CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:09 PM   #11
Jay Adams

Profile:
Re: Body Image

There will always be a group of people who take anything to the extreme. I have seen distance runners lose friends and loved ones over running. I have seen lifters who chose to train over spending time with a girl friend and I have seen crossfitters who have left every non crossfit friendship behind. Running, lifting and crossfit are not bad but some people will always struggle with finding balance. Is it some statistical anomaly that in every (most) group shots of crossfitters have no shirts and no body hair? There is no performance advantage to shaving your body, it is vanity. That isn't inherently bad, but can get bad if left unchecked. I see guys daily that would perform better with 3-4% more body fat, but they stay lean out of vanity. Vast majority of people entering any fitness program have some aesthetic goals. On the media side having a president comment on Jessica Simpson's weight can't help and having the media call her fat at a whopping 115 lbs is going to do no one any good. I had a gf in high school who had an exercise/eating disorder and it is brutal, but no reason why everyone should not be focused on being more fit and healthier.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:19 PM   #12
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I tend to not hanbg out with people who don't train becuase they don't get having to be fresh sat morning to train, or needing a certain amount of sleep each night or not wanting to eat crap food. I find people with similar habits tend to hang out together.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #13
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:

crossfit done to extremes is NOT going to develop an eating disorder. Not meeting your nutritional needs and succeeding in crossfit are mutually exclusive.

I actually finally just used crossfit to break a friend from a horrible diet and exercise plan set out by his doctor. Basically eat as few calories a day as you can manage and do minutes of cardio... WHAT?

None of the diets supported by the crossfit community put a larger emphasis on aesthetics than they do performance. That being said, what do YOU find more attractive?

overly skinny kid, or that conner kid with the sub 3 minute fran?
I guess what i'm saying is, i havent met a crossfiter who places more emphasis on being skinny than they do on performance
Old 03-12-2009, 10:47 AM   #14
Liam McKarry

Profile:

Please excuse me here guys. This was not a challenge on CF. I undertake the WOD every day.

My original post was just to start a conversation regarding whether other people look at the media and wonder whether the more moderate views of how people should look still exist.

I remember as a kid growing up that it wasn't bad to be a little rounded at the edges and that the puppy fat would go with age. it just seems that we're (the collective we of society, not CF) pushing kids from very early on to be thin and 'body beautiful'. I take the points that athletic achievement and vanity are two seperate things and I suppose i've never really suffered with not liking sports or being overweight, but i do wonder whether it is actually media propagated that young guys are turning to the gym in droves to 'bulk up' - no longer for sports but rather to look like Daniel Craig or whoever the latest screen icon is. This isn't functional.

I guess my real thought is when did kids start worrying about having washboard abs and beach muscles?
Old 03-12-2009, 10:58 AM   #15
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

They started were about how they look when they stopped worring about what they could do.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:16 AM   #16
Jeff Martin

Profile:

Liam,
On the left side of the Mainpage is a button for CrossFit Kids. We've spend some time at the kids cert addressing this. Briefly, here is what we have found. The mainstream gyms focus on what you look like, CrossFit focuses on what you can do. We have many kids who have been CrossFitting 4+ years now, some that have been at this 5+ years. We have watched these kids grow from children to teens and seen how they define themselves differently than their peers at school.
CrossFit Kids classes have helped these kids define themselves by their abilities. A girl may be a little bigger than her peers, but she's proud because she holds the class record in push ups, pull ups, and can out lift the boys in her class. The kids classes are a separate community. Where else are you going to hear 8 year olds discuss what kind of protein they had for lunch, or 13 year old girls discussing their deadlift. One little girl, age 9, recently went to buy a bathing suit. She had to buy a different size top and bottom. She explained to the salesperson that "She was athletic" and was proud of it.
A properly run CrossFit Kids class fosters a different self image and focus than is generally found in our society. Are they aware of what they look like, of course, but they aren't driven by it.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #17
Neil Fonseca

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam McKarry View Post
it just seems that we're (the collective we of society, not CF) pushing kids from very early on to be thin and 'body beautiful'.
On the other end, there are now people saying that its OK to be fat, giving people an excuse to be lazy. Economists have done studies that show that skinny, beautiful women are much more successful in their careers than fat women. So body image does matter to the extent that people should take care that they don't look like sacks of ****. As for the people with eating disorders, some of them suffer from emotional issues that are unrelated to body image. The others are just plain stupid, and I don't feel bad for them when the inevitable health problems result. I certainly don't blame society or the media.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:30 AM   #18
Frank Dennis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Carpenter View Post
excellent post Frank
Thanks, Veronica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
They started were about how they look when they stopped worring about what they could do.
Agreed, and that was exactly my point; "the media" is an unfortunate by-broduct of capitalism... when you develop a tool for communicating with millions, and then sell use of that tool to business to help you pay for its creation and upkeep, what is communicated will inevitably be skewed to suppport that business continuing to give you money.

So, business behaving like business is like blaming predators for being predators... when you involve naturally competitive and opportunistic creatures, i.e., humans, in the process, what else would you expect?

The onus is on those who are responsible for guiding new lives during those years which form the basis for how they understand the world to work to help them become strong, healthy, functioning individuals in both mind and body.

It's simple and obvious, but the emphasis on body image isn't new, it's just more pervasive as more entities use more channels of communication with increasingly liberal standards on extremes of example to exploit an ancient truth; people like to have sex, so sexy things sell.

Even the best parenting can't protect a child from the culture in which they exist unless they live in a cave on a mountainside somewhere. So, since a person is going to probably come to the conclusion that, to some degree, there are expectations of what is considered desirable, it is a combination of minimizing these external inputs as metrics for self-worth, and also helping to make them the sort of person who is going to be fit and healthy anyway.

Which, again, is really all it's all about; even in high school, not all the athletes were "hot," but they were anyway, if you get my meaning. Just being fit and healthy is generally close enough to the ideal standards currently set by our culture for the so-called "average person" to meet those standards in the minds of most people anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Martin View Post
Liam,
On the left side of the Mainpage is a button for CrossFit Kids. We've spend some time at the kids cert addressing this. Briefly, here is what we have found. The mainstream gyms focus on what you look like, CrossFit focuses on what you can do. We have many kids who have been CrossFitting 4+ years now, some that have been at this 5+ years. We have watched these kids grow from children to teens and seen how they define themselves differently than their peers at school.
CrossFit Kids classes have helped these kids define themselves by their abilities. A girl may be a little bigger than her peers, but she's proud because she holds the class record in push ups, pull ups, and can out lift the boys in her class. The kids classes are a separate community. Where else are you going to hear 8 year olds discuss what kind of protein they had for lunch, or 13 year old girls discussing their deadlift. One little girl, age 9, recently went to buy a bathing suit. She had to buy a different size top and bottom. She explained to the salesperson that "She was athletic" and was proud of it.
A properly run CrossFit Kids class fosters a different self image and focus than is generally found in our society. Are they aware of what they look like, of course, but they aren't driven by it.
This is why CrossFit Kids is so awesome. Eventually, I think Jeff wants to be able to have those classes at ForgedFit, which I think will be great.

This is taking that external metric and turning into something which they can work towards in a healthy way. As Jeff said, they'll never be unaware of how they stand relative to "hotness" because they don't live under a rock somewhere, but they'll care less about it, and be closer to it anyway, just from the way they were raised.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:17 PM   #19
Kevin Hughes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam McKarry View Post
my wife teaches at a highschool and now knows of 2 teenage boys that have developed eating disorders to look good.

It's kind of scary that children think they need to starve to look good
Overeating is a much more common eating disorder that is seldom viewed as such. I agree that its unfortunate that children think they need to starve to look good, but many kids will continue to overeat, resulting in many of the diseases that this community has made it their mission to overcome. Most (but not all) kids with under-eating disorders will get help, most overeater's won't. Hence, epidemics of obesity, diabetes, CHD etc.