CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 04-20-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
Richard Allen Pagel

Profile:
Deadlift Check

Just did a couple reps with some random weights before giving McGhee a shot (with 225 instead of 275). Any suggestions/general comments will be greatly appreciated.

All links SFW

225X2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T20f4XeK6VM

275X1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-PNW6q4N-4

315X2(was going to do 3 reps, but the damn hex plates kept shifting on me and I didn't have much memory in my camera left):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWjCJneteuI

Overall I feel they look pretty good. Might have rounded a bit with the 315 reps. My 1RM is probably around 415 or so.

I have done a lot of reading and watching of videos, and also went to a CF box for a couple months, but first time for me to get any critiques from posting online.

Let me have it.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
Richard Allen Pagel

Profile:
Re: Deadlift Check

perfect form?
Old 04-22-2010, 06:45 AM   #3
adam adkins

Profile:
Re: Deadlift Check

Set up:

The bar is too far forward on your foot. This causes you shin to jut forward, creating a poor angle from the beginning. Move the bar back towards your shin in the set up. The goal is to have the shin vertical in the set up.

For me, and this is more personal style that you have to figure out for yourself, your feet are too wide in the set up. It also helps me to root my heels into the ground so that I can visualize where the pull is coming from. I have seen guys with a good pull and wide traditional stances but not many. Try moving your feet in an inch or two and drive your heels in pre-pull.

The pull:

Because of the set up, the pull is too far away from your body. You can see on the second rep of 315 that you nearly get pulled over. Also, it appears you first pull is up. Couple the bad set up with the initial pull and the bar gets too far from your body, which is ultimately the limiting factor in your 315 pull. Often times it can help to visualize the first pull being back. By doing this you will be able to keep the bar as close to your body as possible.

Watch the second pull at 315. There is a gap between the bar and your knees of at least a couple of inches, which is why you get pulled forward. Pull back and eliminate that space.