CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-04-2006, 02:36 PM   #1
Kevin McKay

Profile:
What do you guys thing is easier on the tendons ring pullups or towel pullups?
Old 09-04-2006, 04:50 PM   #2
Michael Stehle

Profile:
Ring pullups are much more forgiving. Towel pulls work the heck out of your grip and could make for unhappy tendons.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:36 PM   #3
Sean Peters

Profile:
I have been pretty much doing only towel pull-ups and have had good luck---I'm a big time recovering Golfer's Elbow patient. If I do a bunch (more than 100 as some WODs are written) I will usually feel it the next day though.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:44 AM   #4
Tim Triche, Jr.

Profile:
Towel pullups force a neutral (neither particularly pronated nor particularly flexed) grip in many people. If you are unconsciously flexing (false-grip style) your forearms on the rings, then towel pullups are likely to be easier on your tendons.

I find that I tend to grip the towel the way I grip my ice tools, which is somewhat less than ergonomic; if you look at the new-wave leashless ice tools, all of the high-level competitors and professional guides seem to be migrating to the ergonomic shape of eg. the Quark Ergo-type grips. Those are, not coincidentally, more similar to the type of grip you use on rings than to the type of grip you use on a towel. The rings are obviously not as demanding as a friction grip on a towel, but I feel like they're more ergonomic.

This is just my $0.02. If you're having serious pain in either configuration, even whilst being mindful of your flexion/pronation, I would suggest that you see a doctor or a physical therapist.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:04 PM   #5
Sean Manseau

Profile:
not that this adds anything to the technical info being supplied but after that 90 towel dip WOD last week, my fingers hurt for three or four days. my gym doesn't have climbing ropes -- does anyone think rigging a kind of primitive pulley system and then hauling up my bodyweight's worth of plates would be the equivalent of a rope climb?
Old 09-06-2006, 04:18 AM   #6
Chris Barclay

Profile:
inexperienced at this so just my 2pw - I've been doing towels PUs for about a month and can no longer feel the tips of my index fingers! no probs with elbows though. I do notice a bit of pain when I do the odd bar PU tho'