CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-12-2010, 02:06 PM   #1
Shane Skowron

Profile:
What the World Eats

I found this really fascinating.

http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/...the-world-eats (wfs)

Apparently it was pulled from this site originally, although I can't get it to work: http://www.whattheworldeats.com/index.htm (wfs)

Discuss.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
Mark Markley

Profile:
Re: What the World Eats

I think I've seen the original site before. Pretty telling when the Western countries are eating mostly food in a box.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
David Meverden

Profile:

Yeah.

Cool slide show, thanks for sharing!

The most striking comparison is, of course, the fruits and vegetables. I like how most of the foreign tables have like half their table covered with fruits and veggies. The Americans have a tiny corner.

I kind of want to do that with myself now.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Yeah.

Cool slide show, thanks for sharing!

The most striking comparison is, of course, the fruits and vegetables. I like how most of the foreign tables have like half their table covered with fruits and veggies. The Americans have a tiny corner.

I kind of want to do that with myself now.

Yeah. I got this from another forum and a bunch of people basically said "look at all the fruits and vegetables...other countries must be so healthy." The truth is there are very few cultures today who eat what can be considered an ideal diet suitable for heavy athletic training. It's true the Western diets portrayed look like crap, but so do most of the other diets. It's easy to romanticize some other culture's diet.

Some poorer countries do not have access to basically any protein save a few scraps of meat and some fish, and even in African countries fat calories are very hard to come by.

When I studied abroad in Egypt last year it was so hard for me to find adequate sources of protein for my training, aside from milk. But there were so many vegetables and stuff that I was able to get a ton of nutrients.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the world's best strength athletes come from countries that eat meat and drink milk often, like the US, Canada, UK, Scandinavian countries, Poland, Russia, etc. I remember reading somewhere that many young Chinese weightlifters cannot gain weight because they are too poor to afford adequate protein.

Last edited by Shane Skowron : 02-12-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:28 AM   #5
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Yeah. I got this from another forum and a bunch of people basically said "look at all the fruits and vegetables...other countries must be so healthy." The truth is there are very few cultures today who eat what can be considered an ideal diet suitable for heavy athletic training. It's true the Western diets portrayed look like crap, but so do most of the other diets. It's easy to romanticize some other culture's diet.

Some poorer countries do not have access to basically any protein save a few scraps of meat and some fish, and even in African countries fat calories are very hard to come by.

When I studied abroad in Egypt last year it was so hard for me to find adequate sources of protein for my training, aside from milk. But there were so many vegetables and stuff that I was able to get a ton of nutrients.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the world's best strength athletes come from countries that eat meat and drink milk often, like the US, Canada, UK, Scandinavian countries, Poland, Russia, etc. I remember reading somewhere that many young Chinese weightlifters cannot gain weight because they are too poor to afford adequate protein.
That was my other reaction: I'm very thankful to get to eat meat at every meal, if I so choose.

I agree that these diets are not suited to heavy athletic training, but since most people don't do heavy athletic training I think the assessment of the diets being pretty healthy is a pretty good one. Considering that meat consumption is typically linked to higher morbidity I think it's hard to argue that if ones goal is purely to live to a ripe old age usefully these people are at too much of a disadvantage.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:39 AM   #6
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
That was my other reaction: I'm very thankful to get to eat meat at every meal, if I so choose.
after seeing this.. me too.