CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-16-2007, 11:14 PM   #1
Ryan Beasley

Profile:
I have read through the majority of the archived posts on the Zone and have read Mastering the Zone. But still I have a few questions before I start.

I am 22 yrs old, 5'9" at 165 at 13% bf (used Mastering Zone appendix), CF 3 on 1 off, and have an active job installing flooring.

I was guessing that I am around 17 blocks, would this be correct?

Also I am looking to gain lean mass, I see everyone talking about fat 3x, does this mean 3 extra fat blocks overall or at each meal, is this something I should add from the beginning?

Thanks

(Message edited by cswgrappler on January 16, 2007)
Old 01-17-2007, 05:24 PM   #2
Luis Munoz

Profile:
I'd say 17 blocks would be about right assuming that you are not looking to gain weight. If you're looking to gain weight then you might want to consider increasing your daily block total.

If you don't want to gain weight and you find yourself leaning out on the 17 blocks (very likely), then you can begin adding fat once you get to a BF% with which you are comfortable.

What people are referring to when they say "2X or 3X fat blocks" is a doubling (2X) or tripling (3X) of the total number of daily fat blocks one consumes. This means that instead of eating 17 fat blocks you would need to consume 34 fat blocks on a 2X fat Zone or 51 fat blocks on a 3X fat Zone. The idea is to start adding fat slowly to your diet until you find the appropriate level that will maintain your weight, BF%, and energy levels. I read of people going up to 5X fat pretty regularly but this seems to be a very individual thing.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:27 PM   #3
Ryan Beasley

Profile:
Luis, thanks for the response. My goal is to lean out while slowing adding lean muscle.

So would you just start at like 19 blocks or start at 17 blocks with 2x the fat? I have seen both ways recomended does any one have personal experience between the two?