CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-06-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
Daniel Olmstead

Profile:
Kipping pullups for the very tall

Sorry if this is repeat, searching for "tall" and "pullup" didn't turn up anything.

I'm new to crossfit, and liking it so far. I've been facing a technique challenge with the kipping pullups, though, in that I can't find a bar that's high enough for me to do a full extension hang. I'm 6'4", and every pullup bar at every gym is so low that in order to hang I have to bend my knees, and even then it's a matter of a few inches from my knees to the floor.

So I can't seem to get the momentum for a kip. I figure I have three options: jumping pullups, regular pullups or what I call "pump" pullups (lifting the knees and pushing down near the top of the range to help pop over the bar).

There's no way I can do the volume of pullups some of these workouts call for, so usually I just do as many regular ones as I can and then resort to jumping. I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem, and what they've come up with to address it, in case there's something that's just not occurring to me.

Thanks,
-D
Old 03-06-2008, 11:41 AM   #2
John Seiler

Profile:
Re: Kipping pullups for the very tall

Check out this video of AFT (Brett Marshall) doing Fran. He has a different sort of kip that you might be able to adapt to your forced knee bending.

wfs: http://youtube.com/watch?v=PyXTguBCpv8
Old 03-06-2008, 11:41 AM   #3
Nicolas Kizzee

Profile:

Haha I am in the same situation. I am also 6'4" and have yet to find a pull-up bar that i can do kipping pull-ups. You named all the variations I do. The knee "pumping" pull-up is kinda like kipping but I fell like I concentrate to much of making sure i dont drag my feet to actually do well at that technique. I do not have any advice for you... just letting you know that you aren't the only one That video he still has the ability to go full length with legs stretched out.

Edit: I do remember thinking hanging from a basketball rim that I could do kipping pull-ups but I wouldn't want to risk breaking the rim hehe.

Last edited by Nicolas Kizzee : 03-06-2008 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:43 AM   #4
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

John - you still need the same amount of room with the aft kip.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:32 PM   #5
John Seiler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonid Soubbotine View Post
John - you still need the same amount of room with the aft kip.
Leo, I just tried kipping both ways with my knees bent. It was easier for me to do a 'standard' kip than the AFT version. In fact, it was reasonably efficient and could certainly be applied in Daniel's case. What you're really doing during a kip is transferring horizontal energy into vertical energy. You'd certainly have less energy with your knees bent because the lever is shorter. There is still be some useful energy to be had.

Daniel,
Are you proficient in kipping on a bar with enough height to get your feet off the ground? If not, it would be worth it to find one and develop your kip. That might be more easily transferred to a bent knee kip than trying to learn one cold.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:42 PM   #6
Mary Ann Rigney

Profile:

You might be out of luck at the gym, but here's a pull-up bar I put up in my garage attic opening for my boyfriend, who is 6' 6".

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=22283 (wfs)

You may need a slightly more narrow grip than usual, but it works well. And we also "had to" install a rope through the attic opening since there are no longer stairs there
Old 03-07-2008, 06:23 PM   #7
Jason Karr

Profile:

This is probably a stupid question but do you have a squat cage. That is what I use since I am almost 6'6".
Old 03-08-2008, 01:31 AM   #8
Gorm Laursen

Profile:

I'm there too, and have simply given up on kippers.

Besides my gym have the crossfit dependant apparel positioned so far away from each other (different floors), that the 'for time' element MAY be present, but simply won't allow me for getting really good times at for instance Helen (treadmill on lower floor, back row, pullupbar on higher floor in combination with the cablemachines WHICH IS ALWAYS PACKED, dumbells 30 meter away from pullupbar, space for allowing swings further 5 meters away, repeat ... FOR TIME?! I think not).

My point is, we all are facing limitations, some we can over come through skill, will or others help, some we just really can't ...

So your root issue is: I can't kip, therefore I can't get the same amount of intensity. But if that's the issue, then just throw in the extra intensity through pushups, jumps, lifts, what-do-I-know and don't mind your times aren't as good as in 'the ideal world'. Time's relative, intensity is not.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:09 AM   #9
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

Gorm - learn olympic lifting. I do 1 workout per week on fridays (sometimes another one on thursday - but a short one like helen, fran or similar) and Olympic lifting mon-thursday. My times are constantly getting better and the lifts are improving.

Get stronger and more powerful and your CF will improve!
Old 03-08-2008, 06:37 AM   #10
Drew Raymond

Profile:

Daniel I may have a suggestion that could work. I am 6' 4" as well and nothing at my gym is tall enough either, but what I do is on the squat rack or power rack which has the handles that you can do neutral grip or palms facing pull-ups I put a small Olympic bar or lat pull down bar over those handles that come out. It moves a little bit when you try to kip and makes it a little harder but my feet do not touch the floor. This is how I have over come the challenge of being tall. Hope that helps.