CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:41 AM   #1
Bob Guere

Profile:
ACS Relay for Life

My first affiliate event will be a team in the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life. Our walk is on the 18th of April.

First, any SoCal CrossFitters who want to join us, look up "CrossFit California City" on the Relay website. JOIN MY TEAM! (WFS)

Second, have any of you done this event with your affiliate? Any ideas on CrossFit-type activities to try? I think our themed booth will center on nutrition as a guard against cancers.

Robb Wolfe, if you're listening, I'd love to tap you for depositories of information I can use.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:20 PM   #2
Cody Limbaugh

Profile:
Re: ACS Relay for Life

We did the Relay for Life last year and are doing it again this year.

One thing I will say is: as much as you want to share your passion in fitness/health/nutrition, people will walk by your booth over and over again without even making eye contact with you unless you do something FUN to bring them in. THEN you can share valuable info with them.

We do sort of a boxing themed workout every Saturday that is free but we accept donations for various charities. Then, at the event we set up a heavy bag and worked out a couple times to get attention. I also coordinated with some of the leadership and was able to take the stage and teach a group stretch and warm up for the event. We also had auction items for the silent auction (free training and a gym bag..) and the profits went to the charity.

This year we are actually holding our own fundraiser before the event where people will get pledges for points in a Fight Gone Bad style workout. People can choose their fighter and pledge $0.10 per point or something. The city is even letting us reserve the entire park for the event for free because it is for charity!

Bottom line: do some sort of fun activities to draw them in!

BTW: Speaking of nutrition...I was very disappointed in this years' kick off event for ACS Relay for Life. They are talking about a cure and the only "snacks" provided for the event were cookies and brownies- A HUGE TABLE OF CRAP PROCESSED SUGAR JUNK! Not a single veggie tray and not a protein source in the building other than the other participants.
Cody Limbaugh- CrossFit eXcellence, Lake Oswego OR http://crossfitexcellence.com (w/f safe) 'Excellence is not perfectionism-nobody is perfect,but every one of us can strive to live a life of excellence.'-Mike Woods
Old 03-14-2009, 09:57 AM   #3
Bob Guere

Profile:
Re: ACS Relay for Life

Thank you Cody for your insight. We do plan on doing a couple workouts ... FGB is a good one. We'll be bringing a couple bars, bumpers, plyo boxes, etc. to have available as well.

CFJ 15 and 21 would be great as handouts, I think I'll email CFHQ for the all clear to do that.