CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-24-2015, 09:30 AM   #1
Justin Brown

Profile:
2-person Garage Gym

Hi All,

I am hoping to get some suggestions from everybody. I have a 3rd stall of my garage that I am planning to turn into a garage gym for my wife and I.

I would really like us to be able to work out together with separate rigs/racks. Width wise what is the narrowest amount of space that I could fit rigs in side by side?

Does anybody have any strategies for how to arrange the 3rd stall to fit in 2 racks/rigs?

Also note that my garage has a decent slope on it so putting a rig on the side wall might be less than idea.

Any thoughts/suggestions I would appreciate.

Thanks,
Justin
Old 11-24-2015, 10:51 AM   #2
Patrick Weaver

Profile:
Re: 2-person Garage Gym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Brown View Post
Hi All,

I am hoping to get some suggestions from everybody. I have a 3rd stall of my garage that I am planning to turn into a garage gym for my wife and I.

I would really like us to be able to work out together with separate rigs/racks. Width wise what is the narrowest amount of space that I could fit rigs in side by side?

Does anybody have any strategies for how to arrange the 3rd stall to fit in 2 racks/rigs?

Also note that my garage has a decent slope on it so putting a rig on the side wall might be less than idea.

Any thoughts/suggestions I would appreciate.

Thanks,
Justin
It has been discussed before where people got a full rack and had it set up to where you could work on both sides of the rack. Get one with good depth and then you could both do kipping pull ups even without kicking each other. It's Black Friday week and everyone will have their stuff on sale so lots of options -which is probably why you are asking right now!
Old 11-24-2015, 10:59 AM   #3
Peter Keller

Profile:

I've lifted 2 people to a solid cage before and been happy in a tight spot.

I just put a wall-mount, 4 foot rig in my garage (pics to come soon), but I don't need to squat 2 people at a time.

You should also look at the slim jim wall-mounts from Pure Strength and PRx's hinged wall-mount solutions.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:53 AM   #4
Justin Brown

Profile:

My wife really likes the slim gym option. But I think that would be too wide if I think about putting 2 barbells side by side. (7 ft mens + 6.5 ft womens bar)

However I did just think that if I stagger the distance from the wall then it might work. E.G. 1 12-inch slim gym and 1 24-inch slim gym. Or if I went with a 12 in slim gym and 24 in slim gym it might work.

Thoughts?

I will also look into the free standing rig option.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:25 PM   #5
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:

a picture and dimensions of your garage would be helpful.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:34 PM   #6
Justin Brown

Profile:

It is approximately 11 ft wide and 20 ft deep.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:47 PM   #7
Jason A Smith

Profile:

You will both be able to lift in there at the same time but not a whole lot of room for much else. My garage space for my home gym is about the same size. I would just stall mat the whole garage and buy stands. You need about an 8'X8' space for someone to safely lift weights. A big rig or stand will get in the way of anything else. I also have a GHD, rower, air bike, pull up rig etc in my garage.

Depends what else you want to do, but space for both of you at the same time in that space will be tight.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:02 PM   #8
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

If you don't have and need pull up options, the Rogue S2 squat stand with the wheels is the way to go. You can easily move it out of the way. Assuming you have the space to leave it when not in use. The only reason I would want any sort of cage is for jerk recoveries. It would just be in the way otherwise. I can do jerk recoveries with my S2 and spotter arms, though.

Of course, depending on your set up, a cage right in the center, splitting the two areas could work.

It height an issue with your garage door rails, etc?
Old 11-26-2015, 10:18 PM   #9
Joey Allen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Brown View Post
It is approximately 11 ft wide and 20 ft deep.
That's a pretty decent size.. I lifted with three people in an 18' x9' space for a couple years. Rogue R3 rack was on one side, other side had a pull up bar and space for another lifting area (deadlifts, oly lifts, etc). See the link in my sig below..

My gym is now in a 11'x11' room in our home. 2 people max for power lifts, but it is still doable. We have to go outside for serious WODs though.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:25 PM   #10
Mike Hollister

Profile:

I'm not sure why everyone who has need for two doesn't do it the way I have done it. It's perfect if you mostly want to lift. I have an R3 that serves as an anchor to two 8by8 platforms. Here's is a picture. I have since moved and now it's in a single car stall and I have a ring hanger above one part w/ some hooks for the rings. Still works perfectly. I'll have to take some new pics some time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130406-fb-8330.jpg
Views:	1280
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	13907