CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-20-2005, 08:18 AM   #1
Gregory Spilson

Profile:
I've been doing "dislocates" with a towel to assist in shoulder flexibility as part of a warmup and intermittenly throughout the day. I know that other movements (OHS, the OLY lifts themselves) will assist in this capacity, but just wondering if there are other methods out there that anyone is aware of. Thanks!
Old 12-20-2005, 09:12 AM   #2
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Hang from a pullup bar with your hands very close together and your head in front of your arms. Try your towel dislocates with an elastic cord or Jumpstretch band. The stretch will get you around your stiff spots but still put tension against them. Lay on the floor face down with a broomstick in your hands. Have someone else gently pull the broomstick off the ground so that your bodyweight provides the ballast to keep your shoulders down as your arms get pulled back. Grab a pair of rings about shoulder height and with one or both hands on the rings lean forward and let your arm(s) get pulled behind you. I am struggling with you Greg...with any weight at all overhead I fall forward as soon as I squat down.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:24 AM   #3
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Cat stretch. Kneel on the floor. Put your hands on the floor well in front of you so your butt is sticking up in the air. Press your chest towards the floor. If necessary put your hands on an elevated surface.

Proper bridges are a great shoulder stretch. Do a bridge and push your chest out over your hands.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:52 AM   #4
Tom Whalen

Profile:
Gregory,

I've been doing a couple of stretches that have helped my shoulder flexibility. The first is actually a chest strech: holding light handweights and lying on my back on a bench I let my arms dangle perpendicularly to my body. It's stretch #262 in Alter's "Sport Stretch" book if you have access to that. The second directly works the shoulder and is also performed lying on my back and with a light handweight. In this one my arm goes next to my head - similar to Alter's #294.

For the strength component of trying to get where I can lock out in overhead position, I've been doing the following: lying face down on the floor n a "Superman" position, lift one locked arm as high off the floor as possible for as long as possible and alternate.

Tyler Hass had an article "CrossFit Shoulder Therapy" in the Oct. '05 issue of the CrossFit Journal that deserves reading.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:57 AM   #5
John Velandra

Profile:
Question... what are "dislocates"??
Old 12-20-2005, 10:18 AM   #6
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi John,

Dislocates - grab a piece of PVC, dowel, whatever. Use the same grip you would for the snatch. Begin with the bar in front of you, parallel to the ground, near your hips. Without bending your arms, circle the bar in front of you, over your head and behind your back. The bar will end up near your lower back. Reverse the movement to bring the bar back to the starting position. If this is very easy, then begin to move the hands closer together. High level gymnasts and weightlifters can actually do this with their wrists crossed over each other while grabbing the bar.

There are pictures of this stretch and many other excellent shoulder stretches in one of the Performance Menus (forget which one) in an article by Greg Everett.

Another good variation is to use a pommel horse, block or other support. Do a handstand a let the legs flop over the support. Once supported focus on opening the chest and bringing it towards the cieling. Similar in many respects to the bridging that Roger's talked about.

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Old 12-20-2005, 10:51 AM   #7
John Velandra

Profile:
You have got to be kidding me... by my lower back?

I can see an increase of flexability, but that's just plain crazy (LOL - I come from a bodybuilding background)....
Old 12-20-2005, 12:57 PM   #8
Jerry Hill

Profile:
You've gotten some great answers here - I'll tell you what really helped my ROM is the 'clubell parry'.
I never use it anymore, but man did it help with my 'tight' shoulders. Good luck!
Old 12-20-2005, 01:56 PM   #9
Michael Stehle

Profile:
Dislocates are great with a piece of rubber tubing. Pull the tubing behind your back while pulling against it's resistance at the same time. I also agree with the club bell stuff, and halo's with a 45lb plate or a kettlbell for awsome shoulder mobility.

Mike
Old 12-20-2005, 02:05 PM   #10
Rob McBee

Profile:
During warmups and in the hopes of added shoulder ROM I do 'tablemakers'. Not sure if that term is universal but its the position for doing 'crab walks'(again with the terminology) except you just remain stationary and work it isometrically. It takes lots of core stability to keep the hips from sagging so you get a double whammy on the conditioning tip.