CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 03-29-2006, 05:52 PM   #1
Andrew Sidwell

Profile:
Has anyone noticed an improvement in run times with all the leg work the WOD's require? I'm going to ranger school in 5 weeks and don't want to lose speed or endurance from working legs so much. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:11 PM   #2
Paul Findley

Profile:
Faster sprinting for sure, longer runs seem easier, probably due to the lower relative intensity and a different threshold of pain. I have not run >10k since starting CF for comparison though.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:15 PM   #3
Laura Rucker

Profile:
I've never been a "good" runner. When I started CrossFit I was running 5 miles in about an hour. I never sprinted. I did my first 5K in 34.5 minutes. 2 years later after doing exclusively crossfit for a 6 months, I ran the same race in 31.5 minutes. I'm signed up to run it again next week. I'll come back and let you know how that goes.

I started crossfit with a 4-5 minute 400Meter "sprint". Jeff Martin was too kind to laugh in my face. ;) I can run the 400M in 2.5 minutes now after about 18 months on CrossFit.

I can't attest to whether it hurts or helps a GOOD runner's times, but it has improved my times and my stamina. I am running once a week with "good" runners and each outing they are surprised how I perform for someone who is not a runner.

Old 03-29-2006, 09:39 PM   #4
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Andrew,
Check "running the mile" in this section. Sure you'll get other replies.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:51 AM   #5
John Vernon

Profile:
About 8 months ago I had injured my ankle and wasn't able to run on it. I subbed rowing for running and did the WOD as best I could. It took about 1.5-2 months for my ankle to get better. When it did I immediately noticed that I was at least as fast if not faster than before my running lay-off. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:58 PM   #6
Chris Goodrich

Profile:
My experience is you will not lose speed or endurance (at least not for the mid distance runs you'll do in ranger school). I used the WOD plus some rucking as my trainup for SFAS, and I was one of the fastest guys on the runs, despite rarely running more than 800m at a time. I would still do one or two 5 milers (preferably in formation and calling cadence) before you start, but my guess is you'll find you're at least as fast as when you started the WOD. Crossfit will help you a lot on the Darby Queen. Good luck, Chris
Old 03-30-2006, 03:47 PM   #7
Andrew Sidwell

Profile:
Thanks to everyone for the advice. It is much appreciated.

Chris - congrats with SFAS. They are changing the five mile now in ranger. Instead of running the five miler the day after the PT test, you run the two mile for the PT test and as long as you are under the required time, you just run the final three miles. It should be interesting. Right now I still try to run as often as possible as well as ruck. Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:36 PM   #8
Cole Hanley

Profile:
Funny you should ask...
I'm a runner and started CrossFit last fall right after I PR'd at the Chicago Marathon in 3:17. At about that time, after a good summer of running I also ran my fastest mile ever in 5:45. I had done quite a few mile repeats in training so this was a genuine PR for me.

Since last October I did a 7 mile on Thanksgiving and New Years morning, a long trail run, 5k's twice (one a PR at 19:53), and various 400s and 800s in the WODs. Today was a beautiful day in Ohio and I was curious so I skipped the snatches and went to the track. I ran 4 laps to warm up, progressively faster, rested for a few minutes. Then I set out to see what I could do a mile in after a little over 5 months of CrossFit. 5:48. The first lap was good, I went too easy the second lap, faster the third lap but still too conservative, then kicked it in on the 4th lap but it was a little late. I could have gone faster had I known sooner that I'd have the extra gears. So I don't think I lost any speed. How will I do at the Cleveland Marathon? It will be fun to see.

Also during this time I've gained a few pounds from 130 to 135, gotten my dead lift from basically nothing to 255, done a muscle-up, gotten a PR rowing 2k in 7:44, overhead squat from "what?" to 111, and finally bench pressed my weight comfortably.

Oh, your question... if anything you'll get faster.

Thanks for listening.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:55 PM   #9
Bryan Edge

Profile:
I was never a heavy duty runner, but I definitely noticed some improvements to my overall run times after starting Crossfit.

Several years ago (pre-Crossfit), my best 5k (with 0 incline) on a treadmill was about 24:30 -- and that was an exceptional run for me at the time.

Fast forward to now after about 10 months of Crossfit, and my most recent records were 22:09 (with 0 incline) and 22:29 (with a 1.0 incline).

Plus, like Cole (above), I went from basically no deadlifting to deadlifting 310LB (bw:170) and improvements in pull ups, squats (I'm up to squatting 195LB with full ***-2-ankles ROM), and other improvements. I'm no top-tier crossfitter, but I think I've made good progress thus far.

Crossfit should help your running and improve virtually every other aspect of your fitness as well.

Old 05-16-2006, 01:09 PM   #10
Bob Sorensen

Profile:  
Andrew, best of luck on Ranger School.