CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-16-2009, 09:00 PM   #81
Robert Callahan

Profile:
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
Brian, that's exactly how I feel and why I was wondering about putting it last.
I asked the same thing and Jeff said that at brandx they do skill/gymnastics work both before and after their workouts. They put it after because doing skill work with an increased heart rate has more carry over to CF WODs, but like Brian I moved it to part of my warm up because after workouts I am not consistent enough about doing the skill work.

Hope that helps!

-Robert
Old 02-16-2009, 09:20 PM   #82
Chris Walls

Profile:

Also a good point... I suppose like all CF variety is the answer! sometimes before and sometimes after and sometimes both. heh
Old 02-16-2009, 10:33 PM   #83
Callum Owen

Profile:

Anyone have any good suggestions for what kinds of workouts to include after each strength workout. Also, if we are making our own workouts or selecting old ones how can one be sure that they are not avoiding certain exercises or becoming biased in their WOD selection?

Thanks
Old 02-16-2009, 10:49 PM   #84
Vern Remy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callum Owen View Post
Anyone have any good suggestions for what kinds of workouts to include after each strength workout. Also, if we are making our own workouts or selecting old ones how can one be sure that they are not avoiding certain exercises or becoming biased in their WOD selection?

Thanks
To remain unbiased in my workouts I throw in workouts that I hate. I dread doing them because I know that it will bring me to the brink of puking, but I know the exercise is beneficial and it serves a purpose.

My question is what do people do for stretching? My hamstrings are short and tight. I'm desperate and today did some youtube Yoga. I could feel the stretching, but in the same breath I never thought I could udder the word yoga.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:01 PM   #85
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Make good mornings and stiff leg deadlift your friends. No need to work these with high loads unless you want strength in those areas. Pavel does something like these called standing pikes and Sommer does these with weights to load them up more and cause more stretch. Do some pike stretching, do more L sits and L hangs and leg lifts.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:53 AM   #86
Chris Kemp

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callum Owen View Post

Thanks
Callum, in general you could run main page with a few tweaks and therefore avoid the risk of cherrypicking. Cindy could be cut to 10 or 15 minutes, filthy fifty could be dut to thirty, Fran Lizzie and Diane can generally be left alone but maybe you could load them up and cut to 15-12-9. Just trim so you can get them done in the 10 or 15 min time you are targetting

If an ME WOD came up, you could sub in any tasty workout that you'd been meaning to catch up on

Cheers, kempie
Old 02-17-2009, 02:02 AM   #87
Chris Kemp

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern Remy View Post
My question is what do people do for stretching? My hamstrings are short and tight. I'm desperate and today did some youtube Yoga. I could feel the stretching, but in the same breath I never thought I could udder the word yoga.
Vern, stretching doesn't really have a whole bunch to do with this thread at all, or at least no more so than any other thread on the board. Please keep your posts on point.

However, for CrossFit targeted stretching goodness you really can't go past a series of posts by Kelly Starrett (sp?) on the San Franciso CrossFit blog over here (generally WFS - maybe a few salty words) . The series has been running over the last few months and includes quads, hams, calves, hips and lats. Everything a good CrossFitter should stretch.

Cheers, kempie
Old 02-17-2009, 12:03 PM   #88
Vern Remy

Profile:

What does the SB stand for CFSB? I may have a question, but I could be looking in the wrong area.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:15 PM   #89
Chris Walls

Profile:

Strength Bias
Old 02-17-2009, 04:45 PM   #90
Chris Walls

Profile:

How does one find out what weight to use for a 20 rep deadlift set? Just pick something you know you can do and do it? Or a % of 1/3/5 rm?

Like today, from what I understand, will be deadlift 3x3, and then 1x15-20. If I'm doing 305 for the 3x3 what would be a good start for the 1x15-20? 185? 225?