CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:46 PM   #31
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Re: "Born to Run" Unintentionally Praises Crossfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Sullivan View Post
Has anyone done MovNat? I personally am adamant against anything that costs a lot of money like that...

Same question for the Monkey Bar Gym stuff (has anyone done it?). I feel like many of the workouts they have are almost too complicated.
Wait a second, I just noticed something. You're adamant against doing something that costs a lot of money, yet you are a Crossfitter?

Are you working out in a commercial gym or at an affiliate? Or did you spend the money to put a garage gym together for yourself?
Old 03-03-2010, 07:31 PM   #32
Kyle Sullivan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
Wait a second, I just noticed something. You're adamant against doing something that costs a lot of money, yet you are a Crossfitter?

Are you working out in a commercial gym or at an affiliate? Or did you spend the money to put a garage gym together for yourself?
I really just started, but I am currently working out at my college's gym.

The reason I said that about MovNat, for example, is that I don't really understand why someone should pay that much money to do the things in nature that they do. If I really wanted to do that, I would quit school and go live in Sierra, Nevada in the wilderness.

I'm really just being the devil's advocate here, and the thread has already gotten really off topic.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:12 PM   #33
Derek Weaver

Profile:

I guess the point the point as I see it is that MovNat is a philosophy that holds an expensive seminar when a quick dose of google fu would likely provide the necessary information. Conditioning Research had some stuff, I think an interview or two, with the guy maybe 2 years ago.

Crossfit is a philosophy of programming that holds multiple expensive seminars when a quick youtube search, a little goofle-fu and a browse through a couple old school books on wrestling and football conditioning would turn up an approximately equal and sufficient knowledge base to perform the activity required. The only real difference I see is that MovNat is free past the seminar. Crossfit is never really free past the main site workout.

How different are they?
Old 03-04-2010, 09:03 PM   #34
Caitlin Iverson

Profile:

If FREE is what you are after I would check out the new Monkey Bar Gym website -- http://monkeybargym.com/full-body-workouts.html -- You can watch what we did this week!! -- Check out the Workout Videos of the Exercises with the owner Jon Hinds, there is even a FREE online timer for the workouts, and a down-loadable chart to record your results

J-Rock, Sasha, Una, Fighters Card Deck, D-Block -- Let me know what is your favorite workout!!
Old 03-05-2010, 07:37 AM   #35
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:

Beyond CrossFit, MoveNat, and Monkey Gym...just move down to the Copper Canyons and live a simple life where you lived off the land and had no actual access to technology. Caballo Blanco did it.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:38 AM   #36
Kyle Sullivan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlin Iverson View Post
If FREE is what you are after I would check out the new Monkey Bar Gym website -- http://monkeybargym.com/full-body-workouts.html -- You can watch what we did this week!! -- Check out the Workout Videos of the Exercises with the owner Jon Hinds, there is even a FREE online timer for the workouts, and a down-loadable chart to record your results

J-Rock, Sasha, Una, Fighters Card Deck, D-Block -- Let me know what is your favorite workout!!
Please stop.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:39 AM   #37
Kyle Sullivan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Yoon View Post
Beyond CrossFit, MoveNat, and Monkey Gym...just move down to the Copper Canyons and live a simple life where you lived off the land and had no actual access to technology. Caballo Blanco did it.
Too true my friend. Too true
Old 03-06-2010, 04:29 PM   #38
Troy Britton-Coe

Profile:

Having read the book, i'd agree it is very interesting and definitely something crossfitters would enjoy. I'm not sure how much what the book implies to readers about fitness in general is similar to CF. If i can remember correctly, it has been a few months since i read it, the author suggests that neanderthals?!?(spelling) went extinct because they were physically unsuited to changing environments around the world when he clearly states that they were much more superior physical specimens than homosapiens. That doesn't make any sense in my mind when CF promotes, in my opinion, a type of fitness more in common with the way the author describes neanderthals as a species.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:03 AM   #39
Kyle Sullivan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Britton-Coe View Post
Having read the book, i'd agree it is very interesting and definitely something crossfitters would enjoy. I'm not sure how much what the book implies to readers about fitness in general is similar to CF. If i can remember correctly, it has been a few months since i read it, the author suggests that neanderthals?!?(spelling) went extinct because they were physically unsuited to changing environments around the world when he clearly states that they were much more superior physical specimens than homosapiens. That doesn't make any sense in my mind when CF promotes, in my opinion, a type of fitness more in common with the way the author describes neanderthals as a species.
Yeah, that part of the book had me raising an eyebrow or two. The facts weren't exactly straight as far as I could see.

But anyway, regarding my original post in the thread, I think people who already replied are looking at it way too literally. The whole point of the quote is that humans need to keep doing different things every day, or else our bodies get used to repetitive actions, and thus can't get any stronger, faster, etc. Crossfit fits this guideline pretty darn well, IMHO.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #40
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Sullivan View Post
Yeah, that part of the book had me raising an eyebrow or two. The facts weren't exactly straight as far as I could see.

But anyway, regarding my original post in the thread, I think people who already replied are looking at it way too literally. The whole point of the quote is that humans need to keep doing different things every day, or else our bodies get used to repetitive actions, and thus can't get any stronger, faster, etc. Crossfit fits this guideline pretty darn well, IMHO.
Except that's not an accurate statement. Strength training benefits from regular practice and repetition of movement.

So does aerobic capacity.

Humans may want to do different things everyday, and may be well suited to do so, but we don't need to do different things to keep from becoming physically stagnant.

Ask any powerlifter worth his salt what he did for his beginner and intermediate phases and I'd hazard a guess that 90%+ did the same thing for months or even years at a time.