CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-21-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
Jonathan Cedolia

Profile:
Double unders

I am having a hard time with double unders. I have not jumped rope since high school. Does it take time or am I just uncordnated ? And I need to learn how to spell. Damn I wish I went to college!
Old 08-22-2009, 05:36 AM   #2
Daniel Sonsini

Profile:
Re: Double unders

I takes time. Check out the CrossFit Journal for some good instruction. I know CrossFit Again Faster has a good teaching clip.
Just rmbr it's all in the wrist's. Keep the jump steady and upright. It'll come!
Old 08-22-2009, 06:08 PM   #3
Ari Sherwood

Profile:

It also helps to have a good quality rope; a speed rope really helps with double-unders. It takes practice - work on single jumps first.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:02 AM   #4
Omry Peled

Profile:

listen to the rope ,work on your timing
Old 08-23-2009, 09:03 AM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

It's a skill, not a matter of strength or power or anything. Practice them every day as part of your warmup. The bounce for a double under should be mechanically the same as the bounce for a single under (i.e. don't kick your heels or knees up, etc.), just slightly higher and with a slightly faster wrist turn. You can work on the bounce without using a rope at first--just go small bounce, small bounce, EXPLODE, small bounce, small bounce, EXPLODE...and so forth. Then start working it with a rope. Single, single, DOUBLE, single, single, DOUBLE, single, single, DOUBLE...then alternate singles and doubles, then work up to linking doubles.

It took me a few months to work up to being able to do more than one consecutive double under, then it kinda clicked and now I can string 40-50 together most of the time. Get a good rope for working double unders (one with bearings in the handles and a thin but heavy rope), but for building wrist and forearm speed and endurance a Thai-style training rope is great. The ones at my affiliate have wooden handles and a clear plastic rope that's about 3/4" in diameter, so your wrists have to work to keep it going. A few minutes every day with that and a normal rope flicks around without any effort.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:10 AM   #6
Chris Walls

Profile:

Also, don't think about spinning the rope fast and jumping over it, but think about bouncing high at a nice consistent tempo, then spin the rope under you twice. The timing of the rope that I could maintain DU at first went woosh-WOOSH, it was not a steady speed.

hope that sort of makes sense, but put that with all the other advice out there about double unders and I think you'll get it.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:51 PM   #7
Chris Sanders

Profile:

I had this same problem.... I worked on it EVERYDAY for about 3 weeks. I didn't spend 15min on it either. I slowly got 1 double under, then went to two and started alternating double and single. Now I can consistently hit double unders. I still have to practice at them, I'm not perfect at it. But it is a practicing skill. Keep at it and it'll be there before you know it.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:01 PM   #8
Jonathan Cedolia

Profile:

thanks to all for the info
Old 08-24-2009, 09:42 AM   #9
Mike Onghena

Profile:

I can do a few DUs, mixed in with singles pretty consistently now. I picked it up about a week ago during a WOD on August 17 which called for them.

The key for me was spinning the rope fast enough. You really, really need to get it moving quickly using your wrists. Try to get as close to doubling the rope speed as possible. The faster the rope, the less huge your jump needs to be to get over it twice. I'm not there yet, as I still need a big tuck jump to get over, but I think faster rope is the key.

Also, its easier to mix singles in, so you need to find a consistent pattern, rather than just going for it on random jumps. SSDSSDSSD or SDSDSDS etc...