CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-30-2010, 10:27 PM   #1
Mike Shafer

Profile:
CrossFit and Mass Gains

When I'm home I generally hit up my CrossFit box about 3x/week. In the last few months since I've been consistent, I've noticed that I have most definitely gotten stronger and leaner (staying primal, of course), but I am now interested in producing some mass gains for my upper body. Of course as a fan of CrossFit, Rippetoe, Coach Dos, etc. I can't go back to hitting up my own gym curling 3 sets of 10 every week.

So my question for the community -- what sort of hybrid CrossFit/hypertrophy program should I construct? Even if I was only able to do my hypertrophy component 2x/week to allow for another rest day, that's fine, but what would you recommend doing to build mass in my arms, chest, and lats? I was going to start by doing the 100 pushup challenge and also work my way up to 50 dead hang pullups, and these will take several weeks to do, but afterwards what would you recommend? Is there a particular program that makes sense to follow on top of CrossFit? I don't think I really need to do much lower body since I am squatting and dead lifting generally 3x/week anyway in CrossFit.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:18 PM   #2
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:
Re: CrossFit and Mass Gains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Shafer View Post
When I'm home I generally hit up my CrossFit box about 3x/week. In the last few months since I've been consistent, I've noticed that I have most definitely gotten stronger and leaner (staying primal, of course), but I am now interested in producing some mass gains for my upper body. Of course as a fan of CrossFit, Rippetoe, Coach Dos, etc. I can't go back to hitting up my own gym curling 3 sets of 10 every week.

So my question for the community -- what sort of hybrid CrossFit/hypertrophy program should I construct? Even if I was only able to do my hypertrophy component 2x/week to allow for another rest day, that's fine, but what would you recommend doing to build mass in my arms, chest, and lats? I was going to start by doing the 100 pushup challenge and also work my way up to 50 dead hang pullups, and these will take several weeks to do, but afterwards what would you recommend? Is there a particular program that makes sense to follow on top of CrossFit? I don't think I really need to do much lower body since I am squatting and dead lifting generally 3x/week anyway in CrossFit.
why dont you just follow a standard pper boddy BB split since your goal is to build upper body mass.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:24 PM   #3
Mike Shafer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub Kruhlik View Post
why dont you just follow a standard pper boddy BB split since your goal is to build upper body mass.
What's standard these days? Bench press, bicep curls, cable pulls? 3 sets of 10? Inverted pyramid? 70% of 1RM? Higher reps lower weight? Lower reps higher weight?
Old 10-31-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
Sean Rooks

Profile:

Look up the Russian Bear program by Pavel...it's a tough one, but you will add functional mass to your frame pretty stinking fast.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:41 PM   #5
Mike Shafer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Rooks View Post
Look up the Russian Bear program by Pavel...it's a tough one, but you will add functional mass to your frame pretty stinking fast.
Ah cool it's part of Power to the People. I'll dig into it.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Of course as a fan of CrossFit, Rippetoe, Coach Dos, etc. I can't go back to hitting up my own gym curling 3 sets of 10 every week.
Sure you can- just don't let anyone know you're doing it...
Old 11-01-2010, 05:24 AM   #7
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Of course as a fan of CrossFit, Rippetoe, Coach Dos, etc. I can't go back to hitting up my own gym curling 3 sets of 10 every week.
Have you ever tried doing curls in the squat rack? You'll never want to do Crossfit again afterwards.

Honestly I would look at doing the 70's Big/CFWF strength and conditioning program. Seems a lot of folks are having some great results there. Personally I would lean that way, or the 5-3-1 with cf. I did a similar program and saw great gains.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:09 PM   #8
Sean Rooks

Profile:

Quote:
Ah cool it's part of Power to the People. I'll dig into it.
It's good at what it is meant for. Putting a heap of muscle on fast, if mass gain was my goal I would do this again. But your recovery does have to be dialed in, because it is tough to recover from.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:48 PM   #9
Kevin Shaughnessy

Profile:

Heres a write up on Pavels bear routine: http://****************.com/resource...ad.php?t=17875 (WFS, replace stars with starting strength).
Old 11-01-2010, 01:57 PM   #10
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Eat more.