CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 02-27-2009, 03:05 PM   #11
Frank Dennis

Profile:
Re: What Does Your Ink Mean?

My Latin is rusty, what does that translate to? What do they mean to you? Did you design them all yourself?
Old 02-27-2009, 03:25 PM   #12
Renee Lee

Profile:

here's mine (this is before i lost the weight...so excuse the lack of definition, lol): http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...85523_6988.jpg

as i'm sure we've all figured out, i'm a huge classics nerd, but egypt is my real passion. for those unaware, the ankh is the egyptian symbol for "life" (more specifically "eternal life," actually), but it can also have some connotations of reincarnation.

So on a deeper level, i got the ankh to symbolize my "rebirth" from the shy, tortured kid that constantly sought approval from her peers, to the amusing, self-confident person y'all know today

...and the tribals around it just make it look pretty...

Next tattoo will be this poem on the side of my ribs: (catullus 101. translation here sfw)

Multas per gentes et multa per aequora vectus
advenio has miseras, frater, ad inferias,
ut te postremo donarem munere mortis
et mutam nequiquam alloquerer cinerem.
Quandoquidem fortuna mihi tete abstulit ipsum.
Heu miser indigne frater adempte mihi,
nunc tamen interea haec, prisco quae more parentum
tradita sunt tristi munere ad inferias,
accipe fraterno multum manantia fletu,
atque in perpetuum, frater, ave atque vale.

Catullus is my favorite latin poet, and i lost one of my best friends from high school in the VT shooting back in 07...once you read the translation, i'm sure i won't need any more explanation
Old 02-27-2009, 03:26 PM   #13
Jeff S Johnson

Profile:

Mine are family-related, mostly.

Side of right deltoid - Superman logo (kinda lame, I know), with my son's first initials on the sides of the bottom.

Below it is a hibiscus flower, done in negative in orange ink. No outline. Matches one (not exact) that my wife has on her rear delt/trap. Represents her, of course.

A dragon, which runs from T-shirt sleeve level on the outer arm to the shoulder joint, basically making a half-circle around the other two. Signifies (to me) protecting my wife and son.

On the inside of that same arm, I have my initials. This coincidentally is also the first letter of each of our names (Jaret, Sarah, Jeff) and matches the representative tattoos on the outer arm. J(aret)=Superman logo, S(arah)=flower, J(eff) = dragon.

On the bottom/back (triceps area) of that arm, I have a cherry tree branch with blossoms and the Japanese depiction of wind swirling around it. This signifies the fleeting nature of life. Incidentally, the top part of this one ends very near the armpit...and that part hurt 10x worse than any other work I've had done. Yeeooow!

Then I have black & blue, swirling nautical star on the front of that deltoid. It doesn't really signify anything, I just liked the design.

Sounds like a lot for relatively little real estate - and it is, I guess - but there's still room for some more work to make it in a full half-sleeve.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:13 PM   #14
Carolyn Rocco

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
if I got a tattoo, it would be something useful. LIke on my chest, something like "Please try cpr 1 more time"
HILARIOUS!!!!!
Old 02-27-2009, 04:18 PM   #15
Gavin Steel

Profile:

Have a half sleeve on left arm...Japanese dragon head on arm starting at elbow running up to shoulder, with an oni on the tricep and kanji symbols in red ink on inside of bicep.

Also got my lower right leg done, from knee to top of foot...fu dog on inside of leg, geishas head on rear of calf and a samurai on outer side of leg(as showing in avatar)....lots of smoke and cherry blossoms blended in. Also have the kanji for "love" and "happiness" on outer and inner ankle and "family" on front, running onto top of foot.

Leg is very personal and has double meanings etc only kown to me.

All in black and grey except kanji on arm and lips of geisha.

Had plans to continue the body of the dragon onto my back with a tiger on lower half of back however wife not having it!!!!

It pays to get friendly with your tattooist....I pay mates rates for first couple of sittings then the rest is free.....saved me a fortune!

Renee - rather you than me getting ribs done...I watched my mate (whos covered, even his hands are inked) get flowers on his ribs....he was toiling and close to tears a few times.....
Old 02-27-2009, 04:19 PM   #16
Carolyn Rocco

Profile:

I've got an "M-dot" ....the Ironman symbol....on the inside of my left ankle....it's black and red....representing the 3 IM's i've done.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:31 PM   #17
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Steel View Post
<snip>
Renee - rather you than me getting ribs done...I watched my mate (whos covered, even his hands are inked) get flowers on his ribs....he was toiling and close to tears a few times.....
yeah...it's not going to be fun. i struggled through my back piece (though surprisingly not on my spine, where i've heard it's worst...shoulder blades were agony for me). I've heard many artists try to talk people out of rib placements, especially if you haven't had many tatts.

the design means too much...pain heals...

...chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever
Old 02-27-2009, 04:42 PM   #18
Frank Dennis

Profile:

Renee:

That's beautiful... both the tattoo and the poem. The one tattoo I'll be getting that doesn't come from a sci-fi-type inspiration features an ankh, among other things.

Yeah, I've heard the ribs hurt. I think one of mine will end up there, and not looking forward to it, almost as much as I'm not looking forward to the one that's going to cover part of my inner thigh; I understand that also sucks .

Jeff:

I like that all your work is so interrelated. It is a lot in a little space, though. Do you have plans to get work done elsewhere once you complete the sleeve?

Gavin:

One of the ones I'll be getting is also extremely personal and the only one who'll ever have it explained to them is whoever ends up wearing the other half (here's hoping I meet him soon LOL).
Old 02-27-2009, 04:43 PM   #19
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
Very much traditional Sailor style ink with personal meaning to me but mainly an accurate look at my mind as a young WOman.
I'm with Robert in that I have a hodge podge of tats mostly accrued during my young Navy years......

Roses and my name on my lower back - call it a tramp stamp if you like, but I was 18 and rebellious

"I Believe" and a Cross across my right calf - self explanatory, this is my most simple and most asked about (also most visible) I designed it myself using paint.

A monkey on my right hip - Yes, I am the monkey girl.

A beach paradise scene on my breastbone - got the location idea from a girl in boot (may have still been a bit rebellious at this point), wanted something peaceful, plus I have a really upbeat attitude and often will say something like, "Just another day in paradise!"

A large purple flower on my upper back - cover-up This is where I stopped, though I have often had plans to continue further with this, just not sure what.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:48 PM   #20
Gavin Steel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
yeah...it's not going to be fun. i struggled through my back piece (though surprisingly not on my spine, where i've heard it's worst...shoulder blades were agony for me). I've heard many artists try to talk people out of rib placements, especially if you haven't had many tatts.

the design means too much...pain heals...

...chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever
Well, you're far braver than me!! Pain is fleeting as they say and the ink is forever...I can see the tat has deep personal meaning to you so go for it...

It always amuses me how people try to tell you the "sorest bit" to get inked and it never is....although I think the ribs is an exception to this rule....

I was told the inside of the bicep was sore as there are loads of nerves etc..hardly felt a thing. And getting my shin done was actually quite pleasant(in a perverse way)...the vibrations from the machine numbed my leg. You always get told the closer to bone the more pain you'll be in.

I have to admit though that getting close to the back of the knee was hell and my Oni goes onto my elbow slightly...that wasn't fun either.

What I can't figure out though is no matter how sore they are you always want another one...they're so adictive!