CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-03-2006, 01:54 AM   #1
Jason Donaldson

Profile:
I'm presently outfitting my garage gym and am about to purchase an oly bar and plates. What I am looking at are completely rubber coated grip plates AU$3.80/kg (around US$5/kg) and a 7ft, 500kg rated oly bar with stainless steel sleeves AU$380 (around US$500). How does that gear sound, bearing in mind I'm in Western Australia and suppliers are limited?
Old 10-03-2006, 09:42 PM   #2
Ronnie Ashlock

Profile:
Don't know what's available for you in Australia, but the preferred Olympic bars here in the states are by Pendlay, Chapman, York and Eleiko. The Pendlay and Chapman bars are at or are lower than the price range you are quoting, but I'm sure with shipping you would end up going over that price range. Not sure on the York bar, but the Eleiko bar is generally always going to come in at the top of the list, price-wise.

Are you planning on doing the Olympic lifts? If so, stay away from the rubber coated plates unless you absolutely have no choice. The plates you are looking for are fine for slow lifts (deadlift, bench, etc., but if you have to drop them.... bang. Not a pleasant experience for you, the weights, or your floor. If possible, get real bumpers if you plan on doing the Olympic lifts. This advice applies to the bar as well. Don't cheap out on your bar if you are going to pursue Olympic lifting with any frequency. You might not believe it, but it does make a HUGE difference.

Again, I realize it might be difficult where you are living to get these things, but I'd thought I'd just encourage you to get quality gear if you can afford it and if it is available. I know he's on the other side of the continent, but maybe Don Stevenson could offer some advice.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:20 PM   #3
Jason Donaldson

Profile:
Thanks Ronnie. I will be doing the Oly lifts, similar to what is prescribed in the WOD. From reading CFJ #1, I thought the rubber composite plates were the best sort to get. In the article on garage gyms, Coach Glassman mentions, "As far as plates go we highly recommend that you go with solid rubber composition plates. These plates are safer and quieter than steel and even regular bumper plates. If we were outfitting our facility again we’d go all rubber and almost no steel." A photo of the plates I'm looking at is attached. Are these the same thing as rubber composition plates? Or something different altogether http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/30996.jpg
Old 10-04-2006, 12:17 AM   #4
Ronnie Ashlock

Profile:
Those aren't bumpers and I wouldn't want to use them for Olympic lifting. You really should get solid rubber bumpers, not rubber coating on metal plates.

Here's what I'm talking about:

http://www.biggerfasterstronger.com/p_pDetails.asp?pID=642&category=13&subcatego ry=34&size=0&search=&page=

or

http://store.wfwclub.com/90kgbumperset.html

and here is a good bar at a great price:

http://store.wfwclub.com/me20webar.html

There is even a Crossfit special from WFW featuring a good bar and bumpers that would serve you well:

http://store.wfwclub.com/crweset.html

Unfortunately, I don't know if Glenn Pendlay ships to Australia. Other vendors like York (Alison Foreman posts here a lot) might ship there. Maybe she will post on this thread.

If you had a pair of 10 kg and 15 kg bumpers and a couple of the 5 kg or 2.5 kg small plates for incremental increases in weight you would have all you need to learn the Olympic lifts and do a Crossfit WOD.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:54 AM   #5
Allison Foreman

Profile:
Hi, Ronnie and Jason. York does have distributors in Australia - I'll forward your email address down there, if its okay with you. That would save you bundles in freight charges. And Ronnie is completely correct - the plates you show aren't for Olympic lifting. They appear to be a simple rubber covered grip plate, not designed for drops (and just think of the bounce angles with all those sides!). Email me and let me know if its okay to forward your info!
Allison Foreman, York Barbell
Old 10-04-2006, 05:06 AM   #6
Paul MacManus

Profile:
HI Jason,

contact buffalo sports in Brisbane.
www.buffalosports.com.au
Ask for the Eleiko and Buffalo pricelists as well as the training plates.
I bought 200kg of rubber coated plates ( not bumpers but better than the ones you pictured as round and colour coded) for $ 2.86 per KG inc GST, plus about $1 per KG freight to Perth. You only need bumpers if you want to drop from overhead and have a lifting platform. Rubber grip plates are fine for garage gyms
They are the Australian distie for Eleiko.
I bought a Eleiko Powerlifting bar for $1300, the OLY competition version is about $40 more, but the have a IWF weightlifting approved bar for about $600.
Eleiko is the only international brand I can find as the Ivanko distributor dropped the Agency.
Australian Barbell makes a decent bar for about $500 but unless you have a fitness business their pricing is not competitive to buy direct

I'm in bayswater if you want to check the weights I have out. email me at macmad AT iinet.net.au

cheers

Paul

(Message edited by paul_macmanus on October 04, 2006)

(Message edited by paul_macmanus on October 04, 2006)
Old 10-04-2006, 06:18 AM   #7
Jason Donaldson

Profile:
Thanks all. Allison, I've sent you an email and Paul, I've checked out Buffalo. It seems they've got a distributor in Canning Vale, which is about 10 mins from me, so I'm going to suss them out tomorrow. I didn't think it would be this hard to get some decent gear. I'm geting a 7ft Aust Barbell Co 500kg rated stainless oly bar from a mob in Bassendean for $360, so that's sorted. Just gotta get some plates. Starting to get frustrating :angry:
Old 10-04-2006, 03:15 PM   #8
Paul MacManus

Profile:
I don't think the Perth distributor carries the olympic weights, I had to order from Brisbane.
The weights are good quality though.
here's the pricelist, note the plates are not all the same size, the 25's are 45cm, the 20's 42 and the 15's and 10's smaller still.
Attached Files
File Type: doc TRAINING WEIGHTLIFTING PLATES.doc (32.0 KB, 216 views)
Old 10-04-2006, 08:31 PM   #9
Jason Donaldson

Profile:
Thanks Paul, I'm onto it. I'm also waiting on an email from Gymcare in Bassendean. They deal with the Aust Barbell Co, and are getting back to me with prices on their range of Oly plates. I can't believe the gear they can get in the US compared to some of the rubbish we've got over here. And have you ever actually tried to find someone who can give you some instruction on correct Oly lifting technique. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but I haven't found anyone yet who is qualified and willing.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:13 AM   #10
Misael Lopez

Profile:
Try this one:
Bob Pavone - President, Weightlifting WA
Mobile 04-0708-4875
He gives oly lift instruction on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday evenings at the South Freo Football Club. I started going, but then backed off cause my ankle inflexibility was interfering with my form. I'll go back soon.

Give him a shout.