CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-22-2015, 01:49 PM   #1
Nik Nichols

Profile:
Sports specific golf exercises

Quick question, anyone got golf specific exercises you can pass on?
Old 04-25-2015, 09:36 AM   #2
Philipp Lendner

Profile:
Re: Sports specific golf exercises

Well, there is some stuff on the web, like this (wfs). Other than that, you can have a friend (or a wall) and throw a medball to the side, imitating a golf swing.
On top of that, I'll say windshield wipers (wfs) or a progression might be a good idea, as would be T2B, but here you touch the bar outside the hands. And, of course, side plank holds are a must.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:40 PM   #3
David Meverden

Profile:

Who is it for? Is it someone relatively out of shape who asked you "hey, you workout a lot: what are a couple of things I can do for my golf game?" or is it an athlete who knows his way around the gym and also golfs?

The former I would only give pretty generic strength and core exercises. If it's an athlete who knows how to do things like squat and press then I might suggest (in addition to core anti-rotation stuff) overhead squats. I have no specific experience training golfers, but Dan John is a big proponent of heavy OHS for throwers (shotput, discus. http://danjohn.net/the-overhead-squat-article/ WFS); I bet it would be good for golfers too.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:28 AM   #4
Alex Burden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Who is it for? Is it someone relatively out of shape who asked you "hey, you workout a lot: what are a couple of things I can do for my golf game?" or is it an athlete who knows his way around the gym and also golfs?

The former I would only give pretty generic strength and core exercises. If it's an athlete who knows how to do things like squat and press then I might suggest (in addition to core anti-rotation stuff) overhead squats. I have no specific experience training golfers, but Dan John is a big proponent of heavy OHS for throwers (shotput, discus. http://danjohn.net/the-overhead-squat-article/ WFS); I bet it would be good for golfers too.
Agree core exercises help allot as I play golf myself (8hcp at the moment). Having a strong core really helps to keep the swing stable and consistent at the top but on the way down you are able to utilize the strength and the spring effect driving from your hips, core on the way down and on through the ball.

Kb swings of different types I have found help...

But one other thing is to hit those long wods, the ones that burn and people hate. I have found this to be a building block really helps me keep my concentration during the 18holes. It feels as if I can just keep going and going.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:36 PM   #5
Clint Harris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Nichols View Post
Quick question, anyone got golf specific exercises you can pass on?
Check out sites like mytpi.com for ideas. WFS

Like the throwers, you need a stable core and a flexible spine. Shoulder health and upper back health/mobility is huge. Being explosive never hurt. So doing things like the snatch and power cleans will translate well to golf.

I like OHS and do these with my driver to warm the swing up on first tee - the mobility needed to do this, with an upright torso, translates well into posture in the swing.

Grip strength goes a long way. Specifically strength in your fingers and forearms. I'm sure you've heard the phrase "hold onto the club like it's a baby bird". Well that's true, however they never said what sort of bird eh ? Think screaming eagle not baby sparrow. Maintaining consistent pressure in the grip is usually where a lot of golfers go wrong. A lot. Look at their gloves all full of holes and an inability to hit out of thick rough.

Ideally, you want to hold the club tight without introducing tension into the rest of your body from the wrists up. If you can crush in your fingers but leave wrists loose, it'll serve you well (That's what a waggle is). Increase grip strength means it's not so much of a max effort to apply force on the golf shaft (and maintain pressure throughout) so your tension is ultimately less. Like doing WOD with 135# when it's 50% of max rather than 85%. Throughout the swing you want to hold that "lag" but be able to deliver the club with forward lean - hold the angles - but also not have the pressure change too much (it will always increase throughout).

Cardio helps a lot if you are walking and playing in the heat. Look at doing battle ropes. Push a sled while you're at it to get the back/glutes/hammies active. Kettlebells = awesome (no need for american either).

I like the idea of K2E/T2B but I'd keep them strict. The last thing you need to do is **** your hands and shoulders up through kipping.

Keep your shoulders healthy, your core solid, your hands in strong good shape and strong forearms.

If you haven't figured this game out out yet, a few exercises won't help or hurt it - just do it for general health and wellness. It's probably a fruitless endeavor to pursue specific exercises for golf without any game or goals .... anything will work.

If you have figured it out, then hold on for the ride - getting stronger can totally jack your game up. That iron that went 185yards with a 5yd draw now goes 188 with a 3 yard draw. It's just enough to be hitting the ball better but score worse until you adjust. Line and length off just enough to be brutal.
It's also tough hitting a 60 yard wedge 65 or more.
Takes time to adjust and can mess with your head ... because you may back off on the next shot and hit it 55 or fat.
The above can simply be from being able to maintain better angles with the club. If you happen to increase swing speed with the driver, then it will find your faults.

Good luck
Old 04-29-2015, 08:45 AM   #6
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Thanks all for the reply's, I have been sick the last few days so I have not been on the boards. I will post more about it later. Though it is about a 12yo girl in school and she realizes that strength will help her game.

I went over some golf band holds. Then we worked oly after a good warm up. She understands that overall strength(core) and so forth will help her game.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:18 AM   #7
Alex Burden

Profile:

Resistance bands work a treat with minimal risk
Old 05-21-2015, 10:56 AM   #8
Danny Bostwick

Profile:

I've been looking for it for a while, but can't find it. Anywho, there's a Glassman talk about sport specific training somewhere, and in a nutshell, what I took away from it is that their sport specific training needs are to practice thier sports. Your job is to increase thier work capacity across broad times and modal domains.

As a golfer, he needs a strong midline with powerful hips & flexible shoulders, what better way to obtain those goals than overhead squats. He'll need to be able to walk a long way, so incorporate some longer runs into his training. He needs to be tough mentally, and what better way to train that than Crossfit. So give him a solid amount of Crossfit, and he'll be golden.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:52 PM   #9
Chris Sinagoga

Profile:

Danny, that was his lecture to a bunch of doctors and PT's if I recall correctly.

http://championsclub.squarespace.com...cles-pt-1.html

(w/f safe)
Old 06-01-2015, 01:38 PM   #10
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:

I once saw long drive champion Jason Zuback on TV and they showed him working out. One thing I remember is him using the torso twist machine.