CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #1
Clark Petri

Profile:
Multiple WODs

I'm fortunate enough to find myself with the time and gym access to train a couple times a day if I so desire, which is a welcome situation after years of Navy sleep deprivation. The June 4th video regarding Mikko's training for the games has been stuck in my head. While certainly not Mikko, I do like the idea of getting in a couple of WODs each day. Thoughts on this?

I'd certainly listen to my body and back off when needed. I'd also stick with 3 on, 1 off but those three on may consist of multiple WODs or at least a morning with skills training and an evening WOD.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
Trey Williams

Profile:
Re: Multiple WODs

I spent several months trying 2 metcons a day on a 3 on 1 off schedule. Overtraining became an issue. Some metcon times improved but I didn't get any stronger. I've been making much better progress on a strength linear progression + conditioning a la 70's big/CrossFit Football.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
Clark Petri

Profile:

I should have been more specific in that I would do strength or skills work in mornings with a metcon in the afternoon.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:30 AM   #4
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

That is almost exactly how CFFB standard program is built, it shouldn't be a problem. Many of us actually do dedicated strength immediately before or after a WOD actually, and once you get past the initial adaptation to it, its normal and not over-taxing.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Depends what you consider a "WOD".

All-out aerobic circuits lasting 8-30 minutes multiple times a day on a regular basis is probably not the best thing to do.

On the other hand, strength/skill work at sub-maximal effort (which doesn't really count as a WOD...) followed by a short metcon is what a lot of people have done with success.

Metcons are often far more stressful on the central nervous system than many other forms of training (like sub-maximal strength work, distance work, skills, etc).