CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-18-2008, 11:28 AM   #1
Rachel Hughes

Profile:
Gout Diet

Hi all,

My father is in his late fifties and overweight. Last week we found out he has gout, and it seems to be very severe. He refuses to go to the doctor, but is desperate enough (I hope) to follow my advice on nutrition. I've been doing research, and it seems that some of the best Paleo foods are high in purine, which he's supposed to avoid? Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks for the help!
Old 08-18-2008, 02:54 PM   #2
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
Re: Gout Diet

Loren Cordain has an article on gout in the PaleoDiet Newsletter, Volume 2, Issue 4. Unfortunately, they charge $12.95 for back issues, but its much cheaper than a trip to the doctor. You can find the back issue here (WFS):

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/newslett...k_issues.shtml

In a nutshell, he advocates a paleo-diet for gout sufferers and implicates, not surprisingly, high glycemic foods and fructose as significant players. As always, Cordain backs up his conclusions with reference studies and science.