CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-28-2008, 10:11 AM   #31
Corey Duvall

Profile:
Re: Prolotherapy for Recurrent Shoulder Dislocation?

Bryant:

So sorry to hear about your most recent problem. I want to give you some advice. "With injury, tissues heal, muscles learn" - Janet Travell. What that quote means is that tissues heal, but muscles are controlled by the nervous system which will alter itself to protect the area from further injury. The problem is, the protective mechanism is not the way a shoulder/back/leg/etc. was meant to move. If not over-ridden, these new movement patterns will place ongoing stresses to the tissues that they are not meant to handle and you will develop chronic problems (much like you have now). The success of your surgery depends DIRECTLY on the quality of your rehabilitation. That rehabilitation does not pertain directly to the shoulder capsule, it pertains to the entire shoulder girdle, from your low back to your neck, across your chest and down your arm. They ALL have an effect and must be working properly for your shoulder to remain stable. This may seem daunting (How could I possibly work all those muscles?) The beauty is that the body doesn't know what muscles are, it only understands movements. You must strive to learn how to perform all of the movements with near perfect form and then proceed to slowly add a load. Muscle imbalance corrections are too often focused on "strengthening the rhomboids". Your body doesn't know what rhomboids are and exercises to directly effect that muscle are too often ineffective. A much easier and more effective approach is to train movements. Muscle imbalances show themselves in poor movements. Learn what the right ones are, find someone to help you do them properly, and rehab in this manner. You have plenty of time (post-surgery you won't be "crossfitting" so spend that time figuring out what you need to do). I have a number of posts in here describing the proper movements of the shoulder girdle and how to train them effectively... I suggest you read them. Watch video's on this website and look for the intricacies of those movements.

Exercises to learn: turkish get ups (Martone's video's are excellent)
Shoulder press, ring dips to full extension at the top, palms forward and chest up (rubber band yourself to remove some of the load to start), pullups, pushups are a good start.

Good luck.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:49 PM   #32
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

My situation is a little different, my shoulder has been chronically painful but not terribly unstable, so since my shoulder has continued to bother me, I decided to go back in. Nice eval, the doc found exactly where the issue was, used ultrasound, then physical exam to elicit crippling pain during a exam where he positioned my arm/shoulder and said resist this etc etc.

This is the same shoulder that has been dislocated twice but last time was >10 years back.

Numbed it up and gave me about 20-30 injections. The next morning my arm was useless, by the end of the day baseline, today better than baseline, but I'm supposed to wait 10-14 days to load it significantly, my naturopath says he usually tells his patients use pain as your guide but after an earlier tx where I trained hard the next day, he further cautioned me. I am supposed to go back in a month for another set unless I feel "cured". 6-8 sets of injections are usually recommended, I have had great results with 1-4 in the past.

My doc actually teaches/gives prolo or mesotherapy seminars to other docs. If you are in the Portland Oregon area and need this send me an email and I can give you his contact info.

Last edited by Craig Van De Walker : 02-02-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #33
Lucas Barth

Profile:

Anyone else out there that's had prolotherapy for reccurent shoulder dislocations or instability? Just found out about this treatment and haven't so far been able to find any one that has had positive results.