CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-13-2006, 11:35 AM   #1
Nick Cummings

Profile:

I read about shoulder dislocates on this board a week or so ago and then yesterday saw my brother doing them. They feel really good and I think I need more flexibility in my shoulders. What distance between the hands would be considered great, good, average, poor, and horrible? Going through them is slightly uncomfortable but in a good way. I keep my hands pretty far apart on a slim bar I have and am wondering if I should try to shoot for a certain distance between them.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:37 PM   #2
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hey Nick,

If you're setting your standards high, you'll eventually want to be able to cross your wrists over each other while keeping your arms straight. High level gymnasts/O-lifters are able to do this. Don't get discouraged as this may take a few years to attain.

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Old 01-13-2006, 12:42 PM   #3
Michael Stehle

Profile:
Nick, you can also try them with a piece of rubber tubing/bungee cord holding it shoulder width. As you bring the chord over your head and behind your back, pull the chord appart, squeez your scaps together and externally rotate your shoulders. This will give you a good stretch. As you get more ROM, you can move your hands closer together. Hope this helps.

Mike
Old 01-13-2006, 11:33 PM   #4
Nick Cummings

Profile:

.....(I was literally stunned upon reading that people can do them with their wrists crossed.)

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I have to go stretch some more. Right now I have a light barbell, maybe 10lbs. I put a rubber band around it to mark the closest hand spacing I can manage. I am going to see how far in I can roll that rubber band. I was slightly worried about hurting myself, but now I have a goal. I just have to ease into it.