CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-03-2007, 05:42 PM   #1
Rick Kirkham

Profile:
I'm a fairly active 44 year old - full time diving instructor, 6'3'', 225lbs. I'd like to get started with the crossfit training. At the moment I work out 5 times a week (10km march, or 2km swim) as well as dive 10~20 times a week. No weght training or calisthenics
I want to drop 25lbs over the next 12 months. However, I've just had a gout attack and am wondering how I can reconcile a gout diet (limit meats, beans, wholegrain bread, spinach etc...), with an increased level of activity. I already eat quite well. No soft drinks or alcohol, no fast food and plenty of water (4 liters a day), veggies an fruit. Any suggestions for the best nutrition to maintain muscle, but drop weight and still be within the gout diet?
I'm in no rush to get the weight off.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:14 PM   #2
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Rick,
Check out this article.

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/newslett...DN_Vol2No4.pdf

Much of the standard dogma in gout diets is dead wrong.

No need to limit meats. Nixing the beans and grains is a totally valid thing. Basically, go Paleo, and don't overdo the fruit (1-2 pieces/servings a day).

Other things you may try is black cherry extract and/or sarsaparilla tincture.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:31 PM   #3
Ken Mindoro

Profile:
There's nothing wrong with a moderate intake of purine-rich foods.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSear ch=15014182&ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntr ez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel. Pubmed_RVAbstractPlus

If anything, dropping that 25 pounds will help with your hyperuricemia.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:57 PM   #4
Skylar Cook

Profile:
Yeah, I'd be trying the cherry extract and loading up on blueberries; supposedly the anti-inflammatant properties of the anthocyanins in them can help with gout.

Or so wikipedia tells me.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:16 PM   #5
Andy Shirley

Profile:
I also have the gout. I've had two acute flare-ups in the past(all pre-crossfit). Both were preceded by the usual suspects(alcohol, poor diet, repetitive microtrauma--rugby matches in my case). Haven't had a flare in a few years. Diet is better now, less alcohol. I've only had two uric acid levels tested, one at 11 one around 9. At 11 I was asymptomatic, it was a random test for a CDC study and it was what made me realize my "sprained toe" a year or so earlier was actually gout. The other level was drawn during an ED visit for my second flareup.

If you do feel a flare coming on, the sooner you start the NSAIDs the better(shorter duration of flare, less painful). ALso, I've found that a Bledsoe Boot(big leg boot/immobilizer) allowed me to walk, work, and function while minimizing pain during the flare by essentially making the affected toe non-weight-bearing.

Also, I second what Garrett said for prevention. Never heard of the cherry or sasparilla, but I trust Garrett knows what he's talking about here.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:21 AM   #6
Michael Tong

Profile:
I have also had a couple serious cases of gout - right big toe. Gout is painful, to the point that the last time, I could barely walk bare-foot.

My cases seem to be brought on by seafood - which sucks because I love seafood. Red meats are OK for me.

I had read that apple cider vinegar works for a lot of people to flush out the uric acid. It didn't do a thing for me. Then I tried real organic cherry juice. That worked like a charm.

I was just about laid up in pain one night - it was even painful for the bed comforter to touch my toe. Earlier that night, I drank about 16 oz. of cherry juice. The next morning, the toe joint was still sensitive but I could walk without any trouble. I continued to drink cherry juice in reasonable amounts and it cleared up completely in 2-3 days. For another attack a year earlier, prescribed meds didn't do anything (except prevent the pain from getting any worse) for 2 full weeks.

So now, I just keep cherry juice on hand and eat what I want (although seafood is still watched closely). If I have any sensation of a gout attack, chug some cherry juice and it clears it up.

Some say drink cherry juice for maintenance. However, I don't want my body to become accustomed to it, fearing that I will lose the effectiveness when I have a bad attack. So, I usually drink lemon or lime juice in water with a bit of honey for maintenance.

For reference, I follow a 90-95% paleo diet with IF; zero sodas, fast-food, alcohol; 39 yrs, and in shape.