CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-07-2008, 11:50 PM   #1
Josh Brehm

Profile:
Need some advice

I have two general goals right now: I want to perfect as much as possible my lifting technique and up my max's quite a bit (bp: 205, bs: 245, dl: 375, fs: 235, press: 145, pc: 165-185, clean:205), and I want to build up my endurance and speed for running.

I want to make these a continuous thing to work on (well, the running a coninuous thing to work on until I get to where I feel comfortable endurance wise at which point i'll switch to speed), but I don't want to have either one messing up performance gains in the other. What should i do? Should I perhaps work on weightlifting in the winter (as supplementary to CF) when it's rather dangerous to go running due to ice and work on running in the 6 warmer months of the year?
Old 02-08-2008, 08:34 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Need some advice

Is there any reason you're doing endurance then speed? If your goal is to reduce times for track or something similar you probably don't NEED the endurance (if you're talking about longer slow runs) rather just work the speed right off the bat.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:04 AM   #3
Nick Gagnon

Profile:

What kind of running events are you trying to get better at?
Old 02-08-2008, 11:35 AM   #4
Josh Brehm

Profile:

I want to be able to run if I need to. And for me, running is a weakness. I can run fast-ish, for a short distance, but that's it. And I figure I'm only as good as my weakest function. I don't have any specific goals right now because all of my anatomy and physiology studying has messed with my mind a little when it comes to knowing what will influence what. e.g., I don't know now if having an 18 min 3 miler will equate to being able to run long distance or not, and I don't know if training for sprints will help with long distance without running long distance. Also, thanks to my a&p teacher, I'm now confused as to whether or not doing sprints/intervals will give the same cardiovascular rewards as doing long distance will (such as increased left ventricle lumen, increased flexibility of vessel lumens, decreased heart rate, etc).
Old 02-08-2008, 12:27 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Do interval work.

Best 'advice' I've seen regarding intervals is making them about 1/4 of the distance you want to run. So for a mile 400m repeats are good. For 3mi/5km 1200m repeats are fairly good. Run them each as fast as you can with jog/walk/total rest intervals if you want (start off with maybe 3-5 mins or so). You can make them harder by either increasing the distance if you want to make your running for longer or decrease the rest between intervals.