CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:36 PM   #1
John Bedford

Profile:
Im brand new to CF and i was wondering is there a way to start a thread asking for people in the Fort Worth area willing to meet and help me get started. This is probably a really bad question but i cannot figure out how to start my own thread. Im looking to use CF to help with my MMA career. Any help would be appreciated!!
Old 07-07-2007, 04:26 AM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

Hi John, and welcome to CrossFit!

I moved your post to a new thread in the "Community" section, which is where we keep posts like this (CrossFitters trying to connect with others). There are a fair number of Texas folks out there, including some in the Metroplex, so I think you'll make some connection.

One other way to find people is to go into the "Member List" section and sort by state name . . . you can then send a personal message (a "PM") to folks who live near you.

Starting a new thread is a bit of a pain, I admit ... the link to do so is way, *way* down at the bottom of each section of the board.

So, if you want to start a new thread in "Exercises" (for instance), you go into the board in "tree view", then click on the section where you want your thread, and then scroll all the way to the bottom of the page. There's a small link there that says "Start new thread". Click on that and it's easy from there . . . it's just hard to find it.

We have this problem due to the age of the discussion software we use (and our sucess! (too many archives)). Every time we've looked at converting to something more modern, the price we would pay would be the loss of all our history, which seems a high cost.

Again, welcome!
Old 07-07-2007, 06:18 AM   #3
John Bedford

Profile:
David thanks alot for your help and the support. Im really looking forward to learning all that i can about CF. What would you recommend for me to do to get familar with all the lingo, and excrecises. I consider myself in good shape and very athletic, just looking for some more stamina, and muscle endurance during my fights. Again thanks for the help.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:55 AM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

Hi John:

Standard advice to all newcomers is:

Read the "What is CrossFit?" and "Start Here" links from the left side of the main page:

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/what-crossfit.html

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/start-how.html

A lot of the "lingo" can be picked up by reading the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions), also linked from the left side of the main page:

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html

The CrossFit Journal is a tremendous resource, and well worth the $25 subscription cost . . . but if you're cheap, there are free articles from every issue provided here:

http://www.crossfit.com/journal/

Finally, standard advice is *always* to start slowly, and respect the workouts until you know what your body can handle. Depending on what you have been doing, you may be able to start up quickly, but I'd suggest making sure you can do the movements efficiently and with good form before ramping up on intensity.

If you're interested in "scaled" versions of CrossFit, there are two approches you can use:

a) the CrossFit affiliate "Brand X Martial Arts" (in Ramona California) publishes a scaled version of the CrossFit WOD every day . . . you can access that here:

http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/viewforum.php?f=16

b) Kevin McKay (a regular member here) runs the site: http://www.simplefit.org/ which offers a very simple (duh!) sort of "runway to CrossFit" . . . emphasis on bodyweight workouts, simple movements, and minimizing equipment needs and complexity. A very good starting point, although you may be past that if you're in good shape.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:03 AM   #5
John Bedford

Profile:
Thanks David for all the help. Im soo excited to get started with this. Still a little confused how to search for people in the DFW area and still havent gotten any replies from any local people either. I would love to find a training partner, so we could push eachother.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:11 PM   #6
David Wood

Profile:

Hi John:

OK, here's a tutorial on how to use our (extremely clumsy) "member list" feature in discussion board.

Yes, it's ugly. And, again, the "kludginess" is a function of the age of the software we use . . . yes, we know there's better stuff out there. Besides losing all our history if we changed, we'd have to re-train the moderators, and that seems impossible.

1) look up at the top of whatever screen you're on when in the discussion board. There's a link up there called "Member List". Click on it.

2) this brings you into the member list, but the default display options aren't very useful.

3) There's a link near the center top that says "show list options". Click on that, and the screen will re-draw with more choices of information to be displayed.

4) Under "Display Columns", you get a set of choices like "username", "full name", "profile", "state/province", etc. Use Shift+click or control+click to select all of them.

5) Under "maximum entries per page", click on "Show All" (You don't want to bother scrolling through pages here; it's easier if it's all on one page)

6) Don't bother with the "Search" box for this, it only searches "Username" and "full name" (potentially useful, but not right now).

7) Click on "New Search". this will refresh the screen with all members and all information that you wanted to show. (I hope you selected City, and "State/Province" above). If you selected "show all", it might take a few moments.

8) OK, you now have table with all members, showing whatever columns you selected back in step 4. (Ideally, you selected all of them.) It's probably sorted by "Username".

You can copy all of this into an Excel spreadsheet and work with it there (if you're familiar with that), but if you're not, you'll notice that the column headers are blue underlined links. If you click on one of them (like, for instance, "city") the screen will re-sort in that order.

9) Now you can scroll down and start looking for members in "Fort Worth" or "Ft. Worth" (or even Dallas, or Irving, or Arlington, Bedford, Euless, Grapevine, etc. (can you tell I used to live in the Mid-Cities?). Note that the city names will be whatever people entered themselves as (hence, both "Fort Worth" and "Ft. Worth" will be listed). There are 5 or 6 folks in total.

10) You could also sort by "state", and then look for people in "Texas" or "TX" generally . . . might be someone in some smaller city around the Metroplex that you might not otherwise think to look for.

11) Finally, if you do see someone you want to contact, click on the little icon that's supposed to look like a Rolodex card (does anyone remember these?) next to their name. That will bring up the profile information for that person, and, if the profile they set up allows them to receive personal messages, you can send them one through the board looking to connect.

Hope this works for you! I know there are fairly active groups in College Station, San Antonio, and other Texas towns . . . maybe you can be the nucleus of a group in DFW!