CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:32 AM   #1
Jacob Tsypkin

Profile:
Hey all,

I'll be spending next semester (September 6th-December 7th) in London and am looking for a place where I can safely do CrossFit - perhaps even somewhere that has some of the requisite equipment. I'm also looking for some people to work out with while I'm there. Anyone got anything for me?

If it's relevant, I'll be staying somewhat near the University of London/British Museum area.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:14 AM   #2
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Jacob, introduce yourself to the folks over at CrossFit London. There is no one facilty that I am aware of but you should at least make some contacts to put you on the right path.

W/S F/S http://crossfitlondon.proboards50.com/

Cheers, kempie
Old 07-05-2007, 12:45 PM   #3
Jacob Tsypkin

Profile:
Chris,

I posted on their boards quite a while ago, and even sent the main guy a message, but no one responded to me. It was very depressing :-(
Old 07-06-2007, 03:29 AM   #4
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:
Hi Jacob

I work in London and live on the outskirts. I train at Soho gyms Waterloo. Main reason being it's close and it's subsidized by work. There are no rings or bumper plates, but I do power cleans, kipping pull ups and other WOD exercises with no complaints from staff. In fact some of the staff seem fairly like minded. There is a guy there who train with a kettlebell but actually brings his own. He also does box jumps and cleans. Again no issues.

In Lambeth palace park (again beside my work) there is an outdoor workout area with rings, parallel bars etc.

There are lots of big box gyms in London. Some have a good selection of free weight, some don't.

Other options include the East London Gymnastics Club w/f safe link. I've never been but I know CF London do some of their seminars from there.

UL should have it's own gym as well. There are also a number of power lifting gyms in London.

I've attended 3 CF London seminars. They are good guys. Best link to contact them at is

http://www.stemlerfit.com/ w/f safe.

Hope that helps. Any more questions let me know.

Ger
Old 07-06-2007, 09:14 AM   #5
David Wood

Profile:

Jacob:

Try again to reach Andrew (CrossFit London). He really is an excellent trainer, but does more personal training than run a specific club. My limited interaction with him has been nothing but positive.

Like another big city (NYC), London suffers somewhat from a combination of sky-high rents and a culture of somewhat overstressed (and easily distracted?) residents who (apparently) will not travel very far to train. (Despite having an excellent public transit system.)

I found this hard to believe, but checking with my own acquaintances there, all young and reasonably fit (but not CrossFitters), all agreed that they wouldn't go to the gym at all if it wasn't within walking distance (3 blocks?) of their apartments . .. the notion of traveling further than that just seemed amazing to them. (The lesson here has something to do with the need to create a "destination-worthy" combination of service, guidance, training, and camaraderie.)

As far as gyms go, on some visits there I have trained at Jubilee Hall in Covent Garden. Their day use prices are rapacious (10 - 15 pounds, or $20 - $30), but it *is* one heck of a gym, and fairly CF-friendly . . . multiple C2 rowers, lots of free weights, kettlebells, and at least one area where you could drop a weight without them freaking out (I wouldn't try it from overhead though).

The last time I was there, the place was absolutely crawling with personal trainers (at least 50% of the people had someone watching over them), but to their credit (a) they left me alone (no one tried to warn me about how "dangerous" my workout was), and (b) at least of few of the trainers had their clients working pretty hard.

They were also running a "cardio-blast" class that moved from station to station and included some CF-worthy stations such as wall ball and chinups . . . sort of vaguely like "Fight Gone Bad". I got there too late to join that class, but it looked pretty impressive.

If their prices weren't unconscionable for membership, I would consider it.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:54 AM   #6
Jacob Tsypkin

Profile:
Thanks guys. I will try to contact Andrew again and hope for better results, but I won't have the money for personal training or a gym as expensive as the one in Covent Garden.

In the meantime, any more information is appreciated.

Thanks again!