CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 10-26-2005, 01:36 PM   #11
Tim Weaver

Profile:
Michael - that was my point...to get folks to read it and know that this stuff works.

Eugene - now THAT is a goal to work toward. The woman taking my blood pressure said I had "great excercise capability" which was great until she dropped this bomb "...considering what you've been through."

Wow...what an ego-deflater. :-) I don't know whether everyone she meets is in pathetic shape, or I was in better shape than she expected, or what.

So, now a goal...to show them up next time. "Incline at 15%? Is that all you got?" :-)

Eugene...how long did that test last, total, so I can get an idea of what to expect.

Old 10-26-2005, 05:15 PM   #12
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Hahah i love it!

Actually a similar sort of thing happened to one of my clients.

One of my clients is very overweight but works extremely hard in our sessions doing some typical crossfit workouts.

She's been going to a special heart/weight loss clinic and had to do a treadmill test. The doctors there were a little confused and very surprised at how long it took her to reach the cut off for the test.

Last week she went to the clinic's exercise class and came out laughing at them because they had people doing bicep curls with...... cans of soup.

Tracey deadlifts 100kg, squats 65kg and benches 45kg and all her lifts are rising.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:25 PM   #13
Jonathan Kessler

Profile:
You guys are very, very mean to your doctors.
:biggrin:

JK

"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam."
Old 10-26-2005, 11:13 PM   #14
Tim Weaver

Profile:
Well, after my open heart surgery, lifting a can of soup would have been nice...I could hardly walk from the car into the house (no stairs, etc.) 4 days later when I went home.

I wanna be really mean to my doc next time. :-)
Old 10-27-2005, 02:54 PM   #15
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Tim, you are probably giving your doc a Heart Attack everytime you mention your workout regime. LOL.

As I think I've mentioned, I had a heart attack and open heart surgery back in 1999. I hadn't been active in excercise until this year, when I thought I'd really make a good lifechange.

It's so amazing to see this thread. (And I thought your opening post was hilarious.)I need to go be mean to my doctor who hasn't seen me in about 3 years. Maybe I'll be able to get off these dang bp meds.

(Message edited by laurar on October 27, 2005)
Old 10-27-2005, 04:20 PM   #16
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Tim (et al.)...

It's likely that they're running you through the Bruce or Balke protocol or something similar. I'm going to post the protocols below so you can see what they're doing and "practice" before you go back. I'm all for screwing with docs/techs whenever possible.

Bruce:
3 minute segments
1st segment (0-3 min) - 10% grade @ 1.7mph
2nd segment (3-6 min) - 12% grade @ 2.5mph
3rd (6-9 min) - 14% @ 3.4
4th (9-12 min) - 16% @ 4.2
5th (12-15 min) - 18% @ 5.0
6th (15-18 min) - 20% @ 5.5

Balke:
1 minute segments
Speed is a constant 3.3mph, grade starts at 0%. After 1 minute it's increased to 2%, every minute thereafter it's increased by 1% (speed stays at 3.3). When you've reached a 25% grade, the speed is increased .2mph/minute but the grade is kept at 25%.

GXTs are boring more than anything else. The worst is running VO2max tests...having your nose clamped and breathing through a cannister of Drierite leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:20 PM   #17
Tim Weaver

Profile:
Matt

Great info...based on your description it must have been Bruce...I was only 6 minutes and countless painful incline steps from finishing...but now...I...Have...A...Goal!!

Muwahahahahaha.

As for scaring my doctor, I've not seen him since I started working out again. And it's not something they really ask, but it is a new cardiologist (started there this year), so we'll see.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:18 PM   #18
Bobbi Beglau Salvini

Profile:
Tim: My dad had a similar story…..He had a cardiac arrest three days after my mom had taken a Red Cross CPR class. She was able to keep his brain in good shape until the paramedics got there. He had a quadruple bypass surgery, then a follow up surgery on the sac around the heart, then aneurysm surgery. The Doc told us it would have been better if he had died because so much of the heart was damaged. He came home after 40 days, and could not walk or lift his hands above mid chest. Once he could get up, he started his exercise program by hanging on the side of a tread mill and lifting one knee every two min. That was all he could do and keep under the target heart rate that the doctor told him not to exceed. A year latter he was walking five miles a day; he was on the Richard Simmons show twice, as the spokesman for the Red Cross. And what was the prize? He won another twelve years of active life. It is amazing what inspiration and exercise can do.

Thanks for reminding us, and being our inspiration today.