CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 11-21-2005, 12:35 PM   #1
Ian Holmes

Profile:
Okay so given that today was a rest day, and I had my weekly rest day on saturday I came up with this today at the gym.
It was one hell of a workout, one I might try and do more regularly... slowly adding more rounds.

So the three elements are these.
Ring pullups. 10 reps.
Box Jumps. 5 reps with each leg.
I was doing these onto a 4 1/2 foot box. Single foot jump, with two steps for takeoff. Land on the box, push up to upright and then hop back down. 5 reps with each leg.
L-sit/Planche thingy. 10 reps.
So you need a set of bars to do this, but here is what it is. Do an L-sit, and then swing into a planche tuck where your legs land on the bar behind you. Work on lifting your *** up so that you are getting your feet onto the bar with close to straight legs. Touch briefly and swing back into the V/L sit.

I did a mere three rounds...it hurt. I think it took a bit over 4minutes, though I really didn't keep a close watch on it. The key thing is just to push yourself to do the whole thing as fast as you can.

Maybe wednesday I will go for 5 rounds.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:18 AM   #2
Ralph Garcia

Profile:
Have you seen this website: http://www.americanparkour.com/

There's a section dedicated to just Gymnastic-type WODs. See here: http://www.americanparkour.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id =37&Itemid=58

I think the Crossfit germ is spreading... fast!

Anybody here ever see Yamakazi (it's a French film)?
Old 11-22-2005, 09:57 AM   #3
Christopher Sommer

Profile:

On the subject of Gymnastics WODs, you may enjoy this former post of mine.

"Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 08:33 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last night my athletes did an unusual workout for the GPP (general physical preparation) portion of their conditioning which some of you may be interested in. In the past we have not done any high rep circuit type training and I was curious to see how they would respond to the challenge.

(After a four hour workout and completing their ring strength training) the GPP assignment was to complete, in 15 minutes, as many rounds as possible of the following: 10 muscleups followed by 20 pause jump squats. The winner would be the one who completed the most rounds within the fifteen minutes.

To avoid traffic congestion problems, the muscleups were done on a single rail of our parallel bars rather than on the rings. Full extention at the top and bottom was required in order to count the rep. The sets could be broken up as needed.

The pause jump squats were simply a jumping squat with a 2-3 second pause at the bottom with hips parallel or slightly below the knees. I placed these here primarily to provide a break for their upper body before the next set of muscleups. (As a side note, towards the end of the workout, one of my athletes became bored with the pause jump squats and began adding a back flip on the jump portion.)

The results were as follows: Chris and Greg chased each other throughout the entire fifteen minutes, completing 12 rounds each and were beginning a thirteenth round when the clock ran out. Chris was crowned champion as he finished his 12th round of muscleups one rep ahead of Greg. For these two yound men that means that in fifteen minutes they completed 120 single bar muscleups and 240 pause jump squats. They were not extremely fatigued and would have been fine had I extended the time of the GPP conditioning period to twenty minutes.

Davey was second with eleven rounds completed for a score of 110 single bar muscleups and 220 pause jump squats. Davey is the one who got bored and began adding the back flips to his pause jump squats.

Allan and Zach were tied for third with 10 rounds apiece for 100 single bar muscleups and 200 pause jump squats. As an interesting aside, Allan only recently turned 9 years old this past March.

We finished off our workout with 50 flairs on the pommel horse. I anticipated some problems here due to support fatigue. The athletes however were in high spirits from their GPP conditioning contest and managed to turn their pommel horse conditioning into another contest to see who could do the most flairs in one turn. Allan and Greg had a great battle with Allan eventually coming out on top with 25. They were having so much fun with their contest that they forgot to stop at fifty.

All in all, a very productive conditioning period. A lot of specific as well as general conditioning was accomplished and the athletes especially enjoyed the challenge of something new and different."

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

OlympicBodies@aol.com
http://t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=512003
http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/229/
Old 11-22-2005, 01:00 PM   #4
Nick Gagnon

Profile:
Holy crap.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:26 PM   #5
Travis Hall

Profile:

i second that. absolutely incredible.
-t.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:23 PM   #6
Ian Holmes

Profile:
Coach you are always setting these grand new goals for me. Now I just need to catch up to some of them. Is there any chance you could throw me a bone, and give me a classic week training schedual that you put your gymnasts through? This is where my training interests lie these days, and I am seeing great gains, I could just really use some input...
Old 11-25-2005, 10:04 AM   #7
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Yeah, coach Sommer, that post has been a motivator for me (and anybody else I send it to) since you first put it up... any bodyweight strength-gains I may have made pale in comparison to that!

Thanks Ralph for checking out American Parkour and the WOD, which I model after the crossfit template, only through bodyweight conditioning and gymnastics skills. Seems to work nicely, as I've had some good feedback from the people who have stuck with it (everything from "I can climb out of saut de bras' much faster" to "you owe me a new shirt, because I puked all over it!")