CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 04-24-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
Michael Lennox

Profile:
High blood pressure/ cholesterol

Hi, my family has a high blood pressure and cholesterol history and also a history of heart disease (males on my mom's side all had heart attacks in 60-70s) My blood pressure is fine. Haven't had my blood checked yet though. Im 23 6' 215 and I do crossfit football with some regular crossfit workouts thrown in. My diet is nothing crazy. I do not do zone but I eliminated sugars and crackers and any other "snacking foods". I eat plenty of fruits and veggies yada yada...
So I was wondering what would be better for me in the long run, long slow distance or shorter more intense things. As of right now crossfit football is awesome but I know when I reach the age of 30 Im going to drop to a healthier weight and switch my programs to maybe the endurance site. Obviously I still have awhile to do that.

So here it is: with my family history would you recommend crossfit football or just crossfit?
Bonus question: Would you recommend fast intense workouts or long slow stuff?
Thanks for the help
Old 05-08-2009, 07:04 AM   #2
Tom Magdziasz

Profile:
Re: High blood pressure/ cholesterol

Do either workouts and Zone it up dude.....

Let me give you an example, I have a family history of high cholesterol, I was first tested about 10 yrs ago at 23. My levels were high, so of course I was put on med but I keep pressing my doc to keep me on a low dosage...

Some hard facts, I was always borderline high even though I was on the meds but I still did not want to go on a higher dosage. I started CF'ing about 2 years ago, and did not follow the zone until last year. After zoning for 3 months my levels went to a respectable level, late last year I broke my foot, being a stressful event for someone who is incredibly active I turned to food. Fell of the zone plan and had very limited workouts. So when I went for my semi-annual blood test my numbers sky rocketed, of course doc wanted to up the meds and again I convinced him I knew the lack of exercise and dimished quality diet was the reason. So again after 3 months of back to regular CF WOD's and tweaking the zone diet following Robb Wolf's "42 ways" I upped the fats and reduced the carbs as well as went with teh more paleo approach and achieved the same respectable numbers.

I would recommend getting your numbers checked if there is a history, even at such a young age because now is the time! I will also be a good baseline to start at if it is high, that way you can see the fruits of your labors if you make changes. Just keeping cranking out the WOD's from either site and keep your diet in check with a paleo type approach of eating natural foods...
Old 05-08-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
Michael Lennox

Profile:

As soon as I get better insurance I will get tested, but your right the sooner the better.
I had a feeling diet had everything to do with it. I will say mine is significantly better than what it was last year.
Thanks man, I was more curious than worried. I was just wondering what the benefits were for each site, crossfit main, football, and endurance, and I would assume crossfit endurance had more long term benefits. Right now I'm kind of hooked on crossfit football though.
Thanks
Old 05-08-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
Lou Cabales

Profile:

check with your blood bank or google cholesterol screening in your area will be cheap to free.

get a BP cuff at wally world, check pressure regularly. get right cuff size for your arm.

chances are at your age and level of fitness you are normotensive

23 215 are you still playing ball? if not i inclined to say go site wod or E wods

if you ok with mass loss and possible drop in max numbers. my thinking behind this is that soon your your metabolism will begin to slow down.
and i think you will better served with a lower body mass. with slightly less neuro endocrine demands. following that line of thought site wods wll be fine. any choice u make you will still be encouraging the good cholesterol.

bonus:
given the nature of site crossfit in general it is constantly varied. LSD, or HIT can't be selected, one day u might have CF total next u might have 5k.run. so my answer to bonus question is mix it up, or just follow site wods.