CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-05-2016, 08:20 AM   #1
Patrick Haggan

Profile:
Garage Gym Questions

Between work, kids, and life it is hard to find time to go to a box. Luckily I have a three car garage but only have two cars. I have been picking up equipment here and there. I have a CAP squat rack/pull up par. I had a craigslist bought barbell, i recently purchased a CAP Barbell Olympic Bar, 2-Inch, 1000-Pound Capacity, 7-Feet. I have a pair of Rogue 15 lbs HI Temps, and a pair of 25lbs CAP bumper plates. While I understand the CAP stuff may not be the best, I also have a toy (car) that gets most (all) of my spare money/attention.
My question is as follows. The craigslist bar I got was fine until I got my 25 lbs bumpers. Almost immediately the ends started to bend, this was after maybe a week of OLY lifting. I would use the 25's and 15's with other iron plates, 2.5, 5', 10's, since my max snatch is 135 and my max C&J is 190 I am not that critically worried about getting a set of 45's yet. I replaced it within the CAP barbell and within 2 weeks the same thing. Amazon is going to replace it free of charge which is a good thing. All this being said, is the culprit the bumper, which I have a hard time believing, or is it my garage floor?
I do not have a platform, I just use my garage floor. I have noticed that my 25's have zero, and I mean zero, bounce. Would building a platform cure this or am I doomed until I purchase a better quality bar? I read all the reviews and folks were using this bar for similar purposes. Crossfit, oly lifting etc.. I find my confidence lacking a bit when going for heavy lifts, i don't want to miss the lift a drop the bar only to damage it further.
I know this was a long winded post, but I thought I would throw the question to the community.

Thank You
Old 04-05-2016, 08:26 AM   #2
Steven Ngo

Profile:
Re: Garage Gym Questions

If you feel you'll be doing a lot of lifting and dropping in the long run, i would highly suggest investing in a quality bar. Besides your body, the bar will probably be the most used / abused piece of equipment in that gym