CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-29-2015, 10:06 AM   #11
Jason Fischer

Profile:
Re: Assault bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason A Smith View Post
As far as at home equipment it is one of the last things I would buy.

I have been at this for just over six years. For $1000 you could set yourself up with a good bar, bumpers, rack, and pull up bar.

I had all that stuff and an erg for several years before I even bought an air bike.

Depends what program you follow as well. Some make no use of it, some do.
Generally speaking I agree with you, but as someone who lives in a basement suit, I don't have a ton of space to work with. Certainly not enough for a bar/bumper/rack set up. I've been kind of back and forth between picking up a C2 or an airdyne (be it assault, or schwinn or whatever). Because an airdyne takes up less space, I'll likely end up with one of those.

The dream is to have a garage gym, but even once I get into a house, it'll probably be small and not have a garage.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:08 PM   #12
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Fair enough.

I got my Assault Bike in a couple weeks ago. It is definitely an upgrade over any of our Airdyne's. I wonder if you will see it show up in the Open/Regionals at some point.

At any rate I like it. I actually prefer biking to rowing which is likely why I suck so bad at rowing. Regardless, it would be a solid purchase for anyone looking for a piece of cardio equipment.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:12 PM   #13
Steven Ngo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Andy,

You got edited. Which are you saying?
probably "assault" but some autocorrect is cutting out the 'ault'

as far as c2 (or other indoor) rower vs ault bike, i figure it's easier to get real bike and go out on the road than getting a row boat and going out on the water, so i'd got with indoor rower.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:43 AM   #14
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason A Smith View Post
Fair enough.

I got my Assault Bike in a couple weeks ago. It is definitely an upgrade over any of our Airdyne's. I wonder if you will see it show up in the Open/Regionals at some point.

At any rate I like it. I actually prefer biking to rowing which is likely why I suck so bad at rowing. Regardless, it would be a solid purchase for anyone looking for a piece of cardio equipment.
The cool thing about the bike is there is no rest phase, it's all out the whole time.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:43 PM   #15
mike vinson

Profile:

I follow mainsite. Do you guys think assault bikes will start appearing in WODs? I've seen "bike" come up once or twice over the years but it was a longer ride and I think they meant road bike.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:34 AM   #16
Jason A Smith

Profile:

I think you could start seeing it maybe at Regionals in the next year or two. A sprint to 50 cals or something like that is just miserable.

It might show up on the mainsite at some point. Not sure if they have ever programmed sled pushes or pulls.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:34 AM   #17
Steven Ngo

Profile:

they've had sled as well as stationary bike on mainsite wod. i don't think they've ever had that trueform runner thing, though.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:54 AM   #18
Steven Wingo

Profile:

So I'm going to buy an AirDyne or Assault Bike soon. (I've already got a C2 rower at home and all the other basic equipment). I've used the AirDyne AD6 bike at our box--and have fitted it with better pedals. As a former cyclist used to a perfect bike fit, the AirDyne is awful in terms of the adjustments available.

I have never used an Assault Bike. Was going to go with it because it has more adjustments for the seat to get a proper fit. Bottom line is neither will provide a top level fit, but what I'm looking for is a complement to the rower that uses your whole body. (There is an AirDyne Pro announce on Schwinn's site as coming out soon with more adjustments, but it is also looking like it will have a super fancy computer and that isn't something I'm looking for I just want a machine to kick my *** and show my watts and Calories.)

So for those who have used both, which do I get: Assault Bike? Or AirDyne?

---

By the way I'm going to be selling my road bike--said I'd never sell it because it is such a beautiful bike and a great fit. If anyone is looking for a 50cm (sloping) Colnago C59 with Zipp Firecrest 303 (tubular) wheels with Powertap and Campy components, just let me know.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:39 AM   #19
Jason A Smith

Profile:

I have been on both the Assault Bike (which I own) as well as an AD6. The Assault Bike is a lot more substantial as it is basically a very beefed up AD4.

Not sure about the AD Pro but it looks like an answer to the Assault Bike.

The Assault Bikes were used at the Games this year and also have been very involved in marketing to Crossfit in general. Most gyms have been buying those (although I am sure there are some who prefer the cheaper AD6).

I like my Assault Bike and predict it will last me for a long time. Much like my C2 rower it will be one of the only things I do not upgrade in my home gym over time.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:09 PM   #20
Peter Keller

Profile:

I've used all of the above + more and if I wanted an "Airdyne-type" bike for my garage, here is my declining order of preference:
  1. A decent used Airdyne, pref with all-metal construction (craigslist)
  2. An Airdyne AD2
  3. Air Assault Bike
  4. Airdyne AD6
  5. Everything else

My reasoning is along a value-for-money approach:
  1. A craigslist used airdyne will be $50-$150 and prob last a long time, but possibly be a pain in the butt to find
  2. An Airdyne AD2 is $300-$400 new and in my (considerable) experience, more durable than the AD6
  3. The Air Assault Bike is obvs the king, but costs $1k
  4. The AD6 has an improved control panel over the AD2 and is supposedly more durable, but I don't recommend it for the $200-$400 premium over the AD6, and as I mentioned, I have not seen the durability pan out for our customers