CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-22-2009, 08:54 AM   #1
Walker Fenz

Profile:
Number of blocks, and how to distribute

Almost two weeks into CF, and loose Zone. this week I'm cracking down...from reading the forums it sounds like everyone is eatin loads more than me...then again, i suspect everyone is much bigger.

Female
30 yrs old
5'4"
122 lbs
28% body fat (per calipers test at 24 hour fitness)

I was honestly grossed out when i found out my BF%. Considered myself pretty fit, and i dont *look* like Im carrying around 34 pounds of fat...anyways....So one of my goals is to lean up. Way up.

Per the calculator on the zone website I am suposed to be at 11 blocks. Question: Does this sound right?

My recommended meals are 3 blocks, but the carb portion of this is a lot (36 spears of asparagus is a ton, ha!)
Question: Is it ok to break this up differently? As in, can I do blocks of 2 then a 1, or one 3 block, then mix it up - as long as i get the total in?
Old 06-22-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Number of blocks, and how to distribute

How active are you? I'm about your size, and 11 blocks wouldn't be enough for me, but I'm pretty active.

Most bf% tests are horribly inaccurate. Worry more about what you see in the mirror.

Katherine
Old 06-22-2009, 09:06 AM   #3
Drake Deming

Profile:

I would break up the block how you like but do not go overboard doing half in one meal. My wife spreads her 10 blocks out as 2-2-2-2-2.

When I started I thought eating 3 cups of broccoli was impossible but then I realized if you are not eating grains it is very easy.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:27 AM   #4
Randy Hill

Profile:

Who cares how much BF the scale says you have? Are you satisfied with the way you look?
Old 06-22-2009, 10:23 AM   #5
Christine Reinhart

Profile:

I'm similar in size to you (30 years old, 5'4", ~110#) and I usually stick to about 11 blocks. This has worked very well for me. When I started Zoning I was at about 20% BF. Once I reached a level of body fat that I was comfortable with (14-15%), and my performance started to suffer, I transitioned to 11 blocks at 2-3X fat. As for breaking things up, I like to be able to eat throughout the day so my distribution is as follows:

1 block: 5:00am (pre-WOD)
3 blocks: 8:00am (post-WOD)
2 blocks: 12:00pm (lunch)
2 blocks: 3:30pm (snack)
3 blocks: 7:30pm (dinner)

As others have mentioned, how you choose to use this "style" of eating really depends on your goals and your lifestyle. I have been CrossFitting and on the Zone for over 2 years, and I don't remember the last time I stepped on the scale or used a tape measure. I know how my clothes fit, how my body feels, and whether or not my performance goals are being achieved. You just have to figure out what works best for you. Good luck and have fun!
Old 06-22-2009, 10:50 AM   #6
Walker Fenz

Profile:

As far as activity goes I am trying to do 4 or 5 CF a week (i workout at an affiliate and we do warm-up, skill session, then WOD) alternating schedule.
Also trying to keep up my 60 min cardio salsa class (no laughing) twice a week.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:07 PM   #7
Walker Fenz

Profile:

So I have been pretty hungry for awhile now....the good thing is just when i feel pretty hungry its time to snack or meal.

However, a lot of people are complaining that the zone its "too much food". Not me. Had a three block dinner last night and, yes, two blocks of asparagus seemed crazy. But I still was hungry about 2 hours later. but I had used up all my blocks for that day. so I went to bed at 9:30 cuz i knew if i stayed up til 10 i'd be starving, ha.

Been reading up more and some people say that being hungry is just a "phase" of beginning the Zone. suck it up..But some would suggest I add another block...How do I know which way to go?
Old 06-23-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Here's what my thinking is like: When in doubt, eat more.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:08 PM   #9
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker Fenz View Post
Been reading up more and some people say that being hungry is just a "phase" of beginning the Zone. suck it up..But some would suggest I add another block...How do I know which way to go?
See the posts upthread worrying that 11 blocks isn't enough. Your body may be agreeing with us. My suggestion would be to add another block or two. You can always cut back if you're not making progress.

Katherine
Old 06-24-2009, 07:06 AM   #10
Laura Kurth

Profile:

I too am always baffled by this 'zone is too much food' thing! To me, zone is ridiculous tiny amount of food on which I couldn't get out of bed.

11 blocks is about 1100-1200 calories if you are being strict. That is not a lot of calories.

Since you are at a perfectly healthy weight, it seems unnecessary to be starving yourself in this way? I am smaller than you and I eat considerably more than that.