CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-26-2011, 05:46 AM   #1
Iris Giesler

Profile:
"problems" with short workouts

I have a long history of competing in long-distance running. Over the last 1,5 years I have integrated much more strength and conditioning workouts (barbell strength training, kettlebell circuits, body weight circuits and recently I have become more and more inspired by crossfit workouts). Blame it to my long relationship with endurance exercise I feel "incomplete" after working out for less than 45 minutes. I do not seek psychological coaching here but I am curious if people here who came from other sports experienced the same. I have a tendency to "stretch" my workouts (warm-up, sometimes even doing another round) in order to get a longer workout. I often feel like it is not "worth" getting myself and my daughter ready, dropping her at the gym`s daycare, change clothes etc. for a meager 25 minutes....I know it would do me good to add a sauna session or jumping into the pool to prolong my time there but it always needs to be a workout...Can someone relate? Believe me, though my post sounds differently, I use to be a person of common sense...
Old 03-26-2011, 06:13 AM   #2
James Yates

Profile:
Re: "problems" with short workouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iris Giesler View Post
I have a long history of competing in long-distance running. Over the last 1,5 years I have integrated much more strength and conditioning workouts (barbell strength training, kettlebell circuits, body weight circuits and recently I have become more and more inspired by crossfit workouts). Blame it to my long relationship with endurance exercise I feel "incomplete" after working out for less than 45 minutes. I do not seek psychological coaching here but I am curious if people here who came from other sports experienced the same. I have a tendency to "stretch" my workouts (warm-up, sometimes even doing another round) in order to get a longer workout. I often feel like it is not "worth" getting myself and my daughter ready, dropping her at the gym`s daycare, change clothes etc. for a meager 25 minutes....I know it would do me good to add a sauna session or jumping into the pool to prolong my time there but it always needs to be a workout...Can someone relate? Believe me, though my post sounds differently, I use to be a person of common sense...
Yeah, when I first jumped on-board, some of the short workouts and some of the skill and gymnastic movements kinda seemed weird to me. After a while, it all just becomes part of the variety. You need a short day once in a wile to make up for the long hero WODs. You need a static strength day to balance all the dynamic movements.... etc.

Focus on the goal(s) of the workout... metabolic conditioning, muscular endurance, sprint, strength, balance, skill, etc... don't try to change a "sprint" workout into a longer "endurance" workout. Your body will still be adequately stimulated by the shorter workout. Don't fall into the trap that every workout must be x minutes long.

Then again, if the WOD's goals don't match up with your goals, don't be afraid to mix it up. Also, maybe CF Endurance would be better for you?
Old 03-26-2011, 06:27 AM   #3
Iris Giesler

Profile:

No "crossfit endurance" for me! I definitely need the strength from weight lifting and I am happy to have at least recovered (though not fully) from chronic cardio! But I need to abandon my "more is better" attitude...
Old 03-26-2011, 07:25 AM   #4
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Unless you have extremely good recovery and your nutrition is spot on, if you hit the WODs hard enough, no matter how short, you will not be begging for more. Like James said the length of the WOD varies, so take advantage the short and maybe easier ones because a long grueling one might be tomorrow's workout.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

The short workouts tend to be about 10x more painful than the long ones if you're doing them with intensity. I can't think of anything that matched the pain of my first sub-3:00 Fran or a heavy set of 20 rep squats that took me almost 3 minutes.

There's nothing wrong with spending an hour in the gym....10 mins warmup/mobility, 30 mins skill/strength work, 10 mins metcon, 10 mins cooldown/mobility, but there's no reason the think the metcon has to be 30+ mins for it to be doing anything good for you.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:32 AM   #6
Jared Ashley

Profile:

I'm with Eric... nothing wrong with a long workout, but it doesn't have to be all metcon. Skill work like oly lifts, handstands, double-unders, gymnastic skills can fill some time and make you a better athelete, and the warmup, cool-down, and especially stretching are often neglected.

Also, strength work takes a lot of time... most of my workouts are around 60-90 minutes and might be 3x5 squats, 3x5 press and a short metcon. those work sets are HARD and require a lot of rest between, plus a warmup.