CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-20-2009, 04:43 AM   #1
Elizabeth Hall

Profile:
New to CF, what's typical at an affiliate?

My gym has a CF program. Just curious what is typical of beginners at an affiliate. My gym has a 3 class "chipper" program you must attend if you are new to CF. I've done 2 classes and thought I would die. LOL First day we did a modified WOD. 2nd day learned about Olympic Weightlighting and did 4 min Tabatas. Do most affiliates work this way, few days of "training" and then unleash you?
Old 05-20-2009, 05:16 AM   #2
Mat Frankel

Profile:
Re: New to CF, what's typical at an affiliate?

Ever affiliate is different. Some do longer introduction sessions some have 1. It is up to the owners and trainers. If you're feeling like your not quite ready to jump in, talk to the trainers and tell them that you still feel uncomfortable with the movements and that you would like some more help, I bet they would be more then happy.
If you are ready, do not feel bad about scaleing the workouts. Your new to it and should scale back until you are strong enough and comfortable enough to go as Rx.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:49 AM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

When you say your gym has a CF program, what do you mean? Is it a normal gym that offers some CF classes or is it a CF-only gym?

At a minimum a responsible trainer will make sure you're solid on the 9 fundamental movements as well as stuff like wallballs, KB swings, thrusters, pullups (and all the modified forms of them), box jumps, etc. before they throw you into full-on WODs, and you probably realized pretty quick that Oly lifts will take more than one class to learn. Ask the trainer if they offer any sort of Elements/Foundations/Fundamentals-type class for beginners, or if you can just get some extra help on the basics before or after classes.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:54 AM   #4
Elizabeth Hall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
When you say your gym has a CF program, what do you mean? Is it a normal gym that offers some CF classes or is it a CF-only gym?

At a minimum a responsible trainer will make sure you're solid on the 9 fundamental movements as well as stuff like wallballs, KB swings, thrusters, pullups (and all the modified forms of them), box jumps, etc. before they throw you into full-on WODs, and you probably realized pretty quick that Oly lifts will take more than one class to learn. Ask the trainer if they offer any sort of Elements/Foundations/Fundamentals-type class for beginners, or if you can just get some extra help on the basics before or after classes.

To clarify, my gym has a CF only area section. You have to pay extra to belong to the CF program and then get free reign of the gym w/ your membership of CF, but not vice versa. The first day we did wallballs, KB swings, burpees, pullups, pushups, situp, slamballs, tire jumps. You pay for the 3 chipper classes and then can join CF.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:31 AM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

That's a lot of stuff to try to teach a beginning CFer in one day--is your gym an official affiliate and are the trainers CF Level I certified? Unless you're working out at East Coast CF or CF Fort Bragg (closest ones to your location, from what I can tell), they're not an approved affiliate and shouldn't be using the CF name to make money. If they're not an affiliate their knowledge and qualifications may also be a little suspect.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:53 AM   #6
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Suffering
Old 05-20-2009, 09:59 AM   #7
Tirzah Harper

Profile:

I don't know what's typical at affiliates. What you should be able to expect is:

1) A lot of soreness
2) Scaling your workouts down to something you can reasonably do, working hard
3) More information in their heads than you can absorb for a while
4) Good answers to your questions and/or direction to sources to answer you if they don't know the answer or you want a deeper explanation
5) Positive peer pressure to always do your best, without being shamed when your best isn't the same as someone else's best
Old 05-20-2009, 10:09 AM   #8
Frank Dennis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Suffering
In the best sense of the word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirzah Harper View Post
I don't know what's typical at affiliates. What you should be able to expect is:

1) A lot of soreness
2) Scaling your workouts down to something you can reasonably do, working hard
3) More information in their heads than you can absorb for a while
4) Good answers to your questions and/or direction to sources to answer you if they don't know the answer or you want a deeper explanation
5) Positive peer pressure to always do your best, without being shamed when your best isn't the same as someone else's best
Exactly. I would also say that the scaling should be your trainers' responsibility, not yours. If they didn't do a specific baseline to assess your current fitness level, perhaps they just used your performance on your first couple of WODs. But, you shouldn't feel pressured to figure scaling out for yourself, that's their job. After a month or so, you'll have a really good handle on where you are and could then start figuring out scaling for yourself (though you probably won't need to; they'll still be taking care of that).

All that said, if you're given something with which you don't yet feel comfortable, speak up, obviously.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:12 AM   #9
Frank Dennis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
That's a lot of stuff to try to teach a beginning CFer in one day--is your gym an official affiliate and are the trainers CF Level I certified? Unless you're working out at East Coast CF or CF Fort Bragg (closest ones to your location, from what I can tell), they're not an approved affiliate and shouldn't be using the CF name to make money. If they're not an affiliate their knowledge and qualifications may also be a little suspect.
It's my understanding that you can't call yourself a CrossFit facility without being affiliated, but training CrossFit methodology at a non-affiliated facilty was acceptable, for profit, providing one is Level 1 Certified. Is this not the case?
Old 05-20-2009, 10:41 AM   #10
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

From the FAQ:

9.17. If I do not want to affiliate but I am a certified CrossFit trainer, how can I use the name legally?
You can call yourself a CrossFit-certified trainer and say you use CrossFit methods.
You can state that you are CrossFit certified on your website and business cards.
You cannot use the CrossFit name, slogans, art work or photos in any business or promotional way unless you affiliate. This includes business cards and web sites. Affiliation gives you the legal right to use the CrossFit name for business and/or promotional purposes.

So if they're L1 they can train at the existing gym--they just have to watch how they advertise it.