CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-11-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
Beau Bryant

Profile:
Tendonitis

I have been fighting a case of tendonitis for a few months and came across this trying to find ways to deal with it.

(Link Is W/F safe) http://www.lackhead.org/self_massage/

It has been helping so I thought I'd share.

Also I wish I would have seen this a long time ago. I did the below and found I had considerable pain in specific areas in the forearm and tricep.

Overuse Injuries: their care and prevention
by
Bob McAtee, NCTMB, CSCS

Preventive Care
Here's how to uncover pre-symptomatic tendinitis. Our 'rule of thumb' is that healthy muscles and tendons don't hurt when you press on them firmly. If you have pain with pressure, you have a problem. You can use a massage stroke called 'transverse friction' to ferret out potential tendinitis, wherever you may be at risk for it. Place your thumb or finger over the tendon and rub with firm, steady pressure back and forth across the grain of its fibers. (All tendons are made of fibers that run parallel to each other along the tendon.) Your thumb and your skin move together across the tendon. There should be no sliding of your thumb on the skin. Start with moderate pressure and gradually build to fairly strong pressure. If this causes considerable discomfort (i.e. Pain!), it's a good indication that you have some tendinitis. The best time to fix it is in this pre-symptomatic phase, before it reaches stage 1. You may be able to resolve the problem with a few days of rest, stretching, and ice massage. If the tendon also has adhesions or scarring from repeated microtrauma, then rest and ice will not be enough to cure the injury. You'll need a special technique called Deep Transverse Friction