CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:35 AM   #1
Bill Patton

Profile:
Standard Report from LogsItAll

Thanks to efforts of George Mounce and many others we have a working website that captures most (but not yet all...) CrossFit style workouts for determining best performance, average performance, etc. for comparison and training purposes.

So far the most popular workout logged has been a Helen (16 total). The distribution of times for these 16 is:

Helen - total time
Mins Seconds
8 32
9 31
9 48
9 55
9 58
10 20
10 30
10 42
11 8
12 4
12 26
12 58
14 3
22 35
23 15
24 2

If anyone would like to help make this database more complete please visit www.LogsItAll.com to log your workouts - if you find any missing, errors, bugs etc. please pm me or email me at wkpatton@aol.com

I'm also interested in knowing how to "slice" this data. By age? gender? bodyweight? Any thoughts on how to display and report on the stats would be appreciated as well.

-bill patton
Old 09-10-2007, 09:27 AM   #2
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Re: Standard Report from LogsItAll

Everyone: Support this effort like mad. Bill's done a great job putting it together, and this looks like it can be a really great resource if everyone helps get it off the ground (well, it's already off the ground, but the more input the better it is)

Bill: I think slicing it by gender is the best way to do it. I know 18 year olds that can't come close to matching some 55+ year olds workouts. If you really want to get technical, maybe just make a "senior" division too, like 55+? I dunno when's a good cutoff?

Also, I like the idea of having an "As RX'd / Not as RX'd" option to start with, and eventually when you get time, I'd love to see a page specific for each workout, with different scaling options (the ones I mentioned in the other post). What I mean is, as it stands right now, it's got things like "reps" where reps may not be appropriate, etc. If, when you selected the workout, a page opened up that's specifically written for that workout (in XML or whatever) with scaling options, that'd be sweet.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:11 AM   #3
David Knutzen

Profile:

This program is just ridiculously awesome. I honestly can't tell you how much I've wanted something like this for CF, mainly so I can see how I rack and stack with all those monsters out there.

The possibilities for tracking progress are endless! Go through your old WOD records, people.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:59 AM   #4
Bill Patton

Profile:

number of records are increasing - just for fun i've pulled the Helen workouts and listed them along with the birth year of the person who submitted the time... easy to see why this has to be set up for web query - as i could spend all day pulling these numbers in every way possible...

Mins Secs Birth Year
8 32 1989
9 31 1963
9 48 1979
9 52 1974
9 55 1978
9 55 1976
9 58 1986
10 20 1979
10 30 1977
10 42 1986
11 8 1977
12 4 1986
12 26 1984
12 58 1986
13 48 1967
14 3 1957
22 35 1962
23 15 1962
24 2 1962
Old 09-10-2007, 12:21 PM   #5
Darrell E. White

Profile:

All right, I'm clearly challenged, but I went there and couldn't find out how to put in results. I linked from Angy G in today's Comments. What did I not do?
Old 09-10-2007, 12:28 PM   #6
Bill Patton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell E. White View Post
All right, I'm clearly challenged, but I went there and couldn't find out how to put in results. I linked from Angy G in today's Comments. What did I not do?
darrell - you were probably expecting someting more when you got there... it is pretty bare bones at the moment.

1. visit www.LogsItAll.com and click on register to create a new profile (i see you've already done this).

2. After logging in you should see a confirm message "you may now view, modify or create an entry". Clicking on this link takes you to the main logbook page.

3. from the main log page you'll see a drop down list of several loggable activities (if you only want to see CF activities, click on the link to edit list of available activities to hide the ones you don't want to use).

4. Select any one of these activity groups (crossfit load or crossfit named for instance) and this should automatically open up the data entry form below.

If any of these steps aren't working for you - PM me or email wkpatton@aol.com - i use Internet explorer - i've heard from a few people that some versions of firefox don't work as well?

Please let me know how you make out.

-bill patton
Old 09-10-2007, 12:34 PM   #7
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Yep...yep,yep,yep. Needed one more click! I put in my "Filthy fifty" from yesterday, Bill. What a great resource. If we get everyone to enter results this will provide the data that Coach, et al. can use to show the value of CF. May I suggest that you PM Coach and suggest formal women's "as Rx'd" weights for all of the WOD's where they are appropriate?

Thanks for this great site.

D.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:35 PM   #8
George Mounce

Profile:

Holy cow 450 log entries so far! Keep that data coming!

Excellent idea Darrell! Would you like them ranked based on sex as well, so you could see or would times be enough?

<~ Angry G lol

Last edited by George Mounce : 09-10-2007 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:07 PM   #9
Darrell E. White

Profile:

G:

I think times would suffice, especially if you could simply look somewhere at what "as Rx'd" means for men or women. Part of the beauty of this site is its simplicity--you enter only the bare necessities.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:14 PM   #10
David Vessey

Profile:

Wow.. nice application, but did you have to use ASP?

j/k. I'm studying Software Engineering, at one point I thought I could change the world with PHP/MySQL, and I appreciate how difficult the problem of CF data logging/compilation is. I've often wondering what the best way to do it would be.
I'm going to throw out some feedback, but please don't take this the wrong way. I spend most of my day talking about usability of interfaces, programming practices, etc. The whole thing is a great idea and very well done for what I'm assuming is a one man job done in spare time.

-In the CrossFit named section of workouts, there are fields for 'Reps' and 'Pounds'. I'm assuming it's for people who scale the workout, but what if they're scaled by number of rounds?

-you have a 'Cardio' Activity which lists run, bike, swim, but you also have these listed as separate activities on their own...?

Idea: (maybe you've already thought of this, not sure)
Give user the ability to create their own workouts by adding activities, and give them the ability to share workouts. What I'm thinking would be that Helen wouldn't simply be looking for Time, Reps, and Pounds. Instead, you could select an 'as Rx'ed' option which would fill in default values, or 'scaled' option, which would let you fill in individual weight and reps for each excercise involved in the given WOD.

In (very general) OO terms (hopefully this makes more sense if you have a computer background):
a Workout object would be a container for 1 or more Excercise objects. The Workout object would be associated with a Metric object (Time, Rounds, Weight - I think that pretty much sums up all the metrics used?), or maybe just a Metric field. The Workout object would also have a 'rounds' field (ie/ for Helen, the rounds field would be set to 3).
Sitting here thinking I'm drawing a blank as to how to implement this kind of system, especially recording all the data in a sensible way...

The point of this whole post is that this problem is very interesting to me as a CrossFitter and programmer, and I really wish I had done this cause it's pretty cool