CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 11-13-2007, 11:26 PM   #51
Grant Anderson

Profile:
Re: Ronnie Coleman leg pressing

I think based on that study, that really only applies to the "general" climbing population. As with all elite activities, the most elite climbers are better because of something they do or have that is different (often genetic.) Someone with the finger strength and conditioning of Fred Nicole or Dave Graham who was 5'5" could simply not climb the V15 and 5.15 stuff they climb unless they dynoed to the most rediculous holds. That said, for most "good" climbers (probably up to climbing a 5.13d/5.14a or V12) being shorter is better because with that comes a smaller bone structure (usually) and a lighter weight, because it requires less finger strength and pulling strength.

BTW, this is a really random thread, which is by no means about Ronnie Coleman anymore. Kinda funny.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:15 AM   #52
Brandon Oto

Profile:

I thought that good climbers rely mainly on their lower body. Does that become less true as the difficulty of the route increases?
Old 11-14-2007, 04:20 AM   #53
Kris Warner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Anderson View Post

BTW, this is a really random thread, which is by no means about Ronnie Coleman anymore. Kinda funny.
Yes. I'll take all the credit If I hadn't opened my big mouth this thread would have been dead 3 days ago! Now I get to learn about climbing which is something I'm interested in but have no background in.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:00 AM   #54
David Aguasca

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
I thought that good climbers rely mainly on their lower body. Does that become less true as the difficulty of the route increases?
generally speaking, no, it is not less true. there ARE exceptions...there are some difficult routes or problems that require ridiculous campus moves (climbing using only arms). most very difficult routes actually require even MORE precise footwork than easier ones.

the best climbers use their footwork to position their body in a way that maximizes their reach and grip endurance. good footwork also allows them to use available handholds in the best or only way possible.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:24 AM   #55
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Okay, in the spirit of keeping this thread totally off topic, but relating it to other points brought up throughout the thread...

What is considered a "good" DL weight? I would think that for most people that 2x BW is good, or even better than average... then again, crosfitters aren't "most people" are they!?

For that matter, what is "good" in terms of the CFT? 6X BW? 7x BW? More? 6x BW would put me just shy of 1,000# (990 to be exact).

I was damn impressed when I went over 2x BW on my DL, but that was because I had never done any oly lifts in my life prior to CF and I've only been doing CF since our affiliate opened in July. At our last CFT I wanted to pull 405 so bad, but it never came off the ground... 385 was my limit.

My CFT is just over 5x BW, but that is mostly due to the fact that my DL is 2.33x BW.

I'd like to go over 1,000# on a CFT eventually, but I don't do any specific lifting to increase it, so if/when it happens, it'll be purely from WODs. Do you guys think it is realistic that I could be able pull that much more weight just doing WODs?
Old 11-14-2007, 09:42 AM   #56
Kris Warner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
I'd like to go over 1,000# on a CFT eventually, but I don't do any specific lifting to increase it, so if/when it happens, it'll be purely from WODs. Do you guys think it is realistic that I could be able pull that much more weight just doing WODs?
David's gains were from CF WOD only and he pulled over 405. The earlier discussion was geared more on the amount of time and ease to get to 405 (measured in months for a PL approach or years in a CF approach). Yes you will get to 405 with CF WOD only, but it will be slower than a PLing approach.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:57 AM   #57
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Warner View Post
David's gains were from CF WOD only and he pulled over 405. The earlier discussion was geared more on the amount of time and ease to get to 405 (measured in months for a PL approach or years in a CF approach). Yes you will get to 405 with CF WOD only, but it will be slower than a PLing approach.
Kris-
Yeah, I wasn't really too concerned about pulling another 20# on the DL, but I think pulling 165# more in the CFT is a different story entirely.

Hmm... just noticed that 165 is +/- my current BW (yes, I must be dense to not have figured that one out!)... kinda ironic that I am 1x BW away from 1,000# right now.

Perhaps this time next year I'll be there. We'll see.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:05 AM   #58
Kris Warner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post

Hmm... just noticed that 165 is +/- my current BW (yes, I must be dense to not have figured that one out!)... kinda ironic that I am 1x BW away from 1,000# right now.

Perhaps this time next year I'll be there. We'll see.
What about a black box approach? If it is a priority for your DL to go up put more emphasis on movements that train your DL.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:15 AM   #59
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Warner View Post
What about a black box approach? If it is a priority for your DL to go up put more emphasis on movements that train your DL.
No - it actually isn't a "huge" priority of mine at the moment.

Yes, I'd love to have a CFT of 1,000#, but I'd also like to have a sub 4:00 Fran. Right now, I am not close to either, but I've only done each of those WODs twice. Both times there were noticeable improvements: 90# more on my CFT and 2+ minutes quicker on Fran.

For now, I am going to stick with the better, faster, more GPP that the WODs only approach seems to give.

If I find that my CFT only goes up by 1 or 2% next time, then I may change that approach. If it increases by 5% or more I won't touch it. I think that is a good gain since we only test it about every 2 or 3 months.

After the WODs at my affiliate, if/when my body can take it, I generally work on things like muscle ups and max efforts pullups or L pulls. I guess I could always switch it up and incoporate work on squats, dl and presses too if I wanted to get bigger/faster gains on the CFT.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:43 AM   #60
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

www.ronniecoleman.com
wfs from what I've seen so far

"Ronnie’s training background was as a powerlifter, and many of the exercises and techniques used by bodybuilders were foreign to him. Dobson passed on his considerable training knowledge and expertise, and the results were simply astounding. Brian was a very strong man, but within a year, the 5-11, 215-pound ‘beginner’ with 20-inch arms had grown to 230 pounds and eclipsed him in every lift. Within a year, he could squat 500 pounds for 20 deep reps, deadlift over 700 pounds, leg press nearly a ton, and do walking lunges in the 100-degree heat of the parking lot with as much as 350 pounds on his back. He could bench 500 and row 405 for reps, and all completely drug-free at this point, it should be said."