:37 AM   #10
Scott Paltos

Profile:

Troy,
Set two heavy dumbells on each side outside your rack (try to have the db total around 160lbs+ )

Loop the band through the handles and through...this will tighten the band naturally

Pop the band on the bar...and get going. This will add tension at the bottom as well.

If you are looking for more tension...add another band.

Remember it's accommodating resistance you are looking for...the bottom should not have nearly as much tension as the top...you want gradual increase at your strongest range.

Good luck,
SP