CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 12-18-2008, 04:56 PM   #1
Michael Halbfish

Profile:
Scaled WODS

A middle aged heavy friend of mine would like to start doing crossfit. She is very out of shape and limited in knowledge. I suggested that she check the crossfit kids page. She asked if anyone is posting scaled WODS for adults. I know I've seen a few affilliates do this, but I can't recall which ones?

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance,
Mike
Old 12-18-2008, 04:59 PM   #2
Shane Skowron

Profile:
Re: Scaled WODS

Brand X

here's the link (wfs):

http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index....forum/16/?f=16
Old 09-05-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

What other affiliates besides Brandx do a good job of posting scaled WOD's on their website? The whole idea of posting the scaled WOD's inside of a forum thread and people having to hold comments until someone posts the scale version just seems a little unstable to me. I figured there were probably some other affiliates out there who may do a good job of simply posting scaled WOD's on their mainpages....
Old 09-05-2009, 07:43 PM   #4
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post
...The whole idea of posting the scaled WOD's inside of a forum thread and people having to hold comments until someone posts the scale version just seems a little unstable to me. ....
On the other hand I really like the Big Dawgs, Pack, Puppies, and buttercup scaling concept...
Old 09-06-2009, 07:01 AM   #5
Anita Tyler

Profile:

Brian, Maybe I don't understand what you mean by "stable", and may have misinterpreted your concern -- but I've been following the BrandX scaling since March of 2007 and there's never been a problem. Jeff (or Mikki or Dan) post the scaling every day sometimes within minutes of the mainsite. Kind of like as certain as the sunrise, I wake up every day and there it is.

Jeff has some amazing statistic as to how many hits his site gets, so it seems to work well for a whole lot of people. HTH.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
Craig Massey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post
What other affiliates besides Brandx do a good job of posting scaled WOD's on their website? The whole idea of posting the scaled WOD's inside of a forum thread and people having to hold comments until someone posts the scale version just seems a little unstable to me. I figured there were probably some other affiliates out there who may do a good job of simply posting scaled WOD's on their mainpages....
I admit it would be simpler if the scaled WODs were posted blog style and Jeff's life would certainly be far easier if that's all he did. What he's taken on though is providing a resource where people with no experience with CrossFit can come and find scaled versions of the workouts and have their questions answered. The forum is a far more effective way of achieving that than blog posts with comments.

The request to hold questions is simply what it says; The increasing popularity of CrossFit meant that so many people were looking for help each day and asking the very questions that Jeff was answering in his scaled posts that the scaled workouts were disappearing to page 2 and once I think the third page of posts. It was very heartening that so many people looked to the CrossFitBrand X forum, but in the clamour for information they were making what they were asking for hard to find.
We try and be nice about reminding people that they've been asked to hold their questions, but people are people and some of the older hands on the forum get a bit short with repeat offenders, myself included. I do at least have the decency to be embarrassed when I vent on the forum if that's any consolation.

We have people who love the forum concept and people who hate it. I believe Jeff tried other methods of posting the workouts in the early days at the request of an apparent vocal majority, only to have the silent majority leap into type to very firmly assure him that the forum was more useful. http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index....wreply/113652/ (wfs)

It's not perfect, but it works.
If you have ideas to improve it I'm certainly willing to listen.

Craig, aka "Metric" over at CF BX.

Last edited by Craig Massey : 09-06-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:12 PM   #7
Luke Hale

Profile:

I always refer to the brandx scaled sods forum and find it an extremely valuable resource. It's great to be able to look at the various scaling options and then immediately look below that to see how the regular posters did and what scaling they used and what times they got.

My only beef is that almost all the members who post in these threads, including those who post the wods, have such big signatures at the bottom of every post! Often the sig in each post is longer than the post itself!

Also I find it strange that some use it as their log and will post whatever wod they did, even when it's nothing to do with the scaled wod in question

But again, invaluable rescource!!
Old 09-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #8
Craig Massey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Hale View Post
snip
My only beef is that almost all the members who post in these threads, including those who post the wods, have such big signatures at the bottom of every post! Often the sig in each post is longer than the post itself!
snip
That would be me. The WOD poster with the big signature thing I mean.

The forum software used at BX by default allows a larger number of characters in a signature than other forums, eg this one do. Others allow even bigger signatures. No-one's ever commented on that before, except one person who wanted the limit increased I think, so I've not put any thought into that. I doubt we'll change it soon or ever, but I will bear it in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Hale View Post
snip
Also I find it strange that some use it as their log and will post whatever wod they did, even when it's nothing to do with the scaled WOD in question
snip
That's a function of what the Brand X forum is and where it's come from.
Its original purpose was to allow Brand X members to post their results and questions and get feedback on their training. Because Jeff introduced CF into an already thriving Martial Arts school and from day one had to handle large group classes he had to hit the ground running with scaled workouts. I don't know whether Jeff started posting the scalings off his own bat or whether its something he and Coach worked out between them like starting CF Kids (give Jeff a couple of beers and he'll tell you the story of how CF Kids started, it's funny). So from the start you had Brand Xers posting their results from the BX WODs and slowly an increasing number of Satellite Brand Xers posting the results from scaled mainsite WODs. As CrossFit has grown, the Satellite Brand Xers (people who don't train at one of the BX boxes but who post their results on the BX forum) have come to outnumber the Brand Xers. Some of the Satellite Brand Xers opened their own affiliates and others joined local affiliates (we always advise newbies to get to an affiliate for instruction in the basics at least, even if they want to train at home) and many of those people continue to post their non-BX and non-mainsite results to the forum because they enjoy hanging out there so much.

Then there are misguided newbies who make up their own WODs and post them. Those we try and guide them toward the scaled mainsite WODs until they know what they're doing. Jeff has said many times that anyone starting CF should do the mainsite WODs for at least 1 and ideally 2 years before trying to do their own programming and that's the guidance we give people. Most listen, some don't and we find those who don't tend to drop off the forum and/or out of CrossFit, which is a shame.

So the whole things is something of a sociable muddle.
Jeff genuinely cares about all of the Satellite Brand Xers and loves it when one of us makes the "pilgrimage" up the hill to Ramona. He'd respond personally to every post and every question if he had time, he was killing himself trying before a few of us took on regurgitating his advice to people so he could get some sleep. Jeff likes the feel of the forum as it is, but I can assure you that we're always keeping an eye on how things are going and looking at what we need to do to keep it as a nice place for people who don't train at an affiliate to have a great experience starting CrossFit.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:20 PM   #9
Luke Hale

Profile:

Cheers for the reply Craig. Just to clarify, I certainly don't expect you all to go changing your signatures or the way you post etc! I use and appreciate the content of the forum and that's all that matters. I can see how the forums have evolved to be how they are.

I'm probably not helping myself either as I usually view the forums on my iPhone so everything is hard to read!

Cheers again

Luke
Old 09-10-2009, 03:24 PM   #10
Craig Massey

Profile:

You poor bugger!

Now I really feel guilty about the length of my signature. It must take up most of the screen!

Not that I'm going to change it, at least until I get an iPhone.