CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-15-2004, 10:59 AM   #1
Tim Morrison

Profile:
I'd be interested in any feedback regarding the following adjustment I make occasionally to the WOD's... with regard to crossfit principles.

I will take an appropriate workout (eg the recent deadlift/dip workout) and transform it to more of a strength one (vs a muscular endurance one.)
I'll do 30-45 min of as many rounds of 5 reps of each.
It of course necessitates heavier loads and slightly longer rest (;30-1;00).
The cardio-respiratory response is at least as strong as the higher rep protocol.
I do this every 7-10 days or so.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:42 PM   #2
Yehoshua Zohar

Profile:
Do you add weight every session or do you try to do it in less time?
Old 11-15-2004, 09:24 PM   #3
Tim Morrison

Profile:
The wod's constantly change so I usually load up as much as I think I can maintain for 30 min. with minimal rest.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:16 PM   #4
Ahmed Moussa

Profile:  
Charles Staley, a strength coach who has dubbed his own system EDT (Escalated Density Training) is a very close system to that of Crossfit, while addressing the strength aspect you desire.

The protocol calls for 15 mins of work in a mlti joint exercise (i.e deadlift, squat, thruster, etc.) and performing as many reps as you can in that time frame. You pick your load and rep scheme.

I have done veriations of this with the deadlift. Picking up the bar and walking two steps forward to the rack, racking it, and taking two steps back to make 1 rep. By far one of the most fun exercises Ive tried.

Anyways, Im sure I left out many deatils and completely bastardized his program, but it gives you an idea of how to apply the Crossfit theory into a strength workout. Hope it was helpful and have fun.

Old 11-18-2004, 01:35 PM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Ahmed-

I think this is a great approach. I think there is also much to be gained from the lower weight approach, even for pure strength gains. Vasily Alexiev(sp?) did hundreds of reps for "pure strength".

IMO the mindset for strength training has settled into a very low rep range which although effective, may not be the entire story.
Robb
Old 11-22-2004, 11:11 PM   #6
Yehoshua Zohar

Profile:
Try this: http://home.comcast.net/~joandbryce/it_all.htm

It is from Bryce Lanes site. He advocates taking a compound movement and doing 50-100 reps in 20 minutes with 1.5-2.0 bw. Quite a challenge. I plan to do it once a week with the TBDL (my best lift). You can play with the three variables (weight, reps, time) but if you are more strength oriented, then I would say do 50 reps in 20 minutes adding weight progressively. If I can reach 1.5 bw x 50 in 20 minutes then I will be a happy camper.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:24 AM   #7
David Wood

Profile:

TBDL = Trap Bar Dead Lift?
Old 11-23-2004, 10:29 AM   #8
Steve Shafley

Profile:
I did that Bryce Lane routine and managed to get to ~445 x 50 reps in 20 minuts in the deadlift before I started peaking for my last O lift meet. When the weights get heavy, this gets very, very brutal.

I tended to do a kind of decending ladder to get the reps, kind of like 3, 2, 3, 2, 3, 2, 3, 2, 3, 2, 1....etc, depending on my fatigue, which got very high. The very last set I would attempt to rep out, and break my previous record.

Old 11-23-2004, 10:30 AM   #9
Steve Shafley

Profile:
I would like to then note that I didn't get any apparent benefit on my 1 RM from ~4 weeks of this type of training. Perhaps when the weights got up towards my max I'd see an effect, but it sure helped me hone my groove and and build work capacity for that lift.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:06 PM   #10
Yehoshua Zohar

Profile:
David - Yes that is correct. I find the TBDL is better suited for my build. At 1.88m. (6"2) I am tallish and I have long legs. The TBDL gives me more error room i.e. if my technique slips I won't blow out my back (as has happened to me in the past with both conventional and Sumo).