CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-17-2008, 09:29 PM   #1
Karin Jonczak

Profile:
Level I cert... ??

I am trying to decide if I should do the cert in Georgia in April... it would just be a 'because I want to' kind of thing. I don't plan on teaching or coaching, but I am fairly sure it would help my own xFit (especially since I do it on my own 99% of the time).

Thoughts on the benefits? (its not exactly pocket change!!)

Also, I would put myself at just fit beginner (at least according to the sheet at Level 4 Seattle)... am I fit enough?

Karin
Old 02-17-2008, 10:06 PM   #2
Elliot Fuller

Profile:
Re: Level I cert... ??

To the best of my knowledge, you don't have to be fit to go to a cert. They do WODs at some of the certs, I believe, but they're on a voluntary basis and are probably good for getting real live experience and criticisms. From what I've seen there's a lot of form work using PVC and that sort of thing, which should be fine for just about anyone.

If I had the money I'd throw down in a heartbeat and head over to one, because, like you said, it can only help you in the long run. Many folks on here will tell you that it's money VERY well spent, whether you're looking to coach or just to train.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:12 AM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

Yes, you are fit enough. (If you can climb that rock in your avatar, you're ready.)

As Elliot said, you don't *have* to be fit, but, realistically, you'll probably enjoy it more if you can actually "do" as well as "watch and listen" . . . so having a minimum level of conditioning makes sense. You don't have to be a CrossFit monster, though.

The value is fantastic for anyone who wants to learn about fitness, for any reason. Seriously, I've gone to two different Level I certs purely for the sheer pleasure of the company and the learning . . . like you, I don't anticipate teaching or coaching anytime soon. For me, it was money well-spent (but, yes, you gotta be able to afford it).

Especially if you're working alone, your own understanding of CrossFit, and your own training, will improve greatly.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:34 AM   #4
Brad Thompson

Profile:

I am going to a level 1 in Virginia Beach in a month. I don't think I can climb that rock!

I have some aspirations of becoming a trainer and/or affiliating, but am letting that happen if and when it feels right to do so. I don't see any negative to attending the certification. I do see a lot of positives. Besides which - as a teacher - I am loaded down with cash.

Really, I just want a bigger cup of kool-aid!

Do you ever go to the affiliate there in Nashville? I'm about an hour and a half from there.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:41 AM   #5
Karin Jonczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Thompson View Post
I am going to a level 1 in Virginia Beach in a month. I don't think I can climb that rock!

I have some aspirations of becoming a trainer and/or affiliating, but am letting that happen if and when it feels right to do so. I don't see any negative to attending the certification. I do see a lot of positives. Besides which - as a teacher - I am loaded down with cash.

Really, I just want a bigger cup of kool-aid!

Do you ever go to the affiliate there in Nashville? I'm about an hour and a half from there.
I am a member of the CrossFit gym in Nashville, but mostly for the gym... I haven't done one of the classes. I have to admit I don't always like the WOD's they do, though it would be nice to have someone kicking my in the workouts!!

KK
Old 02-18-2008, 10:50 AM   #6
Karin Jonczak

Profile:

Deposit PLACED!!
Old 02-18-2008, 11:41 AM   #7
Jason Karr

Profile:

I am in the same boat as you and really thinking about it. I really should just go ahead and pony up the money.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:09 PM   #8
Karin Jonczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Karr View Post
I am in the same boat as you and really thinking about it. I really should just go ahead and pony up the money.

DOOO EETTT!!!!
Old 02-19-2008, 11:14 AM   #9
James Kitcher Jr.

Profile:

Fantastic call on going. It's sooo worth it.

I was at the Level 1 Cert in Santa Cruz and learned a ton about what CF is, what fitness is, importance of technique, about virtuosity, how to teach movements and so forth. It was an invaluable experience. On top of the actual content of the cert -- meeting and training with other CF'ers was just as great an experience.

All of the movements are taught with pvc / dowls or medi balls. Even so, all of that practice is a workout and a bit more so I think if you lack some flexibility (like me) and have to fight for the proper position. You learn alot about form, how to progressively teach the movements and how to spot problems and give corrective cue's.

Of course we got dosed 2x with WOD's (Fight Gone Bad and another squat clean / burpee couplet)...and the experience of doing it at a cert is a lot different than at your globo gym on your own. You really get fired up and there's more intensity. You do your best and that's it. I knew going in I was going to be one of the "less fit" people there because I'd only been training for 3 months and been fairly sedentary for 14 years. That said, I was at the tail end of my group in the second day's WOD and all I got was encouragement -- people screaming and cheering for me.

That was fantastic.

I think you'll do just fine. Enjoy it!
Old 02-19-2008, 05:36 PM   #10
Nick Hanson

Profile:

not to jack this thread, but James, I did that burpee, medi ball clean workout on monday with Adrian (my coach in SF). That was hard!! what time did you do? I rolled in with an 11:02.