CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-10-2010, 10:17 AM   #51
Jean-Patrick Millette

Profile:
Re: Saturated Fats

nvm...
Old 03-10-2010, 10:19 AM   #52
Jean-Patrick Millette

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
1. Avoid processed food.

2. Plants (vegetables, fruits, seeds and herbs) and animals (meat, fish, fowl, and eggs) should represent the entire composition of your diet.

OR

Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar. (you should know where this one is from)

If saturated fat is in there from the meat, fish, fowl, eggs then so be it. It's HEALTHY (given that it's grassfed et al... if not you may have to supplement with fish oil... hence why most of us do that).
And what about, say coconut milk? I drink alot of it. I know its included in your description, but would a can a day (60g of fat most of it satured) be bad for you? I have found that its amazing for me...
Old 03-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #53
Thomas Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Patrick Millette View Post
I have found that its amazing for me...
And that's the key, no?!
Old 03-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #54
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Shaw View Post
I'm not saying that you should eat spoonfuls of fat or go gulping down oil, but plenty of research has shown MCT's to be effective in weight loss wfs (ie http://www.absoluteorganix.co.za/mct1.pdf), add in the other benefits of coconut an palm kernel oils that were discussed earlier and it may be wise to use small amounts of these oils while cooking and preparing foods instead of the zero calorie sprays and other lower quality oils. That was all I was saying.
That link is regarding a study on functional oil which is a specially derived mix of MCT's and flax oil. The majority of studies on MCT show fat loss equal to maybe a quarter of a pound a week at most. Most of these studies were done using pure MCT, not coconut milk.

It's interesting to see MCTmake a comeback with the whole coconut fad. They are now marketed as a wonder fat. In the 80's at the height of the low carb craze they were sold as "the fat that act's like a carb".

I eat coconut milk and sometimes cook with coconut oil, but neither are necessary for good health.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #55
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

There was a low carb craze in the 80's? I guess I'm too young to remember.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:38 PM   #56
Jean-Patrick Millette

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger Lavin View Post
That link is regarding a study on functional oil which is a specially derived mix of MCT's and flax oil. The majority of studies on MCT show fat loss equal to maybe a quarter of a pound a week at most. Most of these studies were done using pure MCT, not coconut milk.

It's interesting to see MCTmake a comeback with the whole coconut fad. They are now marketed as a wonder fat. In the 80's at the height of the low carb craze they were sold as "the fat that act's like a carb".

I eat coconut milk and sometimes cook with coconut oil, but neither are necessary for good health.
i eat about 200g or more of fat a day. Less than 100g of carbs a day. No grains, no legume, no dairy. Coconut milk act like a carb for me. It keeps me full, it gives me energy. I even use it postworkout and i have been feeling way better... Im not saying the claim is true for everybody, but im saying fat is a decent energy provider.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #57
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
There was a low carb craze in the 80's? I guess I'm too young to remember.
\

Oops typ0, meant los fat.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:43 PM   #58
Trevor Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger Lavin View Post

Of course neither are essential for "good health" but they definitely don't hurt and we know this because they are important parts of normal bodily functions, whether your body synthesizes them or not. My argument was if they contribute to poor health and they do not!

As for the article, whether it mentioned coconut milk or oil, it matters not We are talking about the medium chain triglycerides (capric/ lauric) that make up the oils found in both those substances and their benefits, not the milk or oil as a whole.

Last edited by Trevor Shaw; 03-10-2010 at 03:51 PM..
Old 03-10-2010, 09:48 PM   #59
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Patrick Millette View Post
And what about, say coconut milk? I drink alot of it. I know its included in your description, but would a can a day (60g of fat most of it satured) be bad for you? I have found that its amazing for me...
Why wouldn't it?
Old 03-11-2010, 03:05 AM   #60
Thomas Jones

Profile:

Am I right in saying that if I use coconut oil to cook my food that it goes orange the following day? I'm looking at the chicken I cooked last night and there's, um, orange bits on it.