CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-18-2010, 05:27 PM   #1
John Stone

Profile:
Typical day for me

I was reading the "Post what you ate today" thread and this is what I ate today:

-----------

Breakfast: 16 oz milk+8oz water+2 scoops Jay Robb protein mix (45g protein, 420 kcal)
assorted raw nuts (pecan, walnut, almond) with 6 strawberries

pre-workout: 8oz milk+8oz water+1 scoop Jay Robb protein mix (35g protein, 210 kcal)

WOD #1

post work-out: 8oz milk+8oz water+1 scoop Jay Robb protein mix (35g protein, 210 kcal)

WOD #2

post work-out: 8oz milk+8oz water+1 scoop Jay Robb protein mix (35g protein, 210 kcal)

WOD #3

16 oz milk+8oz water+2 scoops Jay Robb protein mix (45g protein, 420 kcal)

Total:

195g protein / 1470 kcal (not counting nuts and berries)

Haven't eaten dinner yet.

----------

Will probably eat brown rice mixed with raw spinach and cheddar cheese for dinner. Will definitely push the kcal over 2.3k for the day.

Feedback appreciated.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
Jeff Binek

Profile:
Re: Typical day for me

I'm so confused, theres no food here....no "diet"...what do you want feedback on? Give up the shakes and eat some real food IMO. Theres no time frames, no description on the WoDs you're doing? Is this serious?
My Numbers: 6'2" 225lbs: DL 565, BS 455, FS 400, Clean 330, Jerk 325, C&J 325, Snatch 250, Fran: 2:27, Helen: 6:43
Old 06-18-2010, 07:48 PM   #3
John Stone

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Binek View Post
I'm so confused, theres no food here....no "diet"...what do you want feedback on?

You are being hyperbolic, there is food:

Raw nuts
Organic Berries
Brown Rice
Organic Spinach
Cheddar Cheese (a small amount)
Milk (a lot)
Natural Whey Protein Supplements

The WODs have already been listed in my Workout Log (if you'd looked here http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...234#post796234 WFS of course)

My main interest in feedback is: with protein and quality calorie counts being met, is there a medical reason to eat large gobs of food?

One of the main problems I had with strict Paleo, and diets like Zone, is that I spend almost all of my waking hours in some stage of digestion of food. This makes is very difficult for me to exercise to my full potential, so I've been trying alternative approaches (while trying to maintain the quality of the food I do eat).

I felt great today, and in fact I've felt great all week, eating like this (though usually I've eaten some meat for dinner and not rice, but dinner is basically my only solid meal). My asking for feedback is based on wanting feedback: is this a common way to get protein and calories? Are there any pitfalls to eating like this? Et cetera. I think of it like GOMAD, minus some food, plus some supplementary protein.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
Steven Chicoine

Profile:

If you are doing 3 WoDs a day you need to be eating way more calories and actually be eating food and not just protein shakes. Most of that protein is useless for recovery because you are just going to burn it for energy. Increase fat consumption massively eat a bunch more meat (not just lean) and a bunch more veggies.

Also raw nuts unless soaked are not good to eat.

I think you will burn out eating like this doing 3 WoDs a day.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:36 PM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Actual food contains a wide variety of micronutrients that are not present in supplements. Red meat, for example, is a major source of iron, B-complex vitamins, and other good things. Since the interactions among foods are not well understood, it is impossible to duplicate them in a diet based on isolated macronutrients like protein powder.

Besides which, food tastes better.

FWIW, I get 2000 calories per day, and I'm a small woman and not doing 3 WODs per day.

Katherine

Last edited by Katherine Derbyshire : 06-18-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:08 AM   #6
John Stone

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Chicoine View Post
If you are doing 3 WoDs a day you need to be eating way more calories ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Actual food contains a wide variety of micronutrients that are not present in supplements.

FWIW, I get 2000 calories per day, and I'm a small woman and not doing 3 WODs per day.

Thanks for the feedback. I understand what you're saying about "real" food Katherine. That is why I have 2 actual meals a day (though honestly, my breakfast maybe isn't much of a "real" meal and I am going to re-evaluate it and maybe increase my real food intake).

As for calories, I've been reading on the subject a lot and it seemed (to me, unless I am understanding things incorrectly) that upping protein to 1:1 gram:lb LBM helps to cover musculature growth/energy needs even when restricting calories somewhat. [this and reading about GOMAD is where I thought about supplements, as getting 200+g protein a day on a "regular food" diet while maintaining any sort of calorie limit seemed very difficult, to me]

I started looking around for calorie requirement calculators after reading your responses, came across a thread on this subject at a body building website, and the one that seemed to be most accurate (ie based on lean mass and activity, not just the typical age/gross weight/sex formula) was Katch-McArdle:

BMR = 370 + (21.6 x LBM)
Where LBM = [total weight (kg) x (100 - bodyfat %)]/100

1.2 = Sedentary (Little or no exercise and desk job)
1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active (Light exercise or sports 1-3 days a week)
1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderate exercise or sports 3-5 days a week)
1.7-1.8 = Very Active (Hard exercise or sports 6-7 days a week)
1.9-2.0 = Extremely Active (Hard daily exercise or sports and physical job)
(note: these activity factors generally include a TEF of ~ 15% - which is an average mixed diet).

Using this formula I get a calorie requirement of ~3,300/day to maintain weight while being "Very Active." The caloric intake recommendation to cut body fat while being "Very Active" (at my stats) is 2600 - 3000 a day.

They also state what I've read in many other places, that maintaining (for my LBM) 200+ grams of protein/day in my diet is important.

I'm going to back my activity down again, but ultimately (within 2-3 weeks) I plan on doing a WOD+SS or WOD+531, so I am trying to work out how I get my protein minimums met by then (which is why this thread).

Thanks again for your feedback and opinions.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:29 AM   #7
Jeff Binek

Profile:

Where to start...:

1st of all, Back Squat 7x1 and Bench Press 7x1 are not WoDs, all of what you did on Friday can be grouped together into one workout, just because you're doing something active at different times doesn't mean theyre separate WoDs. WoD entails a metcon (at least when I hear it), lifting is different.

After you lift, especially heavy sets, you need food. You need mass to grow off of. If you look at a 16oz piece of steak, or Eggs, or chicken you can see the mass that is going to be turned into muscle. Your body needs thinks to feed off of.

Because you are 260 and ~20%BF I assume your goals are to lose weight and BF%, and for that you should eat 4-5 small meals a day, and look into the Zone and Paleo. Cut out the Rice immediately, and cheese as well. Stick to low GI vege's with some fruits for your carbs, and lean meats for your protein. Keep each meal around 500cals, and maybe have one supplementary shake after a workout. As for Short, simple strength workouts, like you did Friday, just eat a 3-4 Block zone meal after you're done. You should be around ~2500 cals per day of FOOD, not including your post-metcon shake. If the food is clean you will see the weight and BF% off quickly.

As for programming I would (personally) not do a ton of 7x1, 5x3, etc. STR workouts, or short metcons, instead subbing longer metabolic conditioning workouts, rowing / sprinting intervals, etc...If you are trying to lose weight and BF%, doing 7x1 Bench Press is not going to do a lot for you.
My Numbers: 6'2" 225lbs: DL 565, BS 455, FS 400, Clean 330, Jerk 325, C&J 325, Snatch 250, Fran: 2:27, Helen: 6:43
Old 06-19-2010, 08:35 AM   #8
Jeff Binek

Profile:

Hopefully someone more knowledgable like Eric M. or someone chimes in here, because this is not healthy IMO, which is why I'm trying to be so emphatic.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:02 AM   #9
Robert Newman

Profile:

Man... 5 protein shakes a day is not good Get some wild fish, grass fed <animal> and a lot more fruits and veggies. You need more micro nutrition, which is largely from fruits/ veg. You can eat a ton of bananas if you want, it wont mess with your blood sugar. High GI fruit, or any raw fresh ripe fruit in general, is not bad for you. Being healthy and losing weight is all about the micro nutrition, not macro. I suggest cutting the protein down to at most .7g / lb of lbm. Cut the rice, whey and cheddar out.

And eat more calories. 1470 is WAY too low for even the smallest of women here, and especially to support 3ish workouts a day.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:18 AM   #10
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stone View Post
Breakfast: 16 oz milk+8oz water+2 scoops Jay Robb protein mix (45g protein, 420 kcal)
assorted raw nuts (pecan, walnut, almond) with 6 strawberries

pre-workout: 8oz milk+8oz water+1 scoop Jay Robb protein mix (35g protein, 210 kcal)

WOD #1

WOD #2

WOD #3

16 oz milk+8oz water+2 scoops Jay Robb protein mix (45g protein, 420 kcal)

Total:

195g protein / 1470 kcal (not counting nuts and berries)

Haven't eaten dinner yet.

----------

Will probably eat brown rice mixed with raw spinach and cheddar cheese for dinner. Will definitely push the kcal over 2.3k for the day.

Feedback appreciated.
Based on your workout log you've only done 3 WODs in a day once. And you just started last week. So it's not really fair to say that you do 3 WODs a day (as others have said). Let's just say for argument that you do 1 WOD a day.

I need to echo that you need to eat more real food. Even 1 meal of real food is not enough. I realize it's convenient to drink milk and whey protein, which is why I do it when I'm busy, but you can't rely on that.

Eat more vegetables. One serving of leafy spinach probably isn't enough.

Why are you not eating meat, eggs, and fish?
3-4 eggs, banana, handful of nuts, apple, cheese -- poof you have a delicious and nutritious breakfast. I eat it every day.
1/2 pound turkey, head of broccoli, olive oil, some beets -- throw them all in a frying pan, cook for 10 minutes and poof you have a delicious and nutritious meal.

Brown rice is not what you should be eating when you're trying to lose weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Chicoine View Post
Also raw nuts unless soaked are not good to eat.
...what??? Source please!

Last edited by Shane Skowron : 06-19-2010 at 09:21 AM.